13 replies to this topic

#1 J_T

J_T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSouthern Colorado Front Range

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:53 PM

Just purchased a used 80s FLEET FWC to put on the back of my 2001 Tacoma. The previous owner stripped most of it out so I will be giving it a fresh start! (More photos will follow I'm having issues uploading at the moment) IMG_5930.JPG IMG_5931.JPG

Edited by J_T, 08 February 2017 - 03:56 PM.

#2 rtpvibes

rtpvibes

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 02:06 PM

Congrats enjoy making it yours

#3 J_T

J_T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:58 PM

The previous owner had it on his T100. It fits nicely on my Taco ext cab with tailgate down.

Attached Thumbnails

• Front FEB17.jpg
  • Rear FEb17.jpg

#4 J_T

J_T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 03:59 PM

GOOD BAD and UGLY

GOOD

As I mentioned, most of the interior was stripped and you can see the beginning of a rebuild. As the photos show, it's in rough condition but the bones are solid. He left me with the battery, turnbuckles, 5w solar panel with tender, 12v port, USB port, 6 slot fuse box, on/off switch, sink (removed), backup camera (need monitor), extra carpet and some misc pieces. He also replaced the front board. Most importantly, no issues with the frame. Not too shabby considering it was 800 bucks.

BAD
The vinyl is in rough shape. Gorilla patch tape was used to cover the corners. It's good short term solution. You can't really tell from the photos. It's sufficient for the time being. But there are micro tears and punctures all over. The corners are stiff and cracking- evidence of the lift panels pinching over the decades. Nonetheless, I'm going to order some vinyl material and vinyl cement to do some serious patchwork and for a more long term fix. I will eventually replace the whole thing. I'm currently brainstorming DIY on this.

UGLY

There is a long gash in the side with a breach. But not something a little TLC won't take care of. Foil tape currently covers it. I've caulked it for now. I'll likely make an aluminum patch.

THE PLAN.

- Caulk the exterior.
- Sand and paint exterior bottom with white porch paint
- Replace old vents with alum patch
- Extend the sleeping area by 6 in. (Currently about twin size)
- Add a second battery.
- 100 w solar panel
- inverter
- LED exterior flood lights
- Backup camera monitor
- Interior LED light strips
- New vents
- New cushions
- Patch vinyl eventually replace
- Kitchenette
- Replace table top
- Insulation
- Luan Walls
- EFT pipe in place of the lift panels ( I will post the sister thread to this concept later today- hard to embed links through the app)

Other considerations I will cover in future posts : fridge, heat source, camper dolly, power( goal zero or generic solar kit) and interior aesthetic.

Attached Thumbnails

• Battery and Table FEB17.jpg
  • Interior Front POV FEB17.jpg
  • Kitchenette POV FEB17.jpg
  • Table Up FEB17.jpg
  • Vinyl POV FEB17.jpg

Edited by J_T, 08 February 2017 - 09:30 PM.

#5 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:24 PM

Your's looks identical to my 1979 Grandby, with exception the the fridge doors on the drivers side. Mine is 8 feet by 80 inches with a 48 inch bottom. I'm still in the demo mode. Next step get the roof off. How's the side liners on your unit? Mine are shot. Stiff as a board and cracking. I don't have any lift panels, and am thinking I'll just go around the fabric with a utility knife and lift the top off. 

#6 J_T

J_T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:42 PM

Gear and Equipment:

I will update this particular post with links to items that I use:

- The 5w Solar panel with battery tender. This was included in the initial purchase of the camper. They also make larger models.

https://www.amazon.c...w_1486572015539

#7 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Colorado

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:44 AM

J_T

I stripped my Grandby down to the aluminum frame before I started my rebuild. In so doing I have a lot of stock Grandby materials including siding (you mentioned you wanted to reside over old vents) If you want to make the trip north to Brighton, PM me and we can hook up.

Boonie

#8 J_T

J_T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:26 PM

Greetings! Apologies I've been off the net for sometime. Work is demanding. Since my first post we've taken the camper out of her maiden voyage. I completed the insulation and used Leak Seal by Rustoleum as a temporary solution until I can patch the vinyl. It seemed to work well by keeping the elements out. The old vinyl is already very stiff and this made it stiffer. The secondary effect was that it made it difficult for the front to collapse and clamp properly as the material bunched up in the panel. As I mentioned this temporary until I patch the vinyl and eventually replace the whole thing this summer. Also, I will be replacing the panel with the electrical conduit (MTF).

