#1 Southern Gent

Southern Gent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationBessemer, AL.

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:48 PM

Greeting, I'm new at this stuff. Truck Camper aren't real popular in Alabama. I found and bought this 1996 Granby Camper in our area. The unit was in good repair with the Canvas replaced in recent years. The fellow was using 2 Oil Drums, pipe rollers, 2x4s and prayer to load the Granby into his 1/2 ton pick-up. Ok for him.

I found a set of 3 heavy duty ( 2,000 lb ) Screw type Truck Camper Jacks. Unknown model or vintage but in good working order. They are great but my truck bed height is at the top limit of their height capacity.

While I'm new at truck camping I have moved and lifted industrial equipment for many years. This isn't Ideal for the long term.

has anyone got any suggestions regarding Lifting Our Campers on to taller Truck beds?

1996 Granby Four Wheel Camper mounted on 2004 Silverado 4x4 Extended Cab w 8 Ft. bed truck. Happy Selling

#2 the fisherman

the fisherman

Big Time

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:57 PM

It depends on wether you want permenent jacks, or free standing. Most of these campers are equipped with Heico screw type jacks, I have an F250 with 41/2 lift and 35'' tires, I come on and off no problem, also if you have fender flares you will need swing out brackets on the permenent jacks, hope this helps, whats the matter with people in Alabama, no campers? you need to have your water checked.

#3 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:39 AM

Get yourself 4 of these boys, about 500 buckeroos. Bolt 'em on. Yard stick shows height above the ground. Otherwise, get four or five deer huntin' buddies and muscle it on. I'm in Rocket City.

Attached Thumbnails

• Camper jack.JPG

#4 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:21 AM

PS Put blocks under the jacks as needed. Stabalize the blocks as needed. That technique is covered somewhere else in this site and it ought to be a piece of cake to someone who has made industrial lifts. Having done that, you know that three jacks, or cable jacks, are too flimsy.

#5 chnlisle

chnlisle

Post Master

• Members
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationThe Old Pueblo

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:07 PM

Reicos will easily go up 36 inches. When I had my old Ranger on the Ram I needed to go up over 40 inches because of the 4x4's in the bed. A little scary but it did work. As far as swing out brackets go you can get som 1/4 inch alu plate and make your own but you will need to remove the jacks for travel but it saves a hundred bucks.

Special Engel Pricing For WTW Members

Click here to see my ATC Cougar
JayAronowSales.com
(520)579-9610
jayaronow@gmail.com

#6 Southern Gent

Southern Gent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationBessemer, AL.

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:22 PM

Greetings and thanks for your suggestions.

Last night we Shop Built 3 each 14" Extensions for my current lifts. See image. They are over kill due to the heavy stock we had available steel stock at my Buddy's Shop. But They Work and I still need to sand and paint them.

Camper Jacks Capital Investment $100.00 plus a Pot of Homemade Chili and 2 Six-Packs.

Long range I think I might get a set of Four Corner lifts. They appear to be a bit more stable in the Lift and lower process.

Attached Thumbnails

• modified granby jacks 11 17 08.jpg

1996 Granby Four Wheel Camper mounted on 2004 Silverado 4x4 Extended Cab w 8 Ft. bed truck. Happy Selling

#7 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:29 PM

Outstanding!

#8 Southern Gent

Southern Gent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationBessemer, AL.

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:17 PM

These Brackets We built worked Great. The system is very stable and forgiving.

I took my time in loading the Granby Camper and still had a misalignment event including one pretty good hit in the last 2 ft. The Jack System Shook but was in no danger of tipping.

I also experimented a bit and jacked the Camper about 8 to 10” above the Truck Bed.

Note: The Chrome Side Rails. I have a Couple 8 ft 2x4s under my Granby Camper to clear these Side rails.

You may have noted I only used about 4 to 5” of the brackets under the Camper ledge for my lift.

Attached Thumbnails

• _Media Card_BlackBerry_pictures_granby lift 11 20 08.jpg
  • _Media Card_BlackBerry_pictures_granby bracket lift fit 11 20 08.jpg
  • _Media Card_BlackBerry_pictures_Granby w Silverado 11 20 08.jpg

#9 John D

John D

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:34 PM

Niiiiiiice rig.

#10 DLN

DLN

• Members
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley Area, CA

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:56 AM

S-G,

Looking good. You might want to consider more 2x4's under the camper floor. It really should be supported around the whole perimeter and in two places through the field to avoid over stressing the plywood connections.
DLN Ex- 2006 Eagle - 2002 Tacoma TRD - Ride Rite Air Bags Current - 2004 17' Casita SD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users