63 replies to this topic

#41 Aussiedor

Aussiedor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:45 PM

Hey Buckland - These mounts for our Rhino Batwing are bomber.  We've not had any problems with them.  The design and construction was done by a company called Mule.  They are located in Issaquah Washington.  They only part my wife and I played was to OK the design and pay them for the  brackets.  They have a CNC machine so I was glad to leave the work for them to do.  I'm sorry but I do not know where they sourced the metal from.  

#42 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:52 PM

Was wondering if someone wouldn't mind sketching the stainless brackets with measurements. I called FWC and was quite impolitely told they aren't for sale. I'd like to attempt to do the same mount as Hodakaguy did for the Alu-Cab. All that is needed is to have the rear most mount bracket welded to a vertical piece that bolts to the jack stand bracket holes on the corner. This makes the hinged end of the awning rock solid (I've been told). Maybe AT campers would be more open to help?

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#43 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 06 March 2019 - 09:13 PM

Was wondering if someone wouldn't mind sketching the stainless brackets with measurements. I called FWC and was quite impolitely told they aren't for sale. I'd like to attempt to do the same mount as Hodakaguy did for the Alu-Cab. All that is needed is to have the rear most mount bracket welded to a vertical piece that bolts to the jack stand bracket holes on the corner. This makes the hinged end of the awning rock solid (I've been told). Maybe AT campers would be more open to help?

Rob, there’s one way to find out, give them a call. Marty is easy and good to work with.

I am haunted by waters

#44 park

park

• Members
  • 381 posts
  • LocationWickenburg, Arizona

Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:59 PM

My two cents worth but here goes.  Those batwing or really any type of awning is eventually going to become a windsail.  If you're there and the wind substantially picks up I guess you can take it down but I was in Baja this past winter and a guy was out paddleboarding and the wind came up, fast, and it destroyed that bat wing thing along with damaging the siding on the camper.  Gear heads love this type of stuff but I just don't see the need for it, especially at what they're being sold for.

Edited by park, 07 March 2019 - 11:01 PM.

Blogsite:  http://www.nowhereto...ur.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/parkkitchings

Instagram Account @parkkitchings

#45 Aussiedor

Aussiedor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:50 PM

Park - You're right about that.  We went into this purchase knowing that but still went ahead a bought the thing.  The good part about our connection is that it's not connected to the camper where it could do damage if the wind picked up all of a sudden.  So far it's been worth the purchase.  

#46 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 March 2019 - 09:00 PM

I did contact ATC and had a nice talk...sent the plans to them but did not hear back. They don't do the batwing ...so they don't have that type of mount that steps it out from the camper. They use the awning that attaches directly to the camper. 

So back to square one. As I live on the east coast there are very few FWC so can't get near one to measure the brackets. If anyone has one that can measure L/W/D and screw hole pattern I'd appreciate it. Seems a small thing for FWC to answer and makes me think I won't go back to them again.

Henry David Thoreau

#47 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:21 PM

I have been a full-time RVer for over 20 years, and have never lost an awning, because our rule is, if one of us is not sitting under it or very nearby, we put it up. I have seen big RV awnings on big 40ft motorhomes, with tie downs, completely ripped off the RV when a quick squall comes up. 

That being said I just had a batwing installed by the FWC dealer in TX and I plan to follow the same rule. I'll measure the brackets and post the dimensions with some photos. 

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#48 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 March 2019 - 10:49 PM

Much obliged. I'm of the same sort who falls on the overly cautious side. 

Henry David Thoreau

#49 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 26 March 2019 - 02:41 AM

IMG_3129.JPG

there are 3 brackets thru bolted into the camper side wall which the awning is attached to and one bracket on the rear of the camper which holds the rear awning arm after you swing it open. There is a backing plate inside the camper where the thru bolts go thru the aluminum top plate.

Sorry the photos are not orientated correctly

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3124.JPG
  • IMG_3127.JPG
  • IMG_3125.JPG

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#50 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 26 March 2019 - 10:46 PM

Thanks a ton.. really appreciate you taking the time for both the drawings and photos... how thick are the three brackets? 3/16”? And width is 3”?
This will help a lot.

Henry David Thoreau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users