• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 gaylon

gaylon

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationBoulder Creek

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:28 AM

Here is what I used for parts, a few pics.  I didn't take pics of the work, though.

Valve:

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Flange:

http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

you will need sealant, I used Gorilla non-hardening clear.

Pics.

This was not my idea - borrowed from a fine fellow at the FWC rally.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0200.JPG
  • IMG_0202.JPG
  • IMG_0203.JPG
  • IMG_0206.JPG

Edited by gaylon, 02 May 2017 - 04:17 AM.

2015 Hawk on a 2016 Tundra TRD Pro

#2 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:29 AM

Thanks!!!!! If we ever cross paths I will gladly buy you a cold beverage. I had resigned my self to changing it out every 2 years with the the plastic one.

FWC if you listening time for an upgrade.  :)  :D

Edited by Ramblinman, 02 May 2017 - 05:29 AM.

#3 flinchlock

flinchlock

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • LocationKalamazoo, MI

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:46 AM

http://www.wanderthe...e-2#entry169997

'08 ATC Cougar (built 06/16/08)
# of nights in camper: '08=15, '12=21,'13=16, '14=10, '15=52, '16=11, '17=20 (equals 145)

#4 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:55 AM

OK, so may I assume this is an item that breaks regularly? Guess I will order the parts and have handy if / when needed.

I use mine a lot. I actually use it to fill my dogs water bowl while outside camper and when traveling at rest stops.

Edited by XJINTX, 02 May 2017 - 11:58 AM.

#5 gaylon

gaylon

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationBoulder Creek

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:58 PM

I an not sure that I would say that this fails often, but it doesn't flow well even new and I wanted something to which I could firmly attach a hose.

#6 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:14 PM

I an not sure that I would say that this fails often, but it doesn't flow well even new and I wanted something to which I could firmly attach a hose.

This sounds reasonable...attachment of a hose...we just use this drain spigot to drain the system, not as a water source...but if used as a water source a hose would be good..

Question:  Will installing the nifty set-up shown by 'Gaylon' be adequately supported in the internal plastic plumbing to prevent cracking that inside plastic from the weight of the new fixture or if a hose is attached to it?  Hopefully the plate is supportive enough.

For those, and I think very few, that have damaged the FWC spigot this seems to be a great fix....but for the rest of us, perhaps an answer to a question not yet asked...

Thanks Gaylon for the photos and sources.

Phil

#7 gaylon

gaylon

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationBoulder Creek

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:45 PM

The inside tubing on mine is PEX or equivalent. No risk there. Flange is screwed into aluminum plate or framing.

#8 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:51 PM

The inside tubing on mine is PEX or equivalent. No risk there. Flange is screwed into aluminum plate or framing.

Thanks...hitting a substantial surface when screwing in the supportive plate is critical..in the past FWC owners have had problems knowing where the frame members are located under the external skin; often finding solid attachment points has been a crap shoot...hopefully, the existing FWC spigots were attached to the framing which could support the new spigot.

Do appreciate your write up and photos...thanks again.

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 02 May 2017 - 02:51 PM.

#9 esimmers

esimmers

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:57 PM

My solution to the cheap broken plastic drain valve is similar to Gaylon's. I bought the same flange he did on eBay <http://www.ebay.com/itm/181845510888>. It's pricey but well made and the mounting holes are the same as the old valve. When I unscrewed the old valve from the back camper wall I was able to pull out enough of the plastic drain hose to clamp with my little Vise Grips and then install  the new flange.

I did get the petcock valve as recommended (see pictures) but have found I like the brass plug better. No worry about breaking it off and water flows out faster than with the petcock. I don't drain the tank often so all in all I like the new setup.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9264.jpg
  • IMG_9266.jpg
  • IMG_9268.jpg
  • IMG_9270.jpg

#10 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:53 PM

I'm similar to XJINTX.  I use mine regularly to fill water bottles etc.  It's convenient.

I'm aware that this is component that breaks rather easily if used frequently.

I can see that the plastic is a little fatigued.  It's a lighter white collar in the stress points.  I've been careful to try to turn it from the middle, as to not put as much torque on the "handle" portion.

So far it has served us well for 4 years with regular use.  We are still using the original factory unit.

Thank for the links to the good stuff.  I really like gaylon's setup.

Strong and great for filling bottles etc.

I may go that route when it breaks.  I haven't priced out the factory option.  If it's cheap enough I may just replace it with plastic and plan to do so every few years.

Edited by Bill D, 03 May 2017 - 11:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users