20 replies to this topic

#1 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:58 PM

I'm getting ready to put new tires on my F350, I'm looking at Cooper Discoverer A/T3 size LT275/65R20. I like to shop in my home community, but the quote my local dealer is $128 higher than Discount Tire on a per tire basis, so a bit more than $500 for all 4 tires.

That is a significant figure. Does anyone have experience with Discount Tire?

I am haunted by waters

#2 Bad Habit

Bad Habit

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:03 PM

I will buy from them on-line, then take the tires to a Local Discount Tire for mounting and balancing.  If you show you bought them from the On-line site, they charge the lower rate as if you bought them there at the store.  So far for me it's worked out well.

The stores themselves are like any other tire place, try to up sell everything, may or may not have what you want in stock.  Really depends on the people there.  Haven't had any problems or issues with their installs

2012 F350 Super Cab SB, 6.7l diesel, Hallmark K2

#3 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:05 PM

If it's the same "Discount Tire" as the store in Bend (formerly 'America's Tire')...I've bought tires (BFG) for my truck and snow tires (Michelin) for my car there. All good.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:25 PM

Did you ask if they'd match the price? 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:44 PM

BIg O Tires will have a $100 discount sale starting May 1 on all  Big O brand purchases. I will get my FWC then and plan to get the one made by cooper. Big O sales manager here told me it is an E rated tire and is the same as the AT3 but with a slightly different tread pattern. Big O has a 2 year unconditional warranty on any defect, including flats.

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:55 PM

Did you ask if they'd match the price?

Not yet, but I will.

I am haunted by waters

#7 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:04 PM

I've had nothing but positive experiences at my local Discount Tire.  I've been buying tires there for over 12 years.  Now my trucks, wife's car, sons' trucks and cars, and mother's car are all on Discount Tire rubber.  One set of Goodyears on mother's car wore badly and got very loud (AS tread pattern) as they wore down.  When those Goodyears were 3 years old, and with 8/32nds of tread depth remaining, they were ridiculously loud.  I took her car to the Discount Tire store, the rep drove it, said "you weren't kidding, were you?", and offered her a credit for 70% of the original price towards any replacements she wanted. That was 5 years ago and the Michelins she got then are still going strong.

I like the idea of the road hazard replacement being honored at all Discount Tire stores nationwide.  Lotsa comfort for a sometimes cross-country wanderer.

Foy

#8 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:07 PM

I use them for all my vehicles.  Sometimes you can even negotiate with them if you can find the tires cheaper. 

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#9 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:35 PM

We've had nothing but excellent service from Discount, both when we buy tires from them and when we bring in tires we've been comped by sponsors or are testing. Same courteous reception.

#10 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:47 PM

I just remembered -- a specific experience I had to recommend Discount Tire's service/policies:

When I destroyed my truck tire with a side-wall cut 3½ years ago, as described in Rubber vs Rock, they honored the road-hazard warranty -- surprising since it didn't happen on the road, and it was my fault, and I told them the circumstances -- and I got a new tire with the price discounted by the proportion of original tread left on the dead tire.

I was happy.

(Note: In my follow-up post I referred to "America's Tire" -- at the time that's what Discount Tire was called)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users