33 replies to this topic

#11 Randonneur

Randonneur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 01:33 AM

Here is my two cents- worth a penny. I tried a few hitch tray style racks for my Tacoma and Fleet and settled on the 1-up USA. I first tried a Yakima Hold-up 2 but found it difficult to get in the back without removing the bikes and rack. Next I added a Rakattach swing arm that could attach to the Yakima rack but the Rakattach would not fit securely into the 2" receiver that came stock on my Tacoma without tilting to the side. This is a Tacoma specific problem since if you have an aftermarket receiver like a Kurt it fits just fine. Finally, I bought the 1-UP-USA that has a unique way of attaching to the receiver to take up any slack plus the rack is angled up so it gives better clearance for off-road. The only downside for this rack is that you will need to get a 7" extender in order to make sure your handlebars will clear the camper unless you plan on loosening the handlebars each time you put the bikes on the rack. I tested this set-up last year on a month long trip to the Southwest and went off-road quite a bit with no problem. I didn't do anything insane, but there were plenty of times that the vehicle was going up and over ledges or through deep dips and I only touched the rack once to the ground. The other advantage of this rack is it will tilt down with two bikes still attached enabling you to get in and out of the trailer although I normally take the bikes off when I get to camp. Sorry no photos since it is now winter and I don't have the rack on the vehicle.

#12 Ronski

Ronski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:30 AM

Here is my two cents- worth a penny. I tried a few hitch tray style racks for my Tacoma and Fleet and settled on the 1-up USA. I first tried a Yakima Hold-up 2 but found it difficult to get in the back without removing the bikes and rack. Next I added a Rakattach swing arm that could attach to the Yakima rack but the Rakattach would not fit securely into the 2" receiver that came stock on my Tacoma without tilting to the side. This is a Tacoma specific problem since if you have an aftermarket receiver like a Kurt it fits just fine. Finally, I bought the 1-UP-USA that has a unique way of attaching to the receiver to take up any slack plus the rack is angled up so it gives better clearance for off-road. The only downside for this rack is that you will need to get a 7" extender in order to make sure your handlebars will clear the camper unless you plan on loosening the handlebars each time you put the bikes on the rack. I tested this set-up last year on a month long trip to the Southwest and went off-road quite a bit with no problem. I didn't do anything insane, but there were plenty of times that the vehicle was going up and over ledges or through deep dips and I only touched the rack once to the ground. The other advantage of this rack is it will tilt down with two bikes still attached enabling you to get in and out of the trailer although I normally take the bikes off when I get to camp. Sorry no photos since it is now winter and I don't have the rack on the vehicle.

This is exactly the setup I have including the short extension. It works great. 1 Up has an excellent reputation, but is expensive and might not appeal to the casual user. I also made a fork mount on a piece of plywood which mounts to the kick panel and fits 2 bikes. I can roll my mountain bikes in backwards into my Hawk with the fork locked down securely, and then I place the front wheels in padded zip up bags and place them to protect the cabinets if the bikes move a bit. A little less convenient than the rack, but cleaner for the bikes and more secure.

#13 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 01:22 PM

We use a step extender for the 2" hitch. Keeps the bikes away from the camper and works as a step into the camper. Actually I am having it modified right now to make it a carrier. Bolted together a prototype we used for a couple of years and having the local welder fabricate it now.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#14 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 28 January 2018 - 03:45 PM

​Don't get a bike rack that clips, tightens, etc. on any part of the frame.  New frames are very thin and they will eventually rub, break, etc. your frame (unless you are using a steel, low end bike).  If you've ever seen an alum. frame cut in half, they aren't much thicker than an alum. can on some of the tubes.

Get a rack that clamps the wheels down (or over one wheel) and then clamps around the rim of the rims.  You can get (like other stated) versions with will swing out, etc.  

We put a step in our hitch first, then the rack extends out of the step.  We carry 2 bikes and it does extend out pretty far.  We put the flags, etc. on the outside bike.

