Photo
- - - - -

Central California Coast Camping et Cetera?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:53 PM

Though I'm a native born Californian (before I became a naturalized Oregonian) I've never -- ever -- been anywhere on the California coast between Monterey and Santa Barbara.

I'm thinking I should check it out.  This would be sometime between mid-May and early June this year.

Any recommendations for places to see, explore?  Campgrounds, camping spots?  Et cetera...?  
(Could even include recommendations for indoor lodging)

I think I'm mostly interested in places near the coast, but that could include Coast Range -- not just the beach.

I should mention that this trip will likely be in my little car with tent -- not truck camper -- so I won't be able to take roads more gnarly than smooth-graded gravel.

Thanks, guys.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#2 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:04 AM

Oh it is amazing. Gotta do at least one tour at Hearst Castle. Lots of camping along the coast. Prewitt Ridge is nice. Can be buggy and windy but amazing views looking down on the fog laden coast down below.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#3 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:21 PM

Keep in mind a bridge is out on Hwy 1 south of Carmel.  You can't drive from Carmel to Hearst Castle on 1.

#4 Backroad Joe

Backroad Joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPinon Hills, CA

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:02 PM

Do keep in mind that is the foggy time of year. What we call May gray, June gloom.

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 5.7L Hemi, 2011 Palomino Bronco B800, 1968 Jeep CJ5

KG6YQQ

#5 NivekD

NivekD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationWest Jordan, Utah

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:13 PM

Just returned from a Central Coast trip, stayed a night in Cambria and camped at San Simeon campground. Went to Morro bay and did some whale watching. Great area. As Espresso stated, you can only go as far as Ragged Point on the PCH. Make sure you check out the Elephant Seals.

DSC_0135_zpsguqngpe0.jpg

DSC_0134_zps7ryw0q5e.jpg

DSC_0127_zpsag22ni8i.jpg

DSC_0145_zpsu99nklu9.jpg

2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT :: 1988 Sun Lite Eagle

#6 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:21 PM

Thanks guys, and more input is still appreciated. :)

Fog:  I hadn't thought of that... I'd checked the temperature and precipitation and both of those parameters looked good, but I didn't check fog or cloud-cover in general... Hmmm -- need to look into that further.

#7 OpenSpace

OpenSpace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationColorado Plateau

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:09 PM

Heads up that we drove from Santa Barbara to San Fran a few years ago mid-summer and couldn't find ANY camping along the coast. Reservations are required for most areas and they go fast. Brilliant drive though.

www.wildlandtrekking.com

#8 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:31 AM

Though I'm a native born Californian (before I became a naturalized Oregonian) I've never -- ever -- been anywhere on the California coast between Monterey and Santa Barbara...

OK, turns out this isn't quite correct.  I just talked to my mom, and she told me that we did camp on that part of the CA coast, near Hearst Castle, when I was about 2 years old.  She says she has a photo of my dad surf fishing and me in underwear on the beach... Thanks Mom.  :rolleyes:

Nope, I don't remember anything like that. 

#9 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:25 PM

Pictures or it didn't happen! Notice how that works both ways. :)

Now that Spring Break is mostly over and if you're there during the week you *might* be able to score a camp site in Carrizo Plain and catch the trailing end of the Super Bloom.

There's a campground or two on the backside of the ridge going East past Prewit down the Nacimiento-Ferguson Road that might be in the middle of their own Super Bloom. I'd expect that Ft. Hunter Liggett has some bloom going on and that road would be a good way to see it.

I've recently been told that at San Simeon I've been passing a not well kept secret for years. Though I'll bet they're pretty on-guard about people bivouac camping in their parking lot.

The Pinnacles are also right in the area, worth the stop, and there's camping at the East Entrance.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,291 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:30 PM

Headed to Montana del Oro next Tuesday. Several spots open mid week.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users