• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:19 AM

After many years of not having a laptop for photography travel and being schooled many times by trip leaders for not having one, I finally broke down and purchased a new laptop. I waited for the MacBook Pro 15 inch version but was not liking it.

After being with John Shaw for a couple of weeks last summer and lusting over his Dell XPS 15 inch and a co-traveler at Yellowstone last month same laptop, I decided what am I waiting for!

After a large sum of money I found what I wanted.  Here are the specs:

Dell XPS 15 New version for 2017

• 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor (6M cache, up to 3.8 GHz)
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit English
  • 32GB DDR4-2400MHz
  • 1TB PCIe Solid State Drive
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 with 4GB GDDR5
  • 15.6" 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) InfinityEdge touch display
  • Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1
  • Battery 97WHr

I feel good with the purchase and I hope it is all worth it and it last many years.  It will remind me when I pay off the credit card bill next month.

Cheers :)

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#2 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:47 AM

Congrats on the new laptop.  Quite the specs!

I sold Apple products exclusively for the past 5 1/2 years.  I got out of it last Sept.  Apple has got outrageous on their pricing particularly on 15" laptops.  As much as I like Apple products, their lack of features at outrageous price points and then needing to buy adapters makes one truly consider alternatives.

You should have a great laptop for years.  You can always consider turning it into a Hackintosh as well.

Enjoy!!!  Your pics will look stunning!!!

#3 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:23 PM

Nice. I'm pretty happy with my 15" MBP but the main thing that keeps me with Apple is OS/X. If I were to go back to the dark side, though, that Dell would be my choice. Having a good laptop on the road is well worth the expense IMO.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:53 PM

I'm like Charlie, I really prefer the Apple operating system. I can hardly navigate Windows anymore.

There's nothing wrong with a powerful Windows machine, it's just a matter of preference.

I am haunted by waters

#5 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:03 PM

After years of trying to figure out who they want to be in the world of laptops and tablets, Dell has figured it out.  This is my next laptop:

http://www.dell.com/...-15-7567-laptop

#6 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:33 AM

Congrats with your DELL! Sounds almost like an Alienware laptop, which DELL bought several years ago. Alienware laptops were in a league of their own.

I got fed up with DELL years ago after having to get up at 2AM in order to get through to their service support (which was overseas at the time) without holding for over an hour; .

I migrated to Apple products after about 2 frustrating years with Windows XP.

I hope your DELL experience is better than mine.

Edited by Advmoto18, 10 February 2017 - 11:47 AM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#7 Timothy McGowen

Timothy McGowen

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:34 AM

Congrats. Sounds like a great machine.

2016 Ford F150 SuperCab 4X4 Lariat 2.7 EcoBoost Engine

2016 FWC Hawk Front Dinette Silver Spur

#8 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 10 February 2017 - 04:59 PM

I recently downsized from a MBP 15 (2009) to a MBP 13.   I bought a refurb so cost was pretty tame.

But, with 8 gigs of RAM and a SS drive it can run fast.   I can run LightRoom or Photoshop without lagging, and it runs my CAD system very well.  It's the little machine that could.  

Susan has the MB Air 13, and it's even more svelte. The one thing we both don't have is the optical drive, but other than watching DVDs we don't have much use for a disk drive.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#9 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 10 February 2017 - 06:20 PM

I'm like Charlie, I really prefer the Apple operating system. I can hardly navigate Windows anymore.

There's nothing wrong with a powerful Windows machine, it's just a matter of preference.

I hear you guys.  I'm a huge Apple fan, but the price of their laptops has went through the roof, particularly the 15" models.  Before a 15" model was $1849 CAD, now they start at $2999 CAD.

Give me a break.  Yes they are nice, but how about making these things progressively nicer while maintaining the same price point or even coming down a little.  Apple has got ridiculously greedy under Tim Cooks leadership.

#10 Timothy McGowen

Timothy McGowen

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:07 PM

with 8 gigs of RAM and a SS drive it can run fast.   

Glad to hear LR and PS run well on only 8.

2016 Ford F150 SuperCab 4X4 Lariat 2.7 EcoBoost Engine

2016 FWC Hawk Front Dinette Silver Spur

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users