• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:08 PM

I was having our camper's propane tank refilled at my local source and saw a new notice that said they cannot refill a tank over 10 years old. The attendant said that was put up earlier this year. I understood that Canada used a 10-year limit but that it was 12 years in the U.S. and can be recertified at 5-year intervals after that. Has anyone heard of the 10-year limit here? I could not find anything on the internet. 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:41 PM

I was having our camper's propane tank refilled at my local source and saw a new notice that said they cannot refill a tank over 10 years old. The attendant said that was put up earlier this year. I understood that Canada used a 10-year limit but that it was 12 years in the U.S. and can be recertified at 5-year intervals after that. Has anyone heard of the 10-year limit here? I could not find anything on the internet. 

The 10 year limit has been around for quite a while, but Oregon just started vigorously enforcing it.   I've got four tanks that I need to get recertified.   :unsure:

I am haunted by waters

#3 NivekD

NivekD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationWest Jordan, Utah

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:30 PM

I just exchange old ones for newer ones rather than re-certify.

2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT :: 1988 Sun Lite Eagle

#4 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:49 PM

I just had a 25ish year old tank recertified.  It is the 11# pancake style, had the valve changed over when they did that however many years ago.  It fits under the couch of the Grandby and I use it for the propane fire now so as long as it keeps passing $10 is cheaper than a new tanks.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#5 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 24 April 2017 - 10:53 PM

This may give us a clue as to what changed...... (from LP Gas Magazine)....

DOT cylinder requalification rule to impact propane marketers

January 19, 2017 By Megan Smalley    

The Department of Transportation (DOT) finalized a rule last year that affects the time frame for the requalification of propane cylinders and is set to take effect Jan. 23, according to the National Propane Gas Association (NPGA).

The new rule impacts anyone who requalifies, fills, transports or prepares shipments of DOT cylinders. The changes were part of a Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) rulemaking titled HM-233F, which was published as a final rule on Jan. 21, 2016. HM-233F incorporated about 100 special permits into the federal hazardous materials regulations, NPGA says. The changes modify 49 CFR 180.209e of the hazardous materials regulations.

The rule reduces the initial requalification period for DOT cylinders from 12 years to 10 years from the date of manufacture. It reduces the period from 12 years to 10 years for cylinders requalified using volumetric expansion testing. However, the requalification period for DOT cylinders following a proof pressure test increases from seven years to 10 years. The five-year visual inspection method for cylinder requalification does not change.

<snip>

Link to source

(I'm not sure that's the whole story but it's likely the basic idea--- DOT rules changes)

Edited by Old Crow, 24 April 2017 - 10:58 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#6 searching for nowhere

searching for nowhere

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:14 AM

How does one get tanks recertified?

Thanks

Camping with a small trailer.  Everyday is a good day to go camping.

https://searchingfor.wordpress.com/

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:28 AM

How does one get tanks recertified?

Thanks

I would look for a large bulk propane dealer like Amerigas...

I am haunted by waters

#8 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 25 April 2017 - 11:50 AM

I just exchange old ones for newer ones rather than re-certify.

No way to exchange my '08 ATC Cougar horizontal propane tank... ~$160+

Attached Thumbnails

• HorizTank.jpg

'08 ATC Cougar (built 06/16/08)
# of nights in camper: '08=15, '12=21,'13=16, '14=10, '15=52, '16=11, '17=20 (equals 145)

#9 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:05 PM

The horizontal tank in my 01 Hawk is out of date.  When I realized it, I called around to the bulk propane suppliers in my area and learned the ones closest to me don't do the certification.  However, they told me where I could get it done.

I did this some time ago but if memory serves, I called Amerigas and Suburban Propane locations and a couple of smaller independents in a 15 mile radius.   The closest place that does certifications is a Suburban Propane about 25 miles from me.

That location told me the certification itself would be $15 but requires a purge of the tank so I'd also need a refill at $18.80.

The clerk told me the tank would have to be replaced after 5 years after that initial recertification but that's not true-- a tank can be re-certified again and again so long as it's still in good condition.  The lesson there is it's best to do some research on the subject before taking the tank in.

In my case, I have a nearly-full tank in excellent condition so have chosen not to get it re-certified until the propane runs low.  I've also been considering swapping out the 20# tank for two smaller ones but haven't yet done the research.  (If anyone has swapped out a horizontal for two verticals, please post or PM me!)

Edited 5/10/17 for a correction.  The location now says a purge of the tank is not required. See post #22.  

Edited by Old Crow, 10 May 2017 - 01:12 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#10 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:23 PM

... but requires a purge of the tank so I'd also need a refill at &#36;18.80.

OUCH!

'08 ATC Cougar (built 06/16/08)
# of nights in camper: '08=15, '12=21,'13=16, '14=10, '15=52, '16=11, '17=20 (equals 145)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users