21 replies to this topic

#11 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 11 February 2017 - 01:55 AM

Thanks for the comments.

I see it as there are good and bad mixed with either Windows or Apple.  They are both good! ( and each have their problems.) And my Gal does have a MacAir 13 inch for many years and has worked fine.

I do like what Dell did with the size of this one I purchased.

The world’s only 15.6-inch InfinityEdge display: The virtually borderless display maximizes screen space by accommodating a 15.6-inch display inside a laptop closer to the size of a 14-inch, thanks to a bezel measuring just 5.7mm.

One-of-a-kind design: Measuring in at a slim 11-17mm and starting at just 4 pounds (1.8 kg) with a solid state drive, the XPS 15 is the world’s lightest 15-inch performance-class laptop.

I have seen the screen already and it is stunning and will aid in fine editing of images on the road.

Dazzling detail: With the UltraSharp 4K Ultra HD display (3840 x 2160), you can see each detail of every pixel without needing to zoom in. And with 6 million more pixels than Full HD and 3 million more than the MacBook Pro, you can edit images with pinpoint accuracy without worrying about blurriness or jagged lines.

Industry-leading color: The XPS 15 is the only laptop with 100% Adobe RGB color, covering a wider color gamut and producing shades of color outside conventional panels so you can see more of what you see in real life. And with over 1 billion colors, images appear smoother and color gradients are amazingly lifelike with more depth and dimension. Included is Dell PremierColor software, which automatically remaps content not already in Adobe RGB format for onscreen colors that appear amazingly accurate and true to life.

Looking to see all the new possibilities on the input ports for uploading images to external drives to pick up faster speeds.

This is the latest from Dell and I was going to get the 2016 model but I timed it right to get the latest.

Within a couple of weeks I will get it.  First task is to remove all the Dell installed bloat wear programs among other things.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#12 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:14 AM

Patrick, that does sound like an amazing display for a small footprint.  That is definitely a gaming machine, which will handle all that you throw at it.   Video editing is the next frontier.  lol

Bloatware? HP is the worst, but I've gone through quite a few Dell machines in my day. 

I hear you guys.  I'm a huge Apple fan, but the price of their laptops has went through the roof, particularly the 15" models.  Before a 15" model was $1849 CAD, now they start at $2999 CAD.

Give me a break.  Yes they are nice, but how about making these things progressively nicer while maintaining the same price point or even coming down a little.  Apple has got ridiculously greedy under Tim Cooks leadership.

RE:  Apple folks 

Apple has always been a higher price, but the hardware is rock solid and the OSX as good or better than the competition.  I get five years plus out of a lapper.  Check out refurbs direct form Apple, with factory warranty.  I paid $1182+tx for my refurb MBP 13" (2015).  I don't think I could beat that out by a lot and have a five year machine elsewhere.   

Edited by Lighthawk, 11 February 2017 - 06:19 AM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#13 michgoblue

michgoblue

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:33 PM

I have an older version of the Dell that I use with a Thunderbolt Dock and it works great for travel as well as a good desktop replacement. Runs LR really well compared to my old desktop and Dell's customer service was great when I ran into an issue.

#14 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:16 PM

RE:  Apple folks 

Apple has always been a higher price, but the hardware is rock solid and the OSX as good or better than the competition.  I get five years plus out of a lapper.  Check out refurbs direct form Apple, with factory warranty.  I paid $1182+tx for my refurb MBP 13" (2015).  I don't think I could beat that out by a lot and have a five year machine elsewhere.

The 13" Apple lop tops are still decent value. At least the model without the Magic track bar and the Air.
The 15" models at $3000 are overpriced.

Apple traditionally sticks at given price points and continues to make better hardware every few years at those price points, but come on, who want to put out $3000 for a laptop when 4 years ago you could get a professional 15" laptop for under $2000 from Apple.

Apple has been doing the same thing w it's their phones and iPads. Price points keep going up with each revision. Apple is the only company on the planet that has been able to do this and long time Apple users and professionals like myself have had enough. For the longest time, I defended Tim Cook. I can't fault him for making insane money, but he's loosing some fans and long time users.

pvstoy, how are you liking your new Dell so far?

BTW, I don't know how tech you are, but the first thing I would do after getting rid of all the bloatware is to make a bootable clone of you harddrive onto an external hard drive or USB3 thumb drive.  That way if your system get corrupt or needs a rebuild, you can always copy that image back over to the internal drive.

Edited by Bill D, 14 February 2017 - 10:54 PM.

#15 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:12 AM

Looks like delivery could be on Friday . Making a clone is a good idea. My gals macair I use Superduper to make a clone that is bootable and pretty easy. Windows is a bit harder to make a bootable clone. I have not looked for a easy program like SuperDuper.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#16 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 02:58 AM

Looks like delivery could be on Friday . Making a clone is a good idea. My gals macair I use Superduper to make a clone that is bootable and pretty easy. Windows is a bit harder to make a bootable clone. I have not looked for a easy program like SuperDuper.

It's been over a decade since I worked in the Windows world.  Norton Ghost used to be a standard that techs used.  I did a search a couple of years ago for a freebie equivalent.  The only thing I could see at the time was a DOS based looking program.  You had to type a few command lines etc.  Not a big deal if you can follow instructions.  That being said I don't think you will find anything for free that is as elegant as CarbonCopyCloner or Superduper.

#17 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:01 AM

Macrium Reflect.  Free for personal use.  Also, Windows 10 lets you do a "refresh" -- essentially a clean re-install -- without losing anything, provided you are logging using a Microsoft account storing your profile in the cloud.  

#18 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:05 AM

Macrium Reflect.  Free for personal use.  Also, Windows 10 lets you do a "refresh" -- essentially a clean re-install -- without losing anything, provided you are logging using a Microsoft account storing your profile in the cloud.  

Does this create a bootable image on the external?

Meaning if you wanted to you could start and load the cloned operating system off of the external device.

#19 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:29 AM

There is a free basic version of Acronis that I can make a copy, I wish there was a SuperDuper for windows.

I will look up Macrium Relfect.

http://www.macrium.com/

Edited by pvstoy, 16 February 2017 - 03:30 AM.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#20 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:49 AM

Does this create a bootable image on the external?

Meaning if you wanted to you could start and load the cloned operating system off of the external device.

Bootable yes, if the USB key is big enough

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users