11 replies to this topic

#1 Trowbocop

Trowbocop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationCurrently: Denver, Colorado

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:19 PM

Hi all, my wife and I just got married & are building up a 2007 FWC Eagle along with our 2003 Tacoma 4x4. This will serve as our home on wheels for our honeymoon as we search for where we want to plant roots with our two dogs. 

To be transparent, I knew nothing about vehicles or campers before diving into these, and I'm learning everything as I go thanks to online forums like this. I got the truck bone stock in 2011ish, got the camper almost 2 years ago. We've been all over the western states, and can't wait to full-time it across USA & Canada!

IMG 9565
IMG 9537
IMG 9568
Front End
Outside the Sequoias
Big Bear Yellow Post Sites
Beach Setup

I'm at a point where parts have piled up and I've actually got time for more installs! I've searched the forums and found some very helpful information, but nothing that is specifically what I'm looking for. So I guess I'm asking if anyone can help clear the fog.

First pending big project: Solar Install

I've got two 100w renogy panels & a PWM charge controller. I've installed Yakima tracks on the roof along the frame using existing holes with new screws. I have located the pre-wiring inside the roof. So all that's left is..everything about the install! The tracks are spaced out perfectly to use the z brackets in conjunction with the tracks and the little yakima plates that go in the tracks.

Mounting panels- check. Wiring panels- somewhat unclear, see below.

Here's what my game plan is so far: 2 panels wired parallel with the Renogy Branch Connectors. Then the Branch Connectors plug into the MC4 SAE adapter, which plugs into the SAE plug that will be wired to the existing wires in the roof. 

The red/black wires that come from the roof- they begin under the drawer under the stove area. So I'll pull those across to the battery area under the couch on the opposite side of the camper, where I'll plug those into the Charge Controller, then the Charge Controller into the 12v marine deep cycle battery.

Does anybody see any issues with that install? I'm certainly no electrician.

Second pending big project: Gas Shock Roof Assists

I purchased 4 40lb suspa gas shocks to aid in the lifting and lowering of the roof with the additional weight of panels added. I also have the ball joint plates. 

Does everyone drill completely through the camper to install the ball joints above the door and out front? Also wondering, then do the upper mounts just screw into the edge of the roof? 

Third pending big project: ARB 8' Awning

I'm having a difficult time finding mounting brackets that will attach to the passenger side of the camper. Many that I've been finding are for roof racks. Any recommendations? 

Fourth project: Rear Wall Flip Down Steps

I've got four of these collecting dust right now. What screws is everyone using to put these into the frame? Also- easy way to locate frame pieces in the rear wall?

Will update as I make progress. Cheers!

#2 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:53 PM

Welcome, Congrats on your recent marrisge, and congrats on the camper. I'm not mechanically inclined so no help here. You should get some great ideas from the WTW Gang. jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:25 AM

Google search is your friend!  I tried www.wanderthewest.com roof lift and found these threads:

http://www.wanderthe...shocks-thingys/

http://www.wanderthe...ift-gas-struts/

I recently installed a set of lifts too, and found it pretty simple.  I WAS surprised by the difference in length when the roof is up and roof is closed.  The distance between the balls on your attachment points needs to accomodate both distances.  This difference is minimized the closer the two attachment points are in "height".  So, as high as possible on the camper body.  This also minimizes the lifting power when the roof is closest to the down position.  Compromise!

Your plans for installing the wiring/controller sound good.  You might want to add a breaker/switch before the controller so you can disable the power from the panels.  Why?  Maintenance maybe?

Check out these threads:

http://www.wanderthe...e-solar-thread/

http://www.wanderthe...tty#entry158016

http://www.wanderthe...tty#entry157572

http://www.wanderthe... +power +scotty

#4 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:00 PM

Before you drill any holes. What length are your lift struts? The 36" struts used on many of these camper is not long enough. For an Eagle you will need 40" long struts. Eagles have taller canvas because of the shorter hard sides compared to a Hawk.

#5 Trowbocop

Trowbocop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:11 PM

Thanks Longhorn. I appreciate the links Vic! Great idea about the breaker/switch. Ordering that now. Will be nice to cut the power from the solar if the truck sits around for a few months. 

Hoping to get this installed before the end of this week or next! 

Squatch, I saw that somewhere before I ordered, so I ended up with the 40" struts. Now just need to read up about the recall and reinforcing the mounting plates! 

Pics to come following install!

#6 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:55 PM

I want to add outside struts to mine soon. The inside ones I'll keep as a backup. But would like them out of the way.

#7 Trowbocop

Trowbocop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:51 PM

Hey Vic, think these would be too weak to mount 40# struts with?

Ameritool BR-3300-32 Stainless Steel Short Flat Bracket

2.5" long .75" wide

10mm Ball Stud

Thanks in advance!

#8 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:47 PM

I think FWC uses the offset type now, not the flats. pic in this post

http://www.wanderthe...oo/#entry157360

#9 Trowbocop

Trowbocop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:06 AM

Those look better as the roof lifts one panel at a time- not straight up. That allows a bit of distance built in so the gas shocks don't bind on the ends of the roof as it lifts/lowers. I'll look into getting some of those.

Got busy today and wired up the charge controller & roof plug- stoked!

I used heavy duty sticky backed velcro to run the conduit across the front of the camper over to the battery box. 

I haven't yet plugged the wires into the battery- waiting until I mount the panels up top.

Pics or it didn't happen:

IMG 9651
IMG 9649
IMG 9648
IMG 9647

Edit* I'm not sure why two are upside down, tried to rotate them after posting- but meh, y'all get the point.

Edited by Trowbocop, 24 March 2017 - 02:11 AM.

#10 Trowbocop

Trowbocop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:19 AM

Got everything all installed. Gas shocks, yakima racks, solar panels & awning! Stoked.

IMG 9956
IMG 9979
IMG 9964

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tacoma, fwc, four wheel camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users