• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#11 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:13 PM

I spoke to Aaron at FWC - they have the brackets, but he said if I have a rollover couch to just use the brackets off of them. I haven't looked at my couch yet because it's been raining for over a week here but it does make sense that the brackets would be the same. I can order the seat bottom cushion and back cushion from them but really pricey at $163.00 and $153.00 each. Ouch!! I'll have to put some effort into finding an upholsterer that can just modify the existing cushions that I won't be needing.

My 2002 did not have roll over brackets, there was a pull out and you put the back on it to make the lower bed. On the 2002 I cut down the foam and plywood base on the bench to make my cushions. Good friend cut down the covers for the cushions. I did not use a roll over bracket on my 2002 Hawk. I used ski poles and brackets to hold the seat back, you can see then in the video of my 2002 Hawk.  Roll over brackets are much better and the way to go. 

#12 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:54 PM

Bill if you get this ... I have a 2011 Eagle and was thinking of doing the same change to dinette. I have the old roll over couch in the attic so have hardware. I am interested in your table set up... is that a FWC or of your own design? As I have the below couch bench already there it would be a matter of cutting off the are sides to expose the floor area between the seats  (have to relocate the second battery into a box in the corner as well).

Do you think it feasible to use the roll over couch back/bed to make the backs for the roll over?

Your work on the cabinets is great. I too will replace the counter top and switch stove and sink locations.

Your work is spot on!

Thanks in advance!

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#13 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:17 PM

Bill if you get this ... I have a 2011 Eagle and was thinking of doing the same change to dinette. I have the old roll over couch in the attic so have hardware. I am interested in your table set up... is that a FWC or of your own design? As I have the below couch bench already there it would be a matter of cutting off the are sides to expose the floor area between the seats  (have to relocate the second battery into a box in the corner as well).

Do you think it feasible to use the roll over couch back/bed to make the backs for the roll over?

Your work on the cabinets is great. I too will replace the counter top and switch stove and sink locations.

Your work is spot on!

Thanks in advance!

Rob we went with the Dinette from new,actually I think it's the 2nd one Marty made.

We really like it.

Somewhere there are posts about using the old hardware from the roll over for new seat backs.

I don't use any seat back for the rear seat as I have a storage cabinet to lean back on.

And the front has the front of the camper.

Works for us.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#14 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:48 PM

Thanks Frank... I have the hardware and the cabinet build will be okay for me ... I just need some 'not reinventing the wheel' measurements for the seat that flips (back) and subsequent foot space (distance between front and rear boxes beneath seats) where it falls to cover foot well.The table shown in the video is great how it can be repositioned. This is a great way to mollify my lust for what is so nice in the new Front dinette Fleet. I would like a place to "be out of the way" leg-wise on a rainy day inside. The bench is great for under the seat storage but that can be compensated by putting a cargo net while traveling across between the two under seat boxes (foot area) and stuffing same things there. Aren't mods fun?! It is the play time between trips making it better... like planning a next trip. This WTW-FWC is getting addicting.

Henry David Thoreau

#15 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:40 AM

Your work is spot on!

Thanks in advance!

Just got back from Oregon and the total eclipse.  I have some work I have to do tomorrow will get back to your questions on Thursday.

Note, the eclipse far exceeded my expectations.  

#16 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:10 AM

Ronin how did the conversion to dinette go? If you have photos ,love to see them.

Henry David Thoreau

#17 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 September 2017 - 03:33 PM

I think I have my plan for the conversion to side dinette using the old rollover couch hardware. I will relocate my second battery to a box built in the passenger side corner. That done and the sketch made I am down to the last measurement needed. The rollover seat back needs to be around 16-17" high so that when it rolls over and fits into the foot space. My question is to those that have done this, after looking at my sketch.... any recommendations on that seat back? 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3503.JPG

Henry David Thoreau

#18 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:01 AM

Ronin how did the conversion to dinette go? If you have photos ,love to see them.

Sorry- just read your post. The conversion went great inspired by billharr's photo's. I'll put on my contortionist outfit on tomorrow and try to get some decent shots of it to post.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#19 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:09 PM

Here's some pics of my side dinette conversion from rollover couch. My Hawk is a 2005 and I strongly suggest to all wanting to do this conversion to figure out their own measurements as there are small variations of cabinet size and configurations between different year FWCs. As a guide I have 24 1/2" between the battery box cabinet under the front window and the cabinet I built for the rollover chair. Most of the build ideas came from billharr's pics of his build. The side cabinets cases are hickory ply with maple face frames. The doors are mahogany with birch panels.I am including pics of the Truckfridge and drawer mod I did early this year. I bought my current Hawk late last year and the 3 way fridge never worked and many thanks go out to those who suggested the TF51. The fridge sits on top of a slide out made of basic plywood. The face frame and drawer are built from red oak which match the original plywood panels really well. I also installed slide outs in 2 of the small cabinets on the left bank. It takes away some from the storage room but it saves from having to dig things out to grab something.

Attached Thumbnails

• dinette - 1.jpg
  • dinette - 1 (1).jpg
  • fridge - 1.jpg
  • dinette - 1 (2).jpg

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#20 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:29 PM

Thanks Ronin that looks great.

Nice wood to make it a home. The table is FWC or other brand and does it interfere with the rollover?

I too installed this year an Isotherm in the same spot. A Big improvement. Red oak at 1/2" is about the same

weight as ply and if you leave room for expansion/contraction makes a real pretty counter top. 

Great mods!

Henry David Thoreau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users