• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Speedbump

Speedbump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:53 PM

I have a semi truck and it uses a webasto diesel fuel heater to keep the sleeper warm without idling the truck. Has anyone seen this done before. Any thoughts or ideas on this conversion? Thanks

#2 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:09 PM

If I recall correctly the XP Camper uses a Webasto Diesel Heater.  However, I have not seen one put in a FWC - yet.

Regards,

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 21 March 2017 - 08:09 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#3 marc

marc

Fire Proof

• Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSouth Shores California

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:48 PM

I used to have an XPCamper and it had a Webasto Duel Top. This unit provided heat as well as hot H20 and worked very well.
In my Sprinter build I installed a Webasto diesel bunk heater tapped into my main fuel tank and it also has worked very well.
I highly recommend either Webasto or Espar.

2016 Sprinter Silver Gray 144 Std. Roof 4x4. 3.0 diesle, Cooper "Dicoverer" ST Maxx 255/85/16

#4 AK Nomad

AK Nomad

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:03 PM

I've used espars to preheat my trucks for years.  If I was building a camper I would seriously consider this route (single fuel source).  Locally, there's an experiment in heating a small house with a webasto.

#5 CamperCamper

CamperCamper

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:00 AM

I will be installing a Webasto diesel heater in a Hawk flatbed.  Will post about the process when it is done.

#6 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:52 AM

I used to have an XPCamper and it had a Webasto Duel Top. This unit provided heat as well as hot H20 and worked very well.
In my Sprinter build I installed a Webasto diesel bunk heater tapped into my main fuel tank and it also has worked very well.
I highly recommend either Webasto or Espar.

I camp frequently with Marc and I'll add, even with a muffler, the Webasto is very loud outside the van.  It sounds

like a small jet engine running.  I make it a point to park on the opposite side of the van from the heater exhaust. Even

then, it's quite audible. It's the nature of the beast.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:40 AM

We have a Wallas diesel heater/stove in our boat. It's two burner, both on when running, exhausted outside. The lid when down has a fan to distribute air, a bit noisy, reasonable current draw. We put an ECO fan on the cooler of the two burners and use it instead of the fan in the lid. Some of our boating group has had a lot of trouble with the Wallas, but it's often due to bad fuel or improper use. They're expensive (but it was a package deal) and can be temperamental, but they work... usually. Jody Kidd might chime in, as I think his boat also has a Wallas.

I believe Wallas makes a heater only version.

https://www.scanmari...nd/stoveheaters

I am haunted by waters

#8 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:17 AM

--snip--
We put an ECO fan on the cooler of the two burners and use it instead of the fan in the lid. --snip--
I believe Wallas makes a heater only version.
https://www.scanmari...nd/stoveheaters

Instead of an electrically powered fan, have you looked at a Stirling engine fan? Put it on the hotter side for more air flow. No electricity required. More expensive, perhaps, but think of the warm fuzzies from using a more eco-friendly solution. :)
https://www.stirling...gine-stove-fan/

Paul.

Edited by PaulT, 07 April 2017 - 06:19 AM.

I thought getting old would take longer.

#9 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:32 AM

Steve,
Is your fan the Peltier driven unit?
Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#10 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:30 PM

Steve,
Is your fan the Peltier driven unit?
Paul

Not a stirling engine, it uses a dissimilar metal stack to create a small current and drive the fan. I believe that is the Peltier engine technology.

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users