• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#11 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:16 PM

Wow, that's a gnarly pic.  Talk about an accident waiting to happen, with no clue that it even could happen.  Again, congrats on dodging what might have been an awful injury.  Please keep us posted on what you learn from the manufacturer.

Rico

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#12 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:20 PM

Is it the Plastic Rubbermaid Portable Entry Step  listed on the options sheet?

I just bought one from Walmart so will not use it until I find out.

A quick Google search found two reported incidents with the step breaking:

https://www.saferpro...&pcid=442&srt=0

This isn't the step he's talking about, it's the metal ones on the camper (optional). I have the rubbermaid step and have used it in hot and cold with no issues.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

#13 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:02 PM

Appears that the step had previous damage to it, or had a manufacturing defect or flaw.   Ron

#14 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:59 PM

Yep that looks like a bad casting. It's been broken inside for  while. Probably since made. It would be a good idea to inspect the other ones closely.

#15 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:11 PM

Yep that looks like a bad casting. It's been broken inside for  while. Probably since made. It would be a good idea to inspect the other ones closely.

Are you saying that this broken rung on the step would have had a visible surface indicator of a poor casting?

Also the "not for outdoors" warning on the step stool has nothing to do with temperature but does have to do with UV degradation over time of all plastics....plastic weakens when left exposed to UV [sunshine!].

Phil

#16 captainphx

captainphx

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationCave Creek, AZ

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:21 PM

You said you've had your camper for 10 months. Is that the age of the camper? Just curious.

Captainphx
FWC 2012 Raven
2013 Ford Raptor Supercrew
RPG Stage 3 with 2.5 inch and 4.0 inch bumpstops
Cave Creek, AZ

#17 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:25 PM

Are you saying that this broken rung on the step would have had a visible surface indicator of a poor casting?

Also the "not for outdoors" warning on the step stool has nothing to do with temperature but does have to do with UV degradation over time of all plastics....plastic weakens when left exposed to UV [sunshine!].

Phil

Quite possibly. That rust got inside there somehow. Things don't rust from the inside out without a way for moisture to get in there.

But that doesn't mean a hairline crack would be easy to see. In the pic it seems to have broken along the cast in tread bump line. Probably not something that would have been caught when giving it a once over before installing.The galvanizing or plating could have also hidden it. But if that was mine I'd sure be looking at the others with a magnifying glass just to be sure. 

Those little steps hold quite a load. it may have cracked with usage some time ago as well. Rusted a bit and finally let go last time you used it.

Edited by Squatch, 23 March 2017 - 12:28 PM.

#18 The Unshaven

The Unshaven

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationVentura County, CA

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:53 AM

Might try a dye pen test...

2015 FWC Fleet on 2006 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab

#19 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:19 AM

Gnarly! You're lucky that sharp edge didn't catch a thigh or calf. You could have bled to death right there!

I've never been really happy with my steps. ONE trip to the beach and the surface was pitted .... even after washing it as soon as I got home two days afterward. Hard for me to put any trust in them now.

Edited by Bombsight, 28 March 2017 - 04:52 PM.

#20 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:03 AM

Before we all need to junk our steps...perhaps by a show of hands...how many steps have broken?

This most likely has nothing to do with "rusting" but more with a casting failure....in any event the sky may not be falling.. ;)

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users