22 replies to this topic

#1 huckfinn

huckfinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:23 PM

I am planning to get some kind of aluminum front winch bumper (and a winch, of course) for my Tacoma with a Fleet.  We're often on roads that would justifiy the expense.  

For those with this common combo, you know the Fleet sticks out of the bed of the truck six inches or so.  I don't want a swing out bumper for the back, and I find it hard to justify a change in the back just for the look of it—I'd have to swap out the hitch as well as the bumper—it gets expensive.  

Besides we use the hitch now to support a small simple wooden platform to exit and enter the Fleet door.  We don't want any kind of stair, the platform is fine, so I don't know, maybe I'll do nothing.  But I wondered if anyone else had thought about this issue in this way.  I have checked past discussions and did not see anything that addressed this issue in this way...

If I could get a bumper that would extend enough so that it would protect the camper, then that would be an example of a reason that could, for me, justify the cost.  Thoughts?  Or do I just have too much time to think about this stuff?

2015 Tacoma V6 Access Cab 4x4 TRD

FWC Fleet 1350 lbs "dry"

BFG AT TA KO2 265/75/16

Custom Leaf Pack

Dual Odysseys

#2 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:13 AM

First thing is to remove the front rubber bumpers on the front of the camper, lets the camper move forward about 2". Then you may look at slipping your bumper back an inch or so if possible. My Eagle sits almost flush with my rear bumper. I do have an after market CBI bumper. Was also able to modify my swing away so that it also works.  Ron

20160324_181636_resized.jpg

#3 huckfinn

huckfinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:33 AM

Thanks, Ron, very smart setup.  Makes sense to move the camper forward and the bumper back, for lots of reasons.  Never would have occurred to me.

Mark

FWC Fleet 1350 lbs "dry"

BFG AT TA KO2 265/75/16

Custom Leaf Pack

Dual Odysseys

#4 4x4tinyhouse

4x4tinyhouse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationMT

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:08 AM

First thing is to remove the front rubber bumpers on the front of the camper

But, aren't the rubber bumpers you're referring to there for a reason? 

#5 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:56 AM

Not really. For what? To keep the metal from making contact with the front of the bed? I just put a 1/4" thick piece of rubber in front of the camper and the aluminum on the camper does not touch. At least not on a Tacoma. Other truck makes may need a bit more shimming. I believe in keeping the weight as far forward as is possible.   Ron

#6 4x4tinyhouse

4x4tinyhouse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationMT

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:36 AM

Not really. For what? To keep the metal from making contact with the front of the bed? I just put a 1/4" thick piece of rubber in front of the camper and the aluminum on the camper does not touch. At least not on a Tacoma. Other truck makes may need a bit more shimming. I believe in keeping the weight as far forward as is possible.   Ron

I thought perhaps they added the rubber bumpers to separate the camper from the front of the bed so there would be room to flex, but thinking about now, the truck doesnt really flex like that anyway. 

Weight forward for sure.  I'm going to do this, thanks for the tip

Edited by LookingWest, 02 February 2017 - 04:45 AM.

#7 Redfish

Redfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNorth-Central Florida

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:22 PM

Nikonron,

Can you show a few additional pictures of your CBI bumper set up? I like the idea of removing or at least trimming the rubber bumpers. Thanks for that tip. I've looked at a few bumpers with swing arms, including CBI, but have been stymied by the Fleet overhang on my Tacoma.

Thanks,

Jeff

2016 Tacoma 4x4 V6 SR5 AT

2016 FWC Fleet

#8 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:52 PM

20160324_181647_resized.jpg

CBI bumper and swing arm but I had to modify the arm to clear the camper. I also added the Aliminess box and aluminum table

#9 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:53 PM

Another view

Attached Thumbnails

• 20161203_113910_1486053823960_resized.jpg

#10 huckfinn

huckfinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:39 PM

I like the table, I bet it's useful.  What did you do if anything to the turnbuckles that attach the camper to the bed when you moved the camper forward?

Not really wanting a swing arm on my rear bumper, I'm still stuck on my original question.  Being a woodworker, I've wondered about replacing the stock bumper with one shaped out of layers of plywood laminated with epoxy, that would extend a couple of inches past

the corners of the Fleet.

FWC Fleet 1350 lbs "dry"

BFG AT TA KO2 265/75/16

Custom Leaf Pack

Dual Odysseys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users