25 replies to this topic

#21 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:16 AM

The slider is useless. The side window in the side dinette and roll over couch configuration already has an emergency window. 

Slider in both truck and camper allows access to truck or camper areas; not emergency use but for retrieving or placing gear...in a rain it can save getting out of camper to get something in the cab....anyway, that is how we use it...

Phil

#22 BnKinAnacortes

BnKinAnacortes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:10 PM

We have a 2007 Keystone with the front slider window to the truck cab window. We took a quick 3 week trip to Alaska from Washington this summer and after driving 6+ hours in a rain storm we also had a water leak at the front window.  I duct taped all around the window's slider joints and center joint and across the top of the window hoping this would temp fix it, it didn't. The front parts of the cushion over the water tank and the first 6" of the couch/bed cushion were soaked.  The rain abated and the problem stopped until we were coming back down from Dawson City Yukon in the rain and again the cushions were soaked.  I noticed the windows had two slots one under each side that went through the frames in the bottom of the window.  I duct tapped those too and problem was fixed. in the next 3 days we drove through a LOT of rain and nothing leaked.  When we got into cell phone coverage I emailed FWC's service guys and they said these were "weep holes"  and that plugs were available for them.  I guess my question is what are they weeping for?  The side window doesn't have ant of these weep holes and neither does the one over the cassette toilet.  I figured out the leak finally when upon close inspection I saw fine grit (talc like) in the window channels matching the same color as the gravel chip seal roads we'd been driving on in the rain.

I understand condensation and we always have the roof vent open some and at least two of the side windows venting when we sleep or use the stove or the heater.  This worked great in Alaska this year and with the exception of drying out the cushions we never had a condensation problem.  I'm either going to leave the duct tape over these weep holes of I'm going to seal them with silicone, it just doesn't make good engineering sense to put two slots in a relative high pressure area open to road spray and then expect that nothing will penetrate these two slot drains.

BB

#23 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 22 July 2017 - 01:14 AM

I found more water on the inside of the door. I water tested the window for 30 minutes and got not a drop, but when I sprayed above the door and at the top of the door, I produced a leak with water running down the inside. There must be a gap at the rubber seal. jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#24 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 22 July 2017 - 01:29 PM

I found more water on the inside of the door. I water tested the window for 30 minutes and got not a drop, but when I sprayed above the door and at the top of the door, I produced a leak with water running down the inside. There must be a gap at the rubber seal. jd

sometimes the glass slips a down a bit and I'm not sure if they changed the design or not.  On the older FWC's, there were plastic tabs that held the glass in position.  They break from time to time.  I had to fab some spacers, etc. to keep it in place and reseal it.  It had slipped about 1/8" down and I didn't notice it until I saw water like you did.  It's an easy fix but it sounds like you already had the window frame off and I think you would have seen the issue then.  I would guess it's probably the gasket around the frame.  Good luck.  Water issues can be difficult to find.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#25 dharte

dharte

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:33 AM

Posting this for those with leaking sliding windows. Look at this months Truck Camper Magazines Mod Contest #7.  Looks like a simple fix to the problem.

I voted for this one. See below:

Our new camper has a front window behind the cab of the truck.  The window is a standard Hehr window with weep holes at the bottom of the frame.

weep-holes-let-rain-inside-camper.jpg

When we drive down the highway in a heavy rain, the weep holes let the rain water into the camper.  The RV stores have a plastic cover that will keep out some of the water, but a simple piece of tape over the holes will (a) let condensation water drip out and ( B) keep the driving rain out.

weep-cover-truck-camper.jpg

I used Gorilla tape, but duct tape should also work.  I cut a piece of tape three inches long and cut notches out of tape 1¼-inch long by ⅜-inch wide as shown in the picture.

weep-cover-2.jpg

I folded the small end where it will keep the tape from sticking to the frame of the window.  When I applied the tape to the window frame I kept the center away from the frame to form a channel for the water to drip out.

weep-cover-4.jpg

Make sure that the sticky part is applied above the weep hole so the hole is not sealed. The tape channel is long enough to keep the driving rain out of the camper.

After the mod, there are no rain leaks.  It works great!

It took me half an hour to complete this modification and cost me a few cents.  In my opinion, the skill level of this modification is easy.

Hi Folks, I know this is an old thread but after washing my truck/camper today and finding two wet front dinette cushions, I really need to fix this or have FWC replace the window.  billharr I was wondering if your tape mod has worked and held up. Also, for those of you that have opted to get it replaced, did you have to leave your camper at the dealer for multiple days or did they do it with the camper still on the truck?  Thanks

#26 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:11 PM

Hello Harte

The only fix we have found is to remove the slider window and replace it with a fixed, solid front window. If you call our service department and ask for Aaron or Roy (530) 666-1442 they should be able to get some conversations going to see how they can help you out. Thank you.

Hi Folks, I know this is an old thread but after washing my truck/camper today and finding two wet front dinette cushions, I really need to fix this or have FWC replace the window.  billharr I was wondering if your tape mod has worked and held up. Also, for those of you that have opted to get it replaced, did you have to leave your camper at the dealer for multiple days or did they do it with the camper still on the truck?  Thanks

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Leak

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users