#1 paulclancy

paulclancy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationNorthern Vermont

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:01 AM

So I bought 10 ply tires for a new Tacoma/Fleet combo and had them installed today.
They are currently at 35psi with no camper and ride fine city/highway.

When the camper gets installed on the truck, should I increase the tire pressure ?
They can go as high as 60psi, I think.

Sorry if it's a silly question, but I have never run 10 plys with a camper.
Any insights are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

#2 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:11 AM

When you say they CAN be inflated to 60 psi, if that is what the tire mfger says to roll with then you should probably air them up.

Too much air and you wear out the middle of the tread area, too little and you wear our the edges of the tread and in both instances the sidewalls are not designed to be too much over and certainly not at about half the recommended pressure.

Under inflation is sure way to turn 40,000 mile tires into 20,000 mile tires.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#3 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:26 AM

Often tire shops will only air a vehicle up to what is stated on the door placard of the vehicle regardless of what is stated on the tires.

#4 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:46 AM

If they are the same brand and size as OEM go by the door sticker.  If different go to the tire manufacturers website.  They should have (at least) basic guidelines for tire pressure vs. load.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#5 idahoron

idahoron

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 21 February 2017 - 01:32 AM

The factory tires are most likely P rated tires. If your truck was empty with P rated tires then use the sticker in the door. If you have E rated tires and have a camper add air. 

#6 DaveL

DaveL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:11 AM

My 34" KO2 are at 60 with the camper. My mechanic likes them there & they've done well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Edited by DaveL, 21 February 2017 - 02:12 AM.

2020 Ram Power Wagon 4x4, 2015 Hawk Shell w/ side dinette & heater

#7 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:25 AM

Paulclancy
Use the chalk method. Must be as close to weight you intend to drive with. Put a large band across top of each tire. Drive in straight line to get several rotations. Chalk in the center , under inflated. Chalk on the outside edges over inflated. Remember that number and that should be good for that truck with those tires at that weight. I keep an eye on mileage can be an indicator of change.
Good luck.
Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#8 bfh4n

bfh4n

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationLovingston, Virginia

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:28 AM

I upgraded the OEM "P" tires to "E", same size, before I got the camper. Since they are the same size, I use the door-post pressure when the camper is off the truck, which gives about the same ride as with the "P" tires.

Before I put the camper on for the first time, I measured the length (front-to-back) of the flat section of the tread in contact with the pavement. With the camper in place, I pumped up the tires until that area was the same length, resulting in 60 PSI rear and 40 PSI front. The truck rides and handles well with these pressures. I didn't want to use too much pressure and reduce my traction. The maximum pressure, as marked on the tire, is 80 PSI.

I took these measurements using a couple of thin plastic strips, about a foot long. I laid the strips flat on the pavement, one in front of the tire and one behind, perpendicular to the axis of the truck. Then I slide the strips in until they were touching the tread and measured the distance between them.

I don't remember where I got this idea, but it seems logical and has resulted in a good ride and handling. I haven't driven far enough yet to see how the tires are wearing.

- Bernard

2014 silver Fleet front-dinette

2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4WD TRD V6 6-speed

#9 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:44 AM

I posted about this earlier in this thread: http://www.wanderthe...d-air-pressure/

Toyota gave me some new door stickers for running LT tires on the Tacoma. - 46 psi front and rear for LT265-70-16. There was a Toyota TSB about this some time ago but I have lost the link. The dealer will install the new labels if you ask them. Saves having to redo the pressures every time you get the truck serviced.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#10 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:25 AM

Tire pressure on an "E" rated "10 ply" is much more than contact patch...the purpose for a 10 ply versus a 6 ply has to do with the flex and strength of the side walls; especially when carrying a heavy vehicle and or camper. Under inflate or insufficient sidewall strength will result in too much sidewall flex which in turn can heat the rubber and result in excessive sidewall punctures, cuts or total failure. Increase the speeds when leaving a sand section [5mph] when tires were deflated to gain traction and going onto pavement at high speeds [55mph +] without pumping the pressures back up and the sidewalls can fail from excessive flexing and generation of heat.  Even at slow speeds off road too much flex [6 vs 10 ply] will generate heat in the sidewalls and soften the sidewall with increases in failures [tread separation] or punctures [cuts].  10 plys can survive flexing and impacts much better than a 6 ply or less.  In extreme more plys also resist the tire rolling off the rim.  No joke, but this is not rocket science.

None of this addresses the protection of the rims off road at low tire pressures with stiffer sidewalls.

To go with the OEM sticker tire pressures when using an entirely different tire [hopefully one with more plys] just does not make sense.  You might get lucky or you might lose a tire especially carrying a load off road.  

OK, off the podium and of course I could be wrong! :D

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 22 February 2017 - 12:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users