Thule, Yakima, etc. all make various racks like I'm mentioning.  Here's a link to one of the model designs I'm talking about: 

https://www.thule.co...2---2-_-1691037

They are terribly expensive but check craigslist, etc.  There are other brands too.  Also, there's an extension for these with 2 more mounts.  We don't use that on our camper but use it on mtn bike trips where we don't take the camper (a different car, truck, etc.).  We actually made it ourselves using extra mounts we had and we built up the extension and cross members and bolted the mounts on that.  Save used a few hundred dollars and we had them as replacements from Yakima from our original purchase (one was missing a screw hole (I just tapped it out) and one the arm wouldn't stay up).

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#15 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 729 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 03:52 PM

I use this Surco DBR400 Swing Away 4-Bike Rack for 2" Receiver https://www.amazon.c...a_hgFBAb40SW1CH

#16 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 03 February 2018 - 04:15 AM

Hey! 

I have a rack like this, but I can't figure out how to keep it from swaying because the wheels/tires have nothing to stabilize against. When I was traveling, I kinda tied it to the vertical bar, but that made it crazy difficult to take off.

How do you keep it from swinging around back there? 

When I have mine on I don't off road.  The bikes are road bikes so no need to drag them into the desert. I use a step adapter and then I go into the step with the rack. My rack will drop down for easy access to the camper. The step allows a little room for throwing something into the camper if we are shopping. 

img_165117_0_7c00eea8580eacbf1f389a69be6

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

#17 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 03 February 2018 - 01:18 PM

We have the RackAttack swing out hitch with a cargo carrier/bike rack. We carry grill, chairs, tent, and supplies in the carrier. We are in the process of having a trailer designed and built. Will sell the RackAttack and carrier. jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#18 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 04 February 2018 - 02:11 AM

Hey! 

I have a rack like this, but I can't figure out how to keep it from swaying because the wheels/tires have nothing to stabilize against. When I was traveling, I kinda tied it to the vertical bar, but that made it crazy difficult to take off.

How do you keep it from swinging around back there? 

I close the curtain and drive.  To be honest they do wobble but I don't worry about it. 

#19 mattiedog

mattiedog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Locationidaho

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:18 AM

​Don't get a bike rack that clips, tightens, etc. on any part of the frame.  New frames are very thin and they will eventually rub, break, etc. your frame (unless you are using a steel, low end bike).  If you've ever seen an alum. frame cut in half, they aren't much thicker than an alum. can on some of the tubes.

Get a rack that clamps the wheels down (or over one wheel) and then clamps around the rim of the rims.  You can get (like other stated) versions with will swing out, etc.  

We put a step in our hitch first, then the rack extends out of the step.  We carry 2 bikes and it does extend out pretty far.  We put the flags, etc. on the outside bike.

Thule, Yakima, etc. all make various racks like I'm mentioning.  Here's a link to one of the model designs I'm talking about: 

https://www.thule.co...2---2-_-1691037

They are terribly expensive but check craigslist, etc.  There are other brands too.  Also, there's an extension for these with 2 more mounts.  We don't use that on our camper but use it on mtn bike trips where we don't take the camper (a different car, truck, etc.).  We actually made it ourselves using extra mounts we had and we built up the extension and cross members and bolted the mounts on that.  Save used a few hundred dollars and we had them as replacements from Yakima from our original purchase (one was missing a screw hole (I just tapped it out) and one the arm wouldn't stay up).

Hi there.  We are picking up our new Hawk for our F150 supercab later this month (May).  We are in Boise and wondered if we could look at your set up with the hitch step and bike rack attached to it.  Curious about how far out the set up extends.  The weight.  Your ability to get in and out of the camper with the bikes on.  Not sure how I connect with you directly so thought I would post here.  Thank you.  Susan

#20 Jeromelo

Jeromelo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:33 AM

I have expensive bikes,  to replace both of them would be in the 7 thousand dollar range.  I put a hitch on the front of my Colorado and bought a Kuat Sherpa.  Expensive but very lightweight and bullet proof.  I waited and found one local for a good price.  I've gone the inexpensive route and paid a huge price.  A bolt held the bikes failed in the middle of nowhere...talk about a nightmare.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users