FWC Cost Compared to ATC

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Rob in MT

Rob in MT

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:30 PM

I'v put together a comaprison of costs of a FWC Eagle and ATC Bobcat. Is the greater cost of the FWC ($2600) justified? thanks for your help.

FWC Eagle ATC Bobcat Comment
Power Roof Vent $ 590.00 $ 550.00
Furnace $ 495.00 $ 475.00
Front Window $ 175.00 $ 150.00 Slider on ATC, full open on FWC
Rear Window $ 0.00 $ 155.00 Not available on FWC
Elec Pump $ 95.00 $ 80.00
Aux Bat $ 395.00 $ 375.00
Screen Door $ 235.00 $ 215.00
Rear Wall Steps $ 195.00 $ 175.00
Roof Rack $ 235.00 $ 210.00
Rear Flood $ 165.00 $ 145.00
Extra Cabover $ 575.00 $ 0.00 Cabover standard with ATC.
Install $ 395.00 $ 295.00
Doc Fee $ 45.00 $ 35.00
ReferNoFrzr $ 700.00 $ 675.00
Camper Jacks $ 595.00 $ 550.00
Swing Out $ 260.00 $ 185.00
Awning $ 695.00 $ 550.00
Solar $ 995.00 $ 740.00
Artic Pac $ 475.00 $ 455.00
110v $ 0.00 $ 250.00
Dead bolt $ 0.00 $ 45.00 FWC comes with the deadbolt
Camper $ 10,350.00 $ 8,895.00
$ 17,665.00 $ 15,205.00
Sales tax $ 1,369.04 $ 1,178.39
$ 19,034.04 $ 16,383.39 FWC is $2651 more

#2 OffRoadJoe

OffRoadJoe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:00 PM

that is a loaded question :)

just my opinons below ...

you should not have to pay the CA sales tax if you have the camper delivered to MT or pick the camper up in Reno, NV (I think FWC has a shop for installs in Reno now ?)

cost now vs. cost later might depend on how long you are going to keep the camper

but I would almost put money on the fact that you could make up that new camper cost difference just in the resale value alone. The FWC have a 35 year reputation and a great name brand recognition. Selling a new camper no one has heard of will take a little more effort and you will usually not get as much $$ back out of it.

Quality vs. Cost -- remember in most cases you get what you pay for !

Do you want a nicer camper, nicer interior, better layed out cabinets, easier to use couch, better headliner, no outside storm flaps, etc.

I have seen the older FWC's (1998-2001) and the quality & parts and pieces they used were not all that great. Although not perfect, I sure like the newer FWC's much better !

you might want to take a look at this thread they put together ...

http://www.fourwh.co...Ccomparison.htm

again, just my 2cents worth

#3 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:03 PM

The campers are very comparable. I'm busy, so this rambles, sorry.

I purchased ATC based on better customer service. Cost was NOT a consideration! As a nice plus, ATC needed less lead time than FWC. Negatively, ATC needed more deposit than FWC.

I am uncertain you can get the rear window on the Bobcat. I have the rear window and LIKE it. Ben told me I wouldn't be able to see out the windows while driving, but I can. At least well enough to supplement my mirrors. (I often drive with the couch back on the seat.)

Most of the things I originally thought were FWC advantages I am less certain of now. For example storm windows: ATC has them, FWC doesn't... I;m certain (basic physics!) the ATC has an advantage in a hard rain storm! Clearly the Panther has a layout advantage over the Hawk in that I can easily stand up and use the sink with the bed "pulled out", can't do that in the Hawk. (Not an issue for you in the Bobcat/Eagle). I like the FWC folding couch better, in theory, but might have issue with it in practice. I certainly like the Porta Pottie FWC storage better (I will eventually mod my ATC to make it better than either).

Note that the FWC comes with a converter/charger? ($350). Not a big deal if you go solar. FWIW I'd skip the 110 if you go ATC. The refer should still do 110 in your driveway, everything else can be done with a power strip, if needed.

If you buy one power vent, consider 2! I've heard more regrets about not buying 2 than regrets about the extra cash spent...

I suspect the ATC sliding cabinet doors will hold up better than the vertically and horizontally hinged cabinetry on the FWC. Just an opinion.

As far as resale goes, I don't think you'll get $1500 more for the FWC than the ATC.

Finally, if you buy from FWC go through Stan! Don't mess with anyone else.

