12 replies to this topic

#1 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:37 PM

This should probably be a thread about "I wonder what he is up to now!" since he got into my wallet big time last week after eating something that made it appear like he had a blocked bowel.   No fun having a dog that is going at both ends...   Thankfully, he was OK with some rehydration and a bit of care, so today we went out to a NAVHDA (North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association) training day.

The training was for 3 skills, and I should really be honest and say that the training is for the handlers, not the dog.   They already have the skills, it's just learning how we owners can take best advantage of it.   We did a search for planted birds, then a tracking exercise with a pheasant scent trail and lastly retrieving from water.   Fritz was outstanding in all three.    

Here's a photo of him on point.

gallery_4841_711_416100.jpg

Here with an experienced NAVHDA member showing me how it's done...

gallery_4841_711_1038030.jpg

In the tracking, Fritz immediately picked up the scent trail then worked back and forth across it until he found the bird.   I was most impressed with his water retrieve, a skill to which I had not yet introduced him.   A couple of shallow tosses of the bumper and he retrieved perfectly.   A couple of longer throws where he had to swim and there was no hesitation.   He went in and started swimming strongly, no thrashing at all.   The worst thing was me losing my footing when taking a bumper, and landing on my butt in the mud.  

I'm pretty proud of this pup.

I am haunted by waters

#2 searching for nowhere

searching for nowhere

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:41 PM

What type of dog is the pup?  He is mighty handsome.

Camping with a small trailer.  Everyday is a good day to go camping.

https://searchingfor.wordpress.com/

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 11:42 PM

What type of dog is the pup? He is mighty handsome.

Fritz is a German Wirehaired Pointer. He's 8 1/2 months today. Thanks for the kind words!!!!

I am haunted by waters

#4 TrapperMike

TrapperMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 30 April 2017 - 01:48 AM

Keep up the great work with your dog! There is almost nothing better than a good bird dog.

2016 FWC Hawk Shell

2011 Chev Silverado 1500 4x4 ext cab

2018 Chev Silverado 2500 4x4 ext cab 

Super Springs

Helwig Sway Bar

#5 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 30 April 2017 - 01:17 PM

Good for you! Working dogs love to work. Too few folks these days give them the chance.

#6 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 30 April 2017 - 05:29 PM

Beautiful dog. Nice story. Thanks for sharing. jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#7 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 April 2017 - 09:00 PM

He is a mighty fine looking dog :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#8 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 May 2017 - 12:21 PM

Being a "dog-nut" it is great to see a dog in its clime. Doing Dog. A well trained dog is a wonder and you are right ... it is really training the owner. Dogs are happiest when they are bonded to their owner and "know the rules"... gives them a secure feeling. Thanks for the photos too... that is 100% concentration. A happy man and happy dog!

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:04 PM

Last Sunday was our local NAVHDA chapter's Fall Hunt Natural Ability Test. Fritz and another dog (a pudelpointer) were the high scoring dogs, both earning 110 of 112 possible points. It was extremely hot and scenting conditions were difficult, all dogs had difficulty tracking a single bird that was released for each of them. Fritz and the pudelpointer dropped a point ( from a 4 to a 3, with a weighting factor of 2) during the tracking event, leading to the score of 110.

In the search event, where the dogs work a field to point planted chukar, Fritz gave us all a surprise. He discovered an unsuspected (by the judges) bird that was planted the previous day. It flushed when the shooter fired a blank, and Fritz then followed retrieving the live chuckar. On his last bird, he held point until I came up to restrain and praise him for holding. An additional reward was having the judge pick the chuckar up and let him give it a good sniff.

Next step may be the NAVHDA Utility Test that goes well beyond natural ability.

I'm pretty pleased with the 'Wonder Dog'!!!

I am haunted by waters

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:35 AM

What a Wonder Dog, Mr. Sage! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users