• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 27 April 2017 - 01:05 PM

Hi all - I've been pondering picking up a small inflatable type watercraft this summer for some of the smaller water that's around (think Manzanita lake for instance, but also Milton, Hobart, etc).  I've got the hard shell kayaks and rack on the camper but this would be more for solo fishing trips so something I can easily store in the back of the crew cab or even the Wrangler and easily get down to the water (or back up at the end of a long day)

I've been planning on a pontoon like the Classic Accessories Colorado, but saw and add for this guy and was thinking this might be a good alternative.  

https://www.seaeagle...ishingBoats/PF7

Any thoughts?  

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 April 2017 - 01:36 PM

Vic, you're going to fight the wind in a raft like this. I'd consider a good float tube first.

I am haunted by waters

#3 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 27 April 2017 - 07:28 PM

Why I like a float tub with a really good fin design...I sit lower in the water and use my legs to move me around. That leaves my handsfree to have a fly rod in my hands. That means while putting around I can feel anything happening on at other end of the line. That is just me...

Edited by pvstoy, 28 April 2017 - 01:50 PM.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#4 mhjackson123

mhjackson123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, CANADA

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:09 AM

I am very fond of the watermaster rafts or flyfishing lakes and rivers. I have a 21 year old version of the Grizzly and it is still going strong!

http://www.bigskyinflatables.com/

--------------------------------------

FWC Hawk Shell

GMC Sierra 1500, 6.5 ft bed

#5 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 29 April 2017 - 05:22 PM

Have you considered a classic pack canoe? How about a Hornbeck?

12' 15 lbs no inflation or folding or setting up frames. They even have pack frame mounts to carry them if you wish.

I have an Old Town Discovery 119. it's light at 45 lbs. but I'm thinking of moving to a Hornbeck for the camper roof.

http://www.hornbeckb...oats_bjc_12.php

#6 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:07 PM

I borrowed an inflatable kayak from a friend. I wasn't impressed. Since then I've been wanting an inflatable stand up paddle board. Smaller to pack than a kayak and very rigid and depending on the design quite stable. Not as much as a boat/hull of course. I don't plan to use it for fishing but have seen pics of people using them in that way.

That Hornbeck is pretty cool. Light too. Very spendy!

Edited by ETAV8R, 29 April 2017 - 09:07 PM.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#7 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:33 PM

This WTW thread from a few months ago has a good discussion on the +/- of inflatables:  http://www.wanderthe...flatable-kayak/

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#8 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:54 AM

We used to be Folbot devotees but wound up doing 1,000's of miles down whitewater rivers over many years. (Including four 18 and 21 day trips down the Grand Canyon.)

But then last week on a business trip to Florida Sioux and I rented a 2 person hard kayak for birdwatching and marveled how much we enjoyed it. BUT the all-day paddling really messed up my tendinitis... 

So today we went into the local rafting shop to buy some straps for an upcoming whitewater trip with our cataraft. Two hours we left with this baby and 3,300.00 (including tax) poorer! I'm not a fisherman but they say fishing guides love them.

It does fold up but makes for a really big package. I think my dreams of a regular cab for the next flatbed camper build just got squashed! :)

Steve

#9 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:00 PM

My $200 float tube is getting jealous....

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#10 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:38 PM

Howdy

The search for  a take along watercraft becomes a real issue for true campers who like to get away from the crowds.

We have owned Klepper folding kayaks for years and, while they are remarkably able sea boats and fun to just poke around a lake with, the time and fuss to assemble them just to paddle a lake is a bit of a pain.

Applying Davids' third Law of Boating Fun Quotient, we are now gonna drag along a 11.5 Livingston boat for a few trips.

Livingstons' have the advantage of being very tough, very cheap on the used market AND being very light to trailer or launch even without a ramp.

The catamaran hull shape makes them very stable for poking around and pretty safe if you set low in the hull during a blow.

We recently got a 12' footer that was even factory configured to Sail !

The advantage of dragging along a lightweight boat is that a lot of other toys ride in it and don't clutter up the camper....Livingstons were built as short as 7 feet.....probably light enough to roof top on a FWC.

Just some thoughts.

David Graves

PS I wish I could find a Livingston users forum but no luck yet.  

Edited by DavidGraves, 30 April 2017 - 06:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users