The real question is this: will ATC be in business long enough to honor their warranties? I think so. More importantly, I don't think I'll need any major warranty work. Also, either company can repair the other's camper.

Quality vs cost: as a general rule, I agree. It may be true here, but for some perspective ATC has less "chiefs" to pay a cut to. Also, where the heck are you gonna cheap out? The camper is pretty simple.

Bottom line: both are great campers! Just get one and start camping!

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#4 OffRoadJoe

OffRoadJoe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:34 PM

good reply

glad to see others posting responses !

:)

time will tell the real story on the differences between the 2 campers, the hard part is that you won't know if you made the right choice until you see how the 2 different campers hold up after 2 years, 4 years, 8 years, 15 years, etc.

The ATC is probably a well built camper, I just don't like the quality of the parts and pieces they are using, that would be my only concern. And I don't think I would want the wider built camper -- narrower is what I prefer.

And after you really nit pick the options and what comes with each camper, there really is not that much price difference between the 2. Yes, there is a price difference, but I don't think it is as much as what is listed, but maybe ? Haven't done a price comparison like that yet. Maybe its time ? -- laughs

#5 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:16 PM

Might as well wade in on this.
I do not think anyone can answer your ?,as everyone has their ideas as to what is best for them.I read about how some people have to have every item in the catalog and still want more,or they do not like how the items do work once they get them,i think you get my drift.
You need to do your homework BEFORE you buy,just reading threads/posts you can get a feel for how each unit works and you should be able to match someones usage to match yours.
What i have learned is that both units are equal as to how they are built (the two companys have a history in regards to owners)
I doubt if most of us buy these campers with the thought of the resale value,i know i bought mine to use, and when and if i sell it will be because i've gone on to something new,and will sell without worrying about how much i will get back.
If you are overly concerned about cost you should not buy new but look for a used camper (there are many great deals out there if you are willing to search)
I say this from experience as i ordered a shell when i bought mine and from the time i put my money down to the time i picked the unit up i ran across 3 great buys that i could of striped out and ended up with what i wanted for less than half the price of what i paid for the shell!(remember it is used from the day you buy it so you will take the hit when you buy new!
I was not aware of this forum before i bought if i had been i would of bought used.
I agree if you buy new deal with Stan (4WC) or Ben (ATC) I bought mine in Riverside ca. and it was a crappy experience If i knew i would of driven to Sacramento in a heart beat!
This is just my 5 cents worth (inflation!)
Drive slow and enjoy "its the Journey"
Les,Lqhikers

#6 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:53 PM

This might sound a bit weird, but it might be worth flying down here for a day and looking at both campers up close & in person (if at all possible).

If you are going to invest $15,000 - $18,000 in a new camper, it is probably worth spending an extra $ 400.00 for a "same day" round trip plane ride to Sacramento. Get a round trip plane fair for the same day and a $ 30.00 rental car, you can see both campers and what they are all about, and make an educated decesion on what will work best for you.

The FWC factory and the ATC shop are probably 45 minutes apart.

Let me know if you have any questions I can help with.

I would be gald to help in any way I can.

Attached Thumbnails

• 999.jpg
  • 1010.jpg

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#7 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationCentral California Sierra Nevadas

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:03 AM

Here goes;

Both campers are good, if you are one for details the FWC is ahead. It's been said here before, ATC is building what FWC was making 10 years ago (or whenever Ben & co left) while there have been no huge advancements by FWC (which I find disappointing) there are many little design and material improvements by FWC. I am the kind of person that appreciates these things. If you are the kind of person that buys furniture at Wal-Mart & tools at Harbor Freight then save a few bucks & buy the ATC you'll never notice the difference.

That's all;)

#8 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:33 AM

It's Only Money.

#9 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:55 PM

it might be worth flying down here for a day and looking at both campers up close & in person

Sage advice: take it if possible.

If you are the kind of person that buys furniture at Wal-Mart & tools at Harbor Freight then save a few bucks & buy the ATC you'll never notice the difference.

I disagree. Don't buy FWC or ATC: waste of money. Buy disposable, a cheap pop-up from a local dealer...

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#10 Ron Horton

Ron Horton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:55 PM

I purchased a new ATC Panther last fall. While money was an issue in deciding between FWC or ATC, what sealed the deal for me was working with Ben at ATC. I do believe FWC has a few more bells and whistles, but I like the simplicity and proven design of the ATC.
Homebrewer 1997 T100 2007 ATC Panther 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650 1984 Honda Trail 110

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users