91 replies to this topic

#11 Mark W. Ingalls

Mark W. Ingalls

• Members
  • 1,248 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 November 2008 - 04:04 PM

Dear buzzman--

The question that occurs to me is, "How does Sherri feel about future adventures?" I am thinking, too, about a separate sub-forum devoted to the women who are devoted to their men... What can we do to bring our beloveds more enjoyment while they are wandering with us?

Thanks for the report.

Mark

#12 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 14 November 2008 - 04:45 PM

Thanks for the trip report. I usually sleep just fine when its raining. Unless the dog needs to go out. What are you gonna do? Dogs gotta go. Wet dogs not fun /sigh.

More pics. I'm sure thats all you have.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#13 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 14 November 2008 - 04:52 PM

buzz,

Really enjoying your report and pics, looking forward to the rest of it, thanks for sharing it with us.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

#14 buzzman

buzzman

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCrossville, TN

Posted 14 November 2008 - 04:57 PM

The next day we had beautiful sunny skies and a little warmer temps. We visited the Guadalupe Mts. NP located a little south of Carlsbad Caverns on the southern end of the Guadalupe Mt. range. The core of this mountain range is a erosional remnant of an ancient coral reef.

El Capitan peak viewed from the visitor center. 8085 ft of old coral reef. Yes, there's more than one El Capitan in this country.
Posted Image

We walked the short nature trail to the Butterfield Overland Mail stage coach station.
Posted Image

What's left of Pinery Station
Posted Image

After leaving the park we stopped at this great over look along hwy 180 going south to look back at El Capitan. Guadalupe Peak, the highest point in TX, is out of site in the background behind El Capitan.
Posted Image

A nice day on the road.
Posted Image

Here's a view south from the same overlook. You can see our road ahead, hwy 180, way out in the distance.
Posted Image

2017 Ram 3500 6.4L gas SRW, CC, 2wd, 8' bed

2007 FWC Grandby--Sold

2015 Hallmark Ute XL

#15 SunMan

SunMan

King Taco

• Members
  • 2,362 posts
  • LocationOxnard, CA.

Posted 14 November 2008 - 05:33 PM

Keep 'em coming...Enjoying the tale.

Sunman
2003 Four Wheel Camper -Hawk

2023 All Terrain Camper - Panther 
2006 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD
2017 Toyota Tundra Double Cab Limited 4WD

#16 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 14 November 2008 - 05:38 PM

I love your truck. Thanks for the pics.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#17 buzzman

buzzman

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCrossville, TN

Posted 15 November 2008 - 02:33 AM

Mark,

You are right. We need to be concerned about our traveling partners' enjoyment of this type of wandering. Sherri did get to visit her Brother in Santa Barbara, CA and her son in Gardnerville, NV. And I tried to encourage her speak up, forcefully if necessary, if there was a place she really wanted to visit. Most of Sherri's lady friends would not even consider spending 29 days in a truck camper, not having access to a full size shower every night, or having to climb up into a cabover bed each night, or using a small porta potti at night, etc, etc. Sherri seems to enjoy the travel. She likes taking pictures and seeing the sights, in fact, many of the pictures I have posted here were taken by her. But saying that, there were times when the cold weather was bothering her. She didn't mind the rain, but the cold was not fun for her. And there were a couple days when we really got on each others' nerves. But mostly we had a lot of fun. The further we went on, the more we got into the spirit of it all and the more we felt comfortable traveling like this. As the trip progressed, the more we got into the relaxation and enjoyment mode. As stated on this forum, "drive slow, it's the journey". We started following that rule more and more the longer we were away from home.

She and I have talked about this kind of travel a lot, and she definitely wants to do it again. So I feel lucky.:)

Sherri taking charge in the camper

Attached Thumbnails

• Sherri taking charge..jpg

2007 FWC Grandby--Sold

2015 Hallmark Ute XL

#18 buzzman

buzzman

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCrossville, TN

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:37 AM

We followed hwy 62/180 from Guadalupe Mts NP toward El Paso TX. It was nice day and the scenery was awesome. It's probablyno big deal to those of you who live in the west, but I am always amazed at the wide open space in the western states. We definitely saw some open space on this section of our trip.

Some scenery along TX hwy 62/180. Looking north
Posted Image

Salt flats along the way
Posted Image

More west TX scenery
Posted Image

There was even cell phone coverage out there.
Look Ma, no hands!
Posted Image

We camped at the Siesta RV park in Mesilla NM, near Las Cruces. This was our first "city camping" on this trip. Turned out to be a good choice because we visited historic Mesilla the next morning.
Posted Image

Historic Mesilla NM. Sherri liked this old place.
Posted Image

More historic Mesilla
Posted Image

Some Mesilla streets
Posted Image

Sherri enjoying.
Posted Image

2007 FWC Grandby--Sold

2015 Hallmark Ute XL

#19 buzzman

buzzman

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationCrossville, TN

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:22 PM

We planned this next segment toward Silver City, NM. We didn't know what we would do when we got there. There are mines and museums to tour, and cliff dwellings to visit, but we stopped at the USFS visitor center in Silver City and they told us about the "Catwalk". We decided to go there since it was kind of out in the wilderness. This was a another one of those unexpected gems we found on this trip.

The Catwalk
Posted Image

More Catwalk
Posted Image

Catwalk walls of volcanic rock
Posted Image

Part of the Catwalk 1 mile trail
Posted Image

It was getting late in the day when we visited the Catwalk so we had to hurry up and get to our camp site. At the FS Ranger station we found out about and isolated camping area, Pueblo Park, located up a 6 mile dirt/gravel FS road in the Apache NF. This photo doesn't do justice to all the switchbacks and ruts. Six miles took 30 mintutes, but it was still okay for 2wd.
Posted Image

Our camp site in Apache NF. There was only one other camper in the area, a couple with an Outfitter pop-up. We got a tour of the camper...nice rig, but unfortunately I didn't take any pictures. It's fun to meet other truck camper folks and talk shop.
A cold morning in the forest!
Posted Image

The next morning we continued north/west on hwy 180. A very scenic drive!
Posted Image

More Apache NF
Posted Image

A stop along Hwy 180
Posted Image

In AZ now on hwy 180 going to the Petrified Forest NP.
Posted Image

More AZ hwy 180 going north to Petrified Forest NP. The wide open spaces are truly amazing.
Posted Image

2007 FWC Grandby--Sold

2015 Hallmark Ute XL

#20 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:13 PM

Buzzman, The West is big. I have been camping through the West since 1968. I have been through most of this country and never seen half the stuff you saw. Your pictures are wonderful and I am looking for more.

Next time we go west, I'm going to pick you up along the way and take you with us because you are handy to have along. Replacing that heater core in someones driveway was outstanding.

My GF will not stay in a motel. She does not like the kinky hairs on the sheets and the bedbugs. She insists we carry a tent so she can make me sleep outside if I talk back. She keeps the revolver inside and I am bait out in the tent. John D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users