35 replies to this topic

#1 AmyandTheFinger

AmyandTheFinger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNorthern CA

Posted 27 January 2017 - 03:16 AM

We love our 2000 FWC Hawk and have logged many wonderful miles. When we were shopping a few years back for the camper ( used) one of our must haves was dinette seating vs. bench. The deal we found was too good to pass up even though it had a bench. We would love to know if anyone has done a bench tear out and dinette build in a similar camper. Thoughts, plans, tips, suggestions?

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:32 AM

It shouldn't be that difficult to do a conversion to a side dinette, as you will have the bench to start with. If you're not wanting to do it yourself, give Marty and Jeff at ATC a call. They do very nice work, not to mention easy and great to work with.

I am haunted by waters

#3 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:44 AM

I did bench to dinette on my 2002 Hawk and build a dinette in my 2013 shell. Build of my 2013 shell here.

Video of my 2002 Hawk from when I sold it. I left it up on youtube.

Video of my 2013 Hawk when done.

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:12 PM

Bill thanks for re posting your camper work. I always enjoy viewing your workmanship.

Tell me about the mirror on the rear lift panel. We use a hand mirror and sometimes it's a real pain.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:25 AM

Bill thanks for re posting your camper work. I always enjoy viewing your workmanship.

Tell me about the mirror on the rear lift panel. We use a hand mirror and sometimes it's a real pain.

Frank

That is the stock 4WC mirror. I do need to move it down it is too high for the wife. 

#6 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:15 PM

I did bench to dinette on my 2002 Hawk and build a dinette in my 2013 shell. Build of my 2013 shell here.

Video of my 2002 Hawk from when I sold it. I left it up on youtube.

Video of my 2013 Hawk when done.

Hi Bill,

I picked up a 2005 Hawk recently and want to convert from the rollover couch to side dinette. Any idea where I can source the rollover chairs that you have? BTW - beautiful work you did on your Hawk - thanks for the pics!!

Paul

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#7 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:07 PM

Hi Bill,

I picked up a 2005 Hawk recently and want to convert from the rollover couch to side dinette. Any idea where I can source the rollover chairs that you have? BTW - beautiful work you did on your Hawk - thanks for the pics!!

Paul

You can get the roll over brackets  from FWC. ATC may also carry them. 3 years ago they were $150, I had two sets from my shell; used one and sold the other on WTW for $75.  Build your own chair back with plywood and foam.

#8 Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:45 AM

I'm a newbie here. I like Bill Harr's side dinette conversion. There are a lot of great ideas that I'd like to use in my upcoming build. Thanks for sharing the videos!

#9 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:15 PM

Hi Bill,

Paul

I believe you can use the rollover brackets off your couch. They should be the same type of brackets used on a side dinette chair. Looking at Bill's build, you should only need one chair to roll over to convert to a short bed.  If it's convenient try to visit the FWC factory and check out how they install the side dinette. Take a lot of pics and take measurements. Keep us posted on your conversion. Good luck!!

Edited by Ronin, 08 February 2017 - 04:24 PM.

#10 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:44 PM

You can get the roll over brackets  from FWC. ATC may also carry them. 3 years ago they were $150, I had two sets from my shell; used one and sold the other on WTW for $75.  Build your own chair back with plywood and foam.

I spoke to Aaron at FWC - they have the brackets, but he said if I have a rollover couch to just use the brackets off of them. I haven't looked at my couch yet because it's been raining for over a week here but it does make sense that the brackets would be the same. I can order the seat bottom cushion and back cushion from them but really pricey at $163.00 and $153.00 each. Ouch!! I'll have to put some effort into finding an upholsterer that can just modify the existing cushions that I won't be needing.

Edited by Ronin, 09 February 2017 - 05:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users