22 replies to this topic

#11 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:39 PM

Small world! I am definitely also a C-brat. Where do you keep the Engel on the c-dory?

Yup, small world. Maybe we need a thread for Brats. There are at least three of us now.

If I'm solo, it's in the cabin. When The Bride is on the trip, it is in the cockpit on the port side. I leave enough clearance for the door to swing closed.

I am haunted by waters

#12 mhjackson123

mhjackson123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, CANADA

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:08 PM

I was wondering about the cockpit and weather for an electric device. Would have been fine on our lake Powell trip!

--------------------------------------

FWC Hawk Shell

GMC Sierra 1500, 6.5 ft bed

#13 Bigfoot Dave

Bigfoot Dave

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:20 PM

Always great to hear about the C-Dorys! I'm not active with the C-Brats but sold almost 500 of them over 24 years and have thousands of miles cruising Lake Superior in them. Count me in, Dave Miller(Bigfoot Dave)

#14 mhjackson123

mhjackson123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:16 PM

So, I ended up getting the ARB 50 qt and so far it is looking good. As a bit of a test, i have been running it in my c-dory on AC in my driveway with a power meter in line. So far it has been cooling several litres of water to the set temp of zero C, and being opened occasionally. Not very scientific, but based on 66 hrs of running so far it had used .41 kWh which converts to 6.2 W average and about a 0.5 A average current.

How low should I let the battery go? The ARB has several cutoff voltages...

FWC Hawk Shell

#15 RockCod

RockCod

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:16 PM

Nice choice, :) . I also recently picked one up.Have you  checked the accuracy of the digital thermostat.  ? I used a calibrated Thermo Chef meat thermometer( ice method for calibration) and my ARB  readout was 12 degrees F  cooler than actual temp. The ARB can be calibrated plus/minus 8 degrees on the control panel. I added plus 8 to get it accurate within 4 degrees , that number is within the manufacture's specs. At the time of the test ambient air temp was 63/65 F.It was  2/3 full which helps to stabilize  the internal temperature. How do you feel about the noise level while the compressor is running ?  It seems pretty quiet to me, but it sits in my kitchen until the camper is ready...  

Rock

2018 FX4 3.5 V6 Supercrew HDPP.        ATC Ocelot . DELIVERED !!! 25April17.  such a fine unit it is !

Rock.....

#16 kmacafee

kmacafee

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul, MN

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:20 PM

The latest issue of Overland Journal has a review of a number of fridges/

#17 mhjackson123

mhjackson123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:21 PM

Thanks. I was going to check the actual temp soon. I have a wireless thermometer that I was going to rig up... I don't remember seeing how to calibrate the ARB temp setting.

FWC Hawk Shell

#18 RockCod

RockCod

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 11 April 2017 - 12:03 AM

You may not need to adjust it. For some reason I seem to test/measure/calibrate everything. I will def put a wireless thermo inside. They have great customer support, and I've never had an issue getting a tech on the phone in a timely fashion.

I couldn't find it in the manual but I did  google " Calibrate ARB Fridge 50 L and came up with directions on a Land Rover site, I tried to copy/paste here and failed. The procedure is very quick and simple.

I also couldn't use the "quote " function here this time, maybe sunspots ? IDK why...

Rock     

2018 FX4 3.5 V6 Supercrew HDPP.        ATC Ocelot . DELIVERED !!! 25April17.  such a fine unit it is !

Rock.....

#19 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 11 April 2017 - 12:14 AM

So, I ended up getting the ARB 50 qt and so far it is looking good. As a bit of a test, i have been running it in my c-dory on AC in my driveway with a power meter in line. So far it has been cooling several litres of water to the set temp of zero C, and being opened occasionally. Not very scientific, but based on 66 hrs of running so far it had used .41 kWh which converts to 6.2 W average and about a 0.5 A average current.

How low should I let the battery go? The ARB has several cutoff voltages...

12.2v is what my batteries (Rolls/Surrette AGM) claim as 50% SOC at 25*C.

#20 mhjackson123

mhjackson123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:56 AM

Just thought I would provide an update. My ARB 50qt has been using about 12 Ah per day while keeping everything at just above zero Celsius. So I appear to have about 3 days worth before draining my 72AH  factory supplied battery to 50% (assuming no other draws - I rarely use the heater and fantastic fan and the lights are not on for long.). I have been using a 40W portable GoPower solar panel and it seems to be able to keep up with the fridge pretty well (up here in Victoria BC)  when not moving, and driving for an hour seems to also replenish a day's worth of Fridge use. All in all I am delighted with this fridge system. It seems that these portable compressor fridges are great!

I installed a Victron 700 battery monitor and am really impressed with it. It gives me a very good idea of what goes in (from solar, truck or charger) and out of the battery

FWC Hawk Shell

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users