• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Oregonsurfer

Oregonsurfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:54 PM

I picked up my Fleet last weekend and had it outfitted with the Yakima bars and solar panel. I shifted the solar panel to the front and the front bar towards the back so I could add my Yakima rocket box to the roof as the inside really has limited storage.

Unfortunately adding the rocket box to the top has limited my ability to lift the back. It has the stock gas struts on it.  I sent a mail off to FWC asking for advice or product information to replace the struts and hope to hear back, but thought I'd discuss it here.

I have seen the speaker stand solution and may go with it. We hope to pop it up quicker than that though as we got the cassette toilet in there for our special needs daughter and when its time to go, we'd like to get in there and get to the potty pronto!

I assume I can buy a stronger shock, however could use a recommendation on the strut to choose.

I also considered adding another set of shocks along the side, double the struts in the back. Anyone ever done this?

I plan to keep this box (currently empty even) on the roof year round.  I will be putting stuff in there when I go camping obviously.

I don't have plans to go the gym to address this issue.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Jason

#2 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:21 PM

I would just add stronger gas struts. You probably have 40# struts. There have been other posts where someone mentioned the got the perfect strut setup that even a small 8 year old girl could raise the roof with minimal effort.

It's going to be tough to get it perfect being your weight up top could vary.
I have the speaker stand and us it all the time. I'm way more than strong enough to raise the roof, but I have tweeted my back muscles a few times, so I always use the speaker stand when raising the rear of the pop up. It does take a bit of time and patience. Many have added drill attachments, but in your situation getting stronger gas struts is your ideal starting point. They aren't that expensive.

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:48 PM

Jason, if you go with stronger struts, you may struggle a bit bringing the top down when not loaded. The speaker lift works quite well, not to mention, probably less expensive than 4 new struts.

I am haunted by waters

#4 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:01 PM

Howdy

It may be worth considering what you carry in the box and imagine another way to stow it .....access cab pickup...behind the seats ? 

Remember the weight you carry up there has to be raised AND lowered over and over again..........

Many folks make good use of various plastic tote boxes in the aisle and then move them when you need to.

Enjoy the new camper !

DavidGraves 

#5 Oregonsurfer

Oregonsurfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:57 PM

Thanks for those who have already posted.  We expect some bins in the back, but need access to the potty and a wheelchair goes back there too.  So I'll look for the larger struts. The ones I have list 15/36 on them and the closest Ive found so far are 19/36. They are only $25 so I might give a pair a try. The front doesn't have any weight on it, so I think I'll still be able to get those up with the existing.  I'll probably try the 100lb ones.  But will also keep looking for that post with the 8yr old girl comment to see which they added.

#6 strayDog

strayDog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationNorthern Calif

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:04 AM

I was told by FWC if you put too strong of struts on you can damage the roof this was a couple years ago, they may have learned more since then. Also heavier gear on top should be taken off to raise and lower.

I use one of these for storage and really like it.

https://www.stowaway...o-carrier-black

You can use a dual hitch with the carrier, however,  it does reduce the towing capacity.

Edited by strayDog, 23 February 2017 - 02:01 AM.

#7 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:22 AM

Note also... when lifting ...don't push the strut...meaning don't try to lift the roof... go slow for the shocks to work....I learnt the hard way when mine wasn't lifting as I thought it should ... I was the problem...I was pushing up before the lifter was ready to extend... it is a matter of timing. I also carry the speaker stand  Though haven't used it...as I have panels, yakima tracks/bars as well as a rack with three 2 gallon diesel cans. my 4 gas struts are 30 pound each. 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#8 NorCalHawk

NorCalHawk

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationHumboldt County, California

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:48 AM

At the time I wasn't able to add struts above the rear entry door due to the layout (curved door and lights) of my 2012 Hawk....Soon after FWC introduced connecting studs in which the strut connected to.  Anyway, I installed my struts to the rear sides of my camper, works very well. If you go with heavier struts, you may consider leaving something in the box (that you would normally carry) to counteract the power of the struts.  Otherwise, you may struggle getting the roof down when the box isn't fully loaded. Or, can you install the box onto the truck cab?       

Edited by NorCalHawk, 23 January 2017 - 12:50 AM.

#9 whwv

whwv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:44 AM

I'm in the same boat.  2016 Eagle with exterior struts.  Works great with the solar panel, works fine with an empty cargo box, feels useless with solar + cargo box + snow.

Anyone have tips for dealing with the snow?  I think the snow would be too much the speaker lifts, and I can't get to the roof to remove the snow when the top is up...

#10 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 24 January 2017 - 01:12 AM

I'm in the same boat.  2016 Eagle with exterior struts.  Works great with the solar panel, works fine with an empty cargo box, feels useless with solar + cargo box + snow.

Anyone have tips for dealing with the snow?  I think the snow would be too much the speaker lifts, and I can't get to the roof to remove the snow when the top is up...

You might think about an extending ladder, then use a snow rake.

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users