#1 mhjackson123

mhjackson123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, CANADA

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:11 PM

I am looking for advice on getting a portable fridge for our FWC Hawk Shell. I have narrowed my choices down to ARB and Truckfridge models due to availability in Canada and am trying to decide between ARB and TF as well as between the smaller size (35L ARB or 42 L TF) or the larger size (47L ARB or 56L TF).

The TF fridges are less expensive than the ARBs, but there seem to be fewer accessories available such as a transit bag etc.

For both brands, the two sizes seem to be the same length and width but different heights and using the same cooling/compressor system.

How useful have people found the extra volume space?

I looked for a thread comparing portable fridge models, but could not find one... if this has already been discussed, please point me in the right direction!

--------------------------------------

FWC Hawk Shell

GMC Sierra 1500, 6.5 ft bed

#2 mynxd

mynxd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWest Vancouver, BC

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:54 PM

Steveston Marine in Vancouver carries Engel (and are usually on sale during this time of year. I have the MR40 (now 5 years old) and it is still serving me well. I usually use it as a freezer, and leave it in the cab of the truck (usable even when my camper is off the truck).

When I purchased it (March 2012), it was $750 (Cdn). All online retailers were more expensive at the time ($799 US + shipping).

Had the TF been available at the time (I did not find it in my online searches), I probably would have ordered it, instead of the Engel

My wife and I have used the camper about 375 nights since we picked it up in June 2012., and the 40 has been good for us.

2010 Siverado 4x4, 2012 ATC Ocelot

#3 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:15 PM

The TF is an Indel B, used across the world and offered for sale through various other vendors as well such as Equipt in SLC . I've seen them and they're a solid unit with a good price point. The ARB is spendy but outstanding; I bought mine during a special sale. ARB service and backup are top notch, though, and I have zero regrets buying it.

The 50 liter size seems to hit the sweet spot for most people. I have the ARB 53l and it works well. I rarely fill it to capacity for myself but find the extra room handy when I'm with a group. I tend to replenish refrigerated supplies every 5 days of so. I don't keep a lot of cold sodas or beer in it which can take up space, but if you restock each evening with a "daily allotment" of drinks you can enjoy cold ones the next day.

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#4 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:35 PM

I bought a TF 42L back in early 2012 and it has been great.

Last year on 5 night ferry trip in Alaska it was on the whole ferry trip.

The voltage setting was on high with my 100ah battery.

It shut off some time during the early morning of the last night.Still holding the temp of 36*.

Not sure that there is a thread that compares the two but has posts from both owner types.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#5 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:56 PM

I,ve been running an ARB for several years and really like it, it's the ARB 50 and is just the right size. Mounted it in my Eagle shell and hard wired it.   Ron

Edited by nikonron, 28 March 2017 - 10:56 PM.

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 28 March 2017 - 11:29 PM

I think either one would be fine for you. We use a 40L Engel, and it actually has a little too much capacity for short trips. I fill it with frozen water bottles to take up the additional volume. You can either drink the cold water as it thaws, or use it to keep an ice chest going.

I am haunted by waters

#7 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:20 AM

I recently had the same question about size and just ordered a Truckfridge TF51 based on the feedback that I got back. The footprint is the same for the TF41, the only difference is height which isn't going to be a problem for me. The power draw seems to be about the same too. Interesting thing when I ordered it, the website said it was $599.00 plus shipping, but when I got the confirmation e-mail, it was $549.00 and free shipping!! Whaaat?? Works for me. The topic was Truck Fridge Portable Fridge. Sorry I don't know how to include the link to the thread.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#8 mhjackson123

mhjackson123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for all the feedback! It looks as if I can't go wrong with any of the models mentioned. After more searching I found good info on power usage etc, which helps in the planning.

I need to measure some spaces in my boat as I would like to be able to move the fridge from the Hawk shell to my 22ft C-dory at times.

I am leaning towards the larger 50ish qt/L sizes since I can always keep a few extra beers in the fridge to use up the space!

FWC Hawk Shell

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:39 PM

Thanks for all the feedback! It looks as if I can't go wrong with any of the models mentioned. After more searching I found good info on power usage etc, which helps in the planning.

I need to measure some spaces in my boat as I would like to be able to move the fridge from the Hawk shell to my 22ft C-dory at times.

I am leaning towards the larger 50ish qt/L sizes since I can always keep a few extra beers in the fridge to use up the space!

CDory???   Are you on CBrats?

We use our Engel on our CDory, complimented by an ice chest for daily stuff.   The Engel serves as a freezer, and a way of Making/keeping ice for the Yeti.  In hot weather (85 degrees F and up) takes about 2 hours of charging (Yamaha 1000) a day to keep the Group 27 battery topped off.   

Dr Bob (Thataway) uses two on his dory.   One as a freezer, one as a refer. 

I am haunted by waters

#10 mhjackson123

mhjackson123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:20 PM

Small world! I am definitely also a C-brat. Where do you keep the Engel on the c-dory?

FWC Hawk Shell

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users