Photo
- - - - -

Baja Trip report (partial); update on crossing into Baja and fuel (diesel, etc.)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:34 PM

We crossed at Mexicali East.  No issues.  The FMM stamp is easy and the man there would take cash (we paid online).

No protests, no issues.  Lots of gas and diesel everywhere.  Fueled up in Mexicali (extra cans) and San Felipe; no issues with the 2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel.

Went down to Percebu and then to Beluga over to Coco's and now in Guerrero Negro to have a hot shower, resupply, etc.  Jesus Maria has diesel (ULSD). 

We'll head towards Bahia ConcepciĆ³n and may stop and camp along the way.

Awesome weather but we heard that a week or so ago, it wasn't very nice.  65 (I think) in GN and it was 75 on the Gulf.

Limited to no internet, wifi, etc. to this point.  Cell (Verizon) hasn't worked and I haven't tried enabling it in GN yet.

Kevin

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#2 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:53 AM

A journey that I need to tackle in the next few years, enjoy!  Ron

#3 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:36 PM

I forgot to mention, no crowds at all.  Prices seem to be down a bit at the campgrounds because of the lack of people.  Some campground (Rancho Percebu) was pretty much closed during the week. 

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#4 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:38 PM

And we've seen a ton of FWC!  I also saw this but don't think it was a FWC.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170201_145713.jpg

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#5 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 04 February 2017 - 02:01 PM

Great news Kevin about the crossing and diesel!

Look forward to your fuel reports south of GN.

Bill

South Carolina Low Country.  

#6 anomad

anomad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:19 AM

We crossed at Mexicali East. No issues. The FMM stamp is easy and the man there would take cash (we paid online).

No protests, no issues. Lots of gas and diesel everywhere. Fueled up in Mexicali (extra cans) and San Felipe; no issues with the 2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel.

Went down to Percebu and then to Beluga over to Coco's and now in Guerrero Negro to have a hot shower, resupply, etc. Jesus Maria has diesel (ULSD).

We'll head towards Bahia ConcepciĆ³n and may stop and camp along the way.

Awesome weather but we heard that a week or so ago, it wasn't very nice. 65 (I think) in GN and it was 75 on the Gulf.

Limited to no internet, wifi, etc. to this point. Cell (Verizon) hasn't worked and I haven't tried enabling it in GN yet.

Kevin

#7 anomad

anomad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:20 AM

Is there low sulfur diesel in the Baja now, wasn't last time I was there ?

#8 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:59 PM

Is there low sulfur diesel in the Baja now, wasn't last time I was there ?

Baja has had LSD (Low Sulfur Diesel, 500 PPM max) for decades.

USA diesel vehicles manufactured during (and after) 2007 require ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel, 15 PPM max).  USA and Europe mandated the use of ULSD in 2006.

Edited by Advmoto18, 09 February 2017 - 05:03 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#9 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 18 February 2017 - 02:46 PM

Ok, I've been "offline" for a few weeks.  Here's a short update as we are in a hotel in the wine area between Tecate and Ensenada.  We heard yesterday that they were expecting 2" of rain and the wind was howling so we found a hotel.  Lucky we did.  It wouldn't have been fun.

Onto the good stuff!

Our itin was this (once we crossed at Mexicali East).  Down to Percebu, Gonzaga, Guerrero Negro, Bahia Concepcion, Santa Ignacio, back to GN (Scammons Lagoon aka Oja de Libere), Bahia de Los Angeles, San Quintin, Wine region, exit.  We stopped in many other places but the were the camping areas.  We would love to go back and explore Rosilia and Mulege more.

Trip was awesome.  Concepcion and the whales were our favorite but there was so much more!  I have extensive notes on camping, prices, etc.

No issues with getting ULSD diesel in the 2015 Ram.  We carried 10 extra gallons and used it (primarily to get the weight off the back of the truck) and could have made the trip just filling up along the way.  We did not get any diesel south of GN. 

No issues, no hassles, nothing but good times (except in the US where we got stuck in Death Valley and had to be towed; we were out in the boonies too - that bill hurts!).  We'll cross at Tecate later today.  We met a lot of FWC owners.  No ATC's though.  We will head to ATC in about a week for jack installs and need to talk to them about getting more ATC's on the road and down here! 

Any questions let me know.  I'll be in more regular contact again but spotty probably for another 7 - 10 days as we make our way back to Idaho.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#10 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:44 AM

Ok, I've been "offline" for a few weeks.  Here's a short update as we are in a hotel in the wine area between Tecate and Ensenada.  We heard yesterday that they were expecting 2" of rain and the wind was howling so we found a hotel.  Lucky we did.  It wouldn't have been fun.

Onto the good stuff!

Our itin was this (once we crossed at Mexicali East).  Down to Percebu, Gonzaga, Guerrero Negro, Bahia Concepcion, Santa Ignacio, back to GN (Scammons Lagoon aka Oja de Libere), Bahia de Los Angeles, San Quintin, Wine region, exit.  We stopped in many other places but the were the camping areas.  We would love to go back and explore Rosilia and Mulege more.

Trip was awesome.  Concepcion and the whales were our favorite but there was so much more!  I have extensive notes on camping, prices, etc.

No issues with getting ULSD diesel in the 2015 Ram.  We carried 10 extra gallons and used it (primarily to get the weight off the back of the truck) and could have made the trip just filling up along the way.  We did not get any diesel south of GN. 

No issues, no hassles, nothing but good times (except in the US where we got stuck in Death Valley and had to be towed; we were out in the boonies too - that bill hurts!).  We'll cross at Tecate later today.  We met a lot of FWC owners.  No ATC's though.  We will head to ATC in about a week for jack installs and need to talk to them about getting more ATC's on the road and down here! 

Any questions let me know.  I'll be in more regular contact again but spotty probably for another 7 - 10 days as we make our way back to Idaho.

I'm inspired by your report - what map and/or guide do you recommend I pick up so that I can see all of the places you are mentioning and start planning my own trip ?!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users