• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:07 PM

I know there is probably a better area to ask this but it's an FWC question for me. ADMINS please delete or move if appropriate.

I an in TX and have a concealed handgun license. I travel and most of our bordering states have a reciprocal so not a big issue. However, I am heading to CA for a couple week vacation will be actually in CA 5 days. I researched and found this :

Handguns California Penal Code section 25400 does not prohibit a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is in lawful possession of a handgun, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting the handgun by motor vehicle provided it is unloaded and stored in a locked container . (Pen . Code, § 25610 .) The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device . This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment . (Pen . Code, § 16850 .)

My question is... if in a drawer of my FWC do I need to add a lock? 

Any input appreciated!!!!

#2 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:43 PM

Yes it needs to be locked. I have a pistol vault permanently mounted in my camper.  Welcome to anti-gun California.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#3 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:53 PM

I installed one of these in my 2012 Ram 2500. Pricey but very well made. And the purchase only "hurts once"!  :wacko:

My guess is the "locked part" applies for while you are travelling. When we camp I "discreetly" move the pistol in a zippered case to the camper where it stays in an easily accessible compartment under the dinette seat by the stove.

Most of the states I travel in don't have California type firearms laws. But for me personally I feel the need to keep a firearm as secure as possible so it works well for all areas for us. My two cents...

Steve

#4 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:53 PM

If you carry during travel, this would be a good time to consider installing a more secure gun safe in the camper or truck. To many vehicle break ins these days to just put it under the seat or in the console when you get to a place that restricts carrying. 

#5 hebegebe

hebegebe

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationLA and San Diego

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:49 PM

I would think if it's in the camper and it's camper door is locked it is in the spirit of the law? That's what I do

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

#6 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:01 PM

The locked camper would be no different than a locked trunk.  You can legally carry an unloaded handgun in a drawer of the camper as long as the door is locked.  I would take it a step further and keep it in a locked box secured to the camper.  

If the camper is considered a "home", can you keep a loaded gun in the camper?

#7 W6USA

W6USA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:14 PM

I would not want to be in a gray area with CA firearms laws.  I would keep it in a separate locked container while traveling; then unlock it for easier access while present within/around the camper.

Handgunlaw.us is a great site for perusing all state's laws.  They keep it up to date.

From ^ --

"California Penal Code section 25400 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.

The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 25610. "

"Any person over the age of 18 who is not prohibited from possessing firearms, and if otherwise lawful, may keep and carry a firearm or have a firearm loaded at his or her place of residence, temporary residence, campsite, or on private property owned or lawfully possessed by the person. (Penal Code §§ 12026, 12031(h) and (l).) Any person engaged in any lawful business (including nonprofit organizations) or any officer, employee, or agent authorized for lawful purposes connected with the business may possess a loaded firearm within the place of business if that person is over 18 years of age and not otherwise prohibited from possessing firearms. (Penal Code §§ 12026, 12031(h).)

NOTE: A person’s place of business, residence, temporary residence, campsite, or private property
may be located in areas where possession of handguns or other firearms, whether loaded or
unloaded, is otherwise prohibited. Such areas include, but are not limited to, state, federal, or private
game reserves or refuges, federal and state parks, and other public lands. Questions regarding the applicability of such laws should be directed to your sheriff or chief of police, federal or state fish and game officers, or federal or state park rangers." 

Also remember that CA has a high-cap magazine ban---nothing over 10 rounds is legally allowed to be brought in.

2012 FWC Grandby

2001 Dodge C&C 3500

1997 Dodge 3500

#8 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:15 PM

If a TSA lock on a canvas bag will meet the criteria of a "locked container", then a locked camper should have no trouble qualifying.

If the camper is considered a "home", can you keep a loaded gun in the camper?

You can while parked and not on public roads, highways and their easements. It's a lot grayer when on a road or it's easement. I wouldn't suggest this.

Edited by ntsqd, 21 January 2017 - 04:17 PM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#9 W6USA

W6USA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:18 PM

A canvas bag does not meet the criteria for transporting a firearm on a plane.  It has to be in a locked, hard-sided case, which can then be put in any sort of luggage, locked or not.

2012 FWC Grandby

2001 Dodge C&C 3500

1997 Dodge 3500

#10 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 21 January 2017 - 05:10 PM

If you have high capacity mags, simply purchase a couple 10 round mags to keep with the pistol while in CA.  Hide the high cap in the camper.

South Carolina Low Country.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users