112 replies to this topic

#11 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:41 PM

Life is a Lark at Willow Grove Park! I guess you might remember that commercial. The park has been long gone, I think there is a mall there now. I hear you about the winters, I froze my butt off Sat doing some demo on the camper.

I'm hoping the wife and I can both sleep on the first floor, so I haven't given any thought to extending the cab-over. The way the camper was laid out, I think she can sleep east west against the cab, and I can sleep north south along the passenger side wall. I'd like to avoid sleeping up top if I can. Climbing down to pee in the middle of the night at 69 y/o, is no fun!  

Know what you mean about the climbing down at night but it is nice to have the room.We have a Bobcat so we need to make use of all room.

Yes went to the park many times as a kid before it was made into a bowling ally and mall. Still have family there.

05 was the last time there.

Keep posting your build.Very enjoyable.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#12 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:26 PM

My camper has a wind deflector of some sort on the rear of the roof. You can see it in this picture. I'm questioning it's purpose and if folks think it should be left on or removed. It's attached firmly, and if I remove it, they'll still be the issue of patching the holes. I'm thinking if I leave it, I could screw a track to it for a light awning over the door. I'll be painting the siding and roof, so it won't look as bad as it does now!

Attached Thumbnails

• 4 wheel camper 2.jpg
  • 4 wheel camper 4.jpg

Edited by shellback, 10 February 2017 - 07:29 PM.

#13 poncho62

poncho62

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:42 AM

They used to have deflectors like that on the back of station wagons in the 60s-70s. They were supposed to help keep the rear of the car clean from dirt/dust/snow etc.....Dont know if they worked that well.....I think I would remove it. 

#14 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 11 February 2017 - 01:03 AM

If they were just for a dirt or dust factor, rather than for gas mileage, it's  probably best to remove it.  I could see hooking a branch or something and really doing some damage to the roof. 

#15 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:14 PM

Well I'm done the demo. Heading to VA for some fishing next week and when I return, the frame is going to a welder. It has to be narrowed for newer truck tailgate width. Then the vertical corners are getting tripled for corner jacks. Reinforcing the side framing for tiedowns outside the truckbed. Last, narrowing the door frame. Here's the skeleton on a trailer for the trip to the welding shop. Had to do some bracing as it was pretty flimsy. Looking forward to the start of rebuilding.IMG_0220_1.jpg

#16 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:04 AM

Lost a lot of time due to the weather and waiting for a welder. Finally got the frame narrowed for the new truck, corners beefed up for the jacks, and some other repairs. Built the floor pack out of 5/8's plywood and glued and stapled it as the original was built. I am going to side it with .040 flat white aluminum. It will be fastened with 3M VHB double sided tape to the aluminum studs. Between the jack mounts, windows, door, and trim there with be plenty of screw fastening also.  I'll have 1 inch rigid Styrofoam sandwiched between the siding and paneling inside. My son runs the shop in a commercial  glass business and they use a lot of aluminum. So I'll have access to a shear, brake, etc. Hopefully the siding will turn out nice.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF2289.JPG
  • DSCF2288.JPG

Edited by shellback, 12 April 2017 - 12:13 AM.

#17 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:02 AM

Looking very nice Shellback! Great job! Keep the photos coming.

1999 F250 crew cab SRW, 7.3 Powerstroke TD

1981 Grandby shortened to a Hawk

Build thread / https://www.wanderth...by-into-a-hawk/

#18 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:22 AM

My dad had deflectors on our stations wagons back in the 60s. We did a lot of driving on dirt roads in the Adirondacks, they worked well at keeping the dirt build up on the rear window and tailgate to a minimum. Don't know if the air flow over the camper will allow for the same results though. 

Edited by Beach, 12 April 2017 - 01:23 AM.

#19 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Colorado

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:33 PM

I am going to side it with .040 flat white aluminum. It will be fastened with 3M VHB double sided tape to the aluminum studs. Between the jack mounts, windows, door, and trim there with be plenty of screw fastening also.  I'll have 1 inch rigid Styrofoam sandwiched between the siding and paneling inside. My son runs the shop in a commercial  glass business and they use a lot of aluminum. So I'll have access to a shear, brake, etc. Hopefully the siding will turn out nice.

My build still looks like yours before the floor pack and I am also planning on .040 flat white siding fastened with VHB. (Which VHB are you using?) Needless to say I will be following your progress very closely. Please include all the details!

Boonie

#20 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:36 PM

I'll be using the #4991. It's 90 mil thickness. Lots of irregularities in the frame and weld beads so I'm hoping the extra thickness will allow me to skip over weld beads or miss matched joints. My son got a price for me on the painted .040 aluminum, About $75.00 for a 4x10 sheet. I'll need 2 4x10 sheets and 2 4x8 sheets.I think I'll be using 1 36 yd roll of tape and probably another 2 rolls of 5 yd. Tape cost is catching up to the aluminum cost. Fortunately there's no shipping cost on the aluminum, I can pick it up within a mile of my sons shop. This weekend I'll be building the aluminum jack brackets and the hold downs. Also some .090 plates to reinforce where the electric and water enter the siding. The day I do the siding, I'd like to have all the windows and other parts attaching through the siding ready to install at the same time.

I'm 69 y/o and my wife is 68 and has MS for 20 years. So I have some special needs with this build. Upper and lower bunks laid out so one doesn't have to bother the other for late nite pee calls. The upper east and west, and the lower, north and south down the passenger side.  Electric jacks, if I'm more than an overnite stay, I always off load the camper for easy access for the wife. I'm going with an Engel 70 12v fridge. I removed the propane compartment for more inside storage and plan to cook outside. I'm beefing up the left rear wall of the camper for a 10# propane bottle rack if I find I need to install one at a later date. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users