IMG_6052.JPG
We bought a Mr Buddy Heater and it gave us 5 1/2 hrs of continual heat. Running it all night long was necessary as we had our dogs with us. As you can imagine 4 bodies and a propane heat source generated a TON of moisture. Humidity was 76% at the highest. The ambient temp outside was in the teens and it stayed a nice 54 inside. The heater can be found at Walmart for 79 bucks. Far cheaper then anywhere isles I looked. Also, you can buy a 2 pack of 1lb propane bottles for 6 dollars. The plan is to get a 10lb propane tank and use that for the heat and cooktop. Overall, we were pretty warm and snug.

I extended the bed by 6 in with a wider piece of sanded plywood and replaced the old piano hinge with a new one. I ditched the old smelly foam pads and bought two 2" thermOrest pads from Sierra Trading Post at 35 bucks a piece. Made in America. Pretty good deal. I went with these bc I can deflate them and keep the double wide sleeping bag on top so I can collapse the camper with only having to remove the pillows. It's nice to keep the bed made and makes it more homie. The sleeping bag is rated to 0 F. We bought this in Alaska and it works wonders for car camping. The bag is thick so even without pads it is very plush and comfortable. I also went with the thermOrest pads so we can use them for tent camping with the car. We have other lightweight ones for backpacking... anyways I also replaced the old table top with a piece of the plywood that was cut for the bed. I haven't had time to stain or paint these. The subtle change made it look a lot nicer. I will install some brackets so the table top can be used to create second sleep area for guests in the future.

IMG_6107.JPG IMG_6108.JPG IMG_6109.JPG

Probably the most time consuming and labor extensive addition was the camper dolly. I don't have a garage so that complicates my renovation a bit. At the end of my driveway I have a fence with a pedestrian gate. I made it a double wide swinging gate by installing heavy duty hinges on the other side, cut loose some posts and added a wheel pedestal. It came out really clean. Behind the gate I cleared our firewood and leveled the ground so that I can back the camper into the yard where it can be secured. I am going to make this a little "camper" port by putting up some corrugated steel walls around it and a sun shade sail over it (amazon cheap). I'll finish it with some solar powered lighting. It'll look pretty clean when compete.

Back to the dolly, now that you can picture the circumstance I went with a trailer. I saw on another post one user suggested going with one of the Harbor Freight trailers. I went with the 1200 lb 48x96 in version. I got a coupon so under 300 bucks that was a deal. Of course, anything that sounds too good is. Putting it together was a pain in the ass. 90+ bolts. Worse then IKEA. Luckily I have a pretty good buddy who offered assistance. Over a 6 pack of Odell 90 Schilling we did it in 6 hrs +. The trailer was still not high enough to lower the camper all the way down. I built a platform using 2x4 double stacked with a 3/4 plywood on top. I painted the wood with porch latex gray to help weather proof it as it will be outside. It came out great. My favorite part about the platform is I sunk the bolt heads securing the 2x4s so the plywood sits flush. The plywood board is secured with a number of coated woods screws. After that, I was finally able to lower the camper with my 4x reico jacks. I bought four bc my drive way is tight and I don't want to risk the camper crushing me between the house and driveway. Pricey but safe. I paid less for the camper haha.

I'm going to move on to the electrical next so I can put the Luan walls up. I am going to install a 6 gang switch panel with 12v port, voltmeter, and USB port. This will be an exercise in futility as I am electrically challenged. Which is ironic bc my father is a master electrician and general contractor. Thank goodness for the interwebs.

Edited by J_T, 09 March 2017 - 03:32 PM.

#9 J_T

J_T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:34 PM

Here are some more photos since upload capacity is limited...

IMG_6058.JPG IMG_6057.JPG IMG_6112.JPG IMG_6111.JPG IMG_6077.JPG

#10 J_T

J_T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 03:53 PM

J_T
I stripped my Grandby down to the aluminum frame before I started my rebuild. In so doing I have a lot of stock Grandby materials including siding (you mentioned you wanted to reside over old vents) If you want to make the trip north to Brighton, PM me and we can hook up.

Boonie

Thanks Boonie! I greatly appreciate extending the offer for the material. I had already patched it with the aluminum sheet which I actually like the look. My aim is to clean up the exterior but keep it old looking. Just replace the screws and vinyl etc. If I'm up in your area I'll be sure to reach out and see what you've accomplished. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users