• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 alijabosdotcom

alijabosdotcom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:33 PM

Few items, I just picked up a used 2010 FWC Eagle for my double cab long box 2nd gen Taco.

1. Has anyone taken a hack saw to the front bumpers of their camper to shave them down an inch or two? The gap between the cab and the camper seems unnecessarily massive on mine.

2. Mounting it. I'm going to attempt to do my own install using angle iron or D rings and the factory bed mounting bolts. Anyone else gone the DIY route? How hard was it to remove the big hex bolts and install something?

3. Anyone store a bike inside their camper? Thought about installing a fork mount somewhere or wedging a 2x4 between the wheel well spots and mounting a through axle fork mount for my mountain bike.

4. Leg/jack removal? It appears most people remove the jacks and leave them at home. I will be on the road for 4 months and doubt I will be removing the camper from the truck. Doesn't seem like it's worth the hassle. I assume if I got a flat my factory jack could handle the extra weight to lift the truck with camper on? 

Edited by alijabosdotcom, 28 March 2017 - 03:35 PM.

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:51 PM

Congrats on your new camper. I'll help with question 4. Yes leave the jacks at home. With a smaller truck, shave weight where you can. We were curious on how well the factory jack and equipment would work when needed with the addition of the camper. We practiced scenarios here at home - jacking and changing tires - and gained the confidence all would go well in the field.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 28 March 2017 - 03:59 PM

Hello alijabosdotco
Congrats on the eagle, and the 4 month trip, don't forget to share with us home bodies. I'll take a stab a #1 call FWC, might be you could but I'd be willing to there is a reason the chose that thickness of a bump stop. You could probably find a thinner one online or from them if they give the green light.
Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#4 Josh41

Josh41

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:22 PM

I'm running another brand on a Frontier CC Long Box:

1.  My bump stops are only 2 inches and work fine.  Just make sure you have clearance on the front of your bed/windows etc.  

3.  We have put bikes inside, kinda a PITA.  You want to get something or get in late and have to take the bikes out.  If they are mountain bikes, they may be a mess and they you are putting all that dirt in your camper.  We are putting together a swing away rear hitch rack.

4. Take em off, I already has the unfortunate experience of ripping one off when an off road puddle was deeper than I thought (I was able to repair, but still sucked). As Ski3pin said, just make sure you can change a tire.  and don't forget, if you leave your tailgate on, you may not be able to access/lower your spare. 

Enjoy the trip!

Nissan Frontier 2016 CC LWB, 2" lift, tires, airbags and other stuff

FWC Fleet 

Summers Off

#5 alijabosdotcom

alijabosdotcom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:54 PM

Thank you for the time and thoughtful responses.

The only reason why I want my bike inside is because I am going to be spending some time in places like Raleigh and Atlanta etc., and I'd rather have it out of sight from some opportunistic thief. Dangling a $3k bike infront of a meth head = stolen bike. 

Edited by alijabosdotcom, 28 March 2017 - 04:55 PM.

#6 Josh41

Josh41

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:59 PM

Did you just buy the Fleet North of Boston? Im in Andover, let me know if you need any help.

FWC Fleet 

Summers Off

#7 alijabosdotcom

alijabosdotcom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:09 PM

Bought this one: http://www.wanderthe...toyota-tundra/ 

I'm in Ontario and ended up doing a 17hr drive to Ohio and back to get it. Got dinged pretty bad a the border for duty and taxes too. 

#8 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:31 PM

I removed the front bumpstops completely when Chris at Rocky Mountain Four Wheel campers and I installed it at his shop. We put just a 1/4" thick piece of rubber in front of the camper. Looks so much better with it mounted as far forward as possible plus it's best to have the weight as far forward as possible too. I keep mine mounted full time so yes the jacks are off and stay at home.The factory mounting hardware for the bed is good equipment, I'd just bite the bullet and buy it. I have upgraded my turnbuckles to 3/8" and believe I ended the breaking and loosening problem.  Ron

#9 Josh41

Josh41

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:36 PM

Thats the one, they said it was coming to Mass if you did not buy it.  Looks like a nice FWC.  Did you get all that batter power?  Enjoy.

FWC Fleet 

Summers Off

#10 Stalking Light

Stalking Light

Feral Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationLand of grits and gravy

Posted 28 March 2017 - 06:12 PM

Nice looking camper. I love my Eagle on my Tacoma.

Charlie...
Stalking Light
2014 FWC Eagle on 2015 Tacoma Quad Cab Long Bed

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eagle, tacoma, toyota, fleet

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users