• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Brieboldt

Brieboldt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 04:06 AM

HI Everyone,  I am desperate for some help.  My father passed way a year and a half ago and he was an adventurous camper/surfer.  I now have his four wheel pop up camper and was super excited to take my kids on some fun adventures but I can't get it to work.  I have brought it to the factory in Woodside CA, they put in a new battery and said all is well, but by the time I drove home it was dead.  I also brought it to an RV place who also sold me a battery, which had the same fate.  I have looked all everywhere trying to find a more detailed User's Manual so that I can learn how to use/have/keep a battery charged or working but I can't find any info.  

Question:  How does the electrical system work?  Should the truck charge the battery while I drive? Or do I charge the battery while plugged into shore power, and how long should a fully charged battery last before I have to recharge.

I'm just trying to keep the lights on and the fans running when I need them.

I'll probably have a million questions, so in advanced thanks everyone.

Brie

#2 97grandby

97grandby

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 04:12 AM

Hi brie, welcome aboard. Sounds like something is draining your battery to the point that it can't be recharged. It all depends on the year of camper
You have and what system you have wired in your camper. You can search the forum for trimetic 2030 rv battery monitor. It's basicly a fuel gauge for your battery and helps you know when things are on and how much power they are drawing. If you can let us know the year of your camper and possibly some pictures of your battery and wiring set up lots of solid people here on the boards can offer their advice.

"Overkill is under rated" 

my Grandby upgrades--http://www.wanderthe...-to-me-grandby/

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#3 Brieboldt

Brieboldt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 04:31 AM

Thanks 97. It's either 2001 or 2002.  I will take some pictures later this week as it's in storage.

#4 gaylon

gaylon

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationBoulder Creek

Posted 29 April 2017 - 06:00 AM

Post pics, Brie. We'll help.

2015 Hawk on a 2016 Tundra TRD Pro

#5 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 29 April 2017 - 07:11 AM

Brie,
If it is a Four Wheel Camper, there should be a metallic plaque on the rear below the door, maybe to the right of the door, that identifies the camper. With that info, you can download an owner's manual for the camper. Manuals for options should be there too
http://www.fourwh.co...ervice-manuals/

That should give you some places to look for ideas.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#6 WestCoast

WestCoast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:08 PM

Is the main switch to kill power off?

#7 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 01:57 PM

If the camper doesn't have a solar system installed, then your only charging sources will be shore power input through a charger/ inverter of some type and/or charging  from the truck while it is running, provided your dad/you had it wired that way. As mentioned, be sure the main 12v switch is off when not using the camper. Depending on what size battery you have , it only has so many amp hrs of power avail., if you don't know how many amps your drawing with different accessories turned on then you can run the battery down in short order. you can even run it so low it will permanently damage the battery to where it will not fully charge anymore. Read the avail manuals on the above link, that should help you with some answers. If you don't have a volt meter, get one.

#8 Brieboldt

Brieboldt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:32 PM

Thanks for all the info. Gives me somewhere to start. I'm going to load the camper this week. I'll take lots of pictures and try to find the right manual!

Brie

#9 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:34 PM

You mentioned "battery" not "batteries"...what year is the camper and at least on our Hawk, and I believe most others, we have the optional dual battery set up....I do concur with others, there is something draining the battery that is not supposed to.  

The manuals for the FWC are very detailed, but a FWC dealer is still probably your best bet for trouble shooting this issue.

Best of luck.  I see "Brieboldt" is that like Brie in Humboldt?

Phil

#10 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:48 PM

If you have a three way fridge (one that runs on propane, AC, DC), make sure it isn't running on DC power. They are meant to run on propane or AC. When on DC, a 3 way fridge will drain your battery very quickly.
Turn off the fridge, charge your battery and see how long the charge lasts.

Good luck and welcome to the wonders of camper power management. :)

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users