• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 RockCod

RockCod

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:59 AM

Hello all, can anyone suggest a good single burner that runs on Coleman type canisters ? I'm thinking outside use with a Can Cooker or 9 inch non stick skillet. Maybe teapot use.

Thanks much.

2018 FX4 3.5 V6 Supercrew HDPP.        ATC Ocelot . DELIVERED !!! 25April17.  such a fine unit it is !

Rock.....

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:54 AM

We like the Coleman Powerpack stove. https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B00GVKTZL8

We use this one outside rather than the camper cooktop. Accommodates large pots pans and simple to use. Have used it with the Coleman folding oven, our 10" aluminum Dutch oven, & various smaller pots including the teapot.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:35 AM

I use a 2 burner Camp Chef Everest stove. I know it's not a single burner, but what's important is btu output. If you're at higher altitudes or very cold temps, it makes a huge difference in how long it takes to boil water or heating up pre-cooked foods that you've just thawed out. I wouldn't want anything less than 20K BTU. 

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#4 RockCod

RockCod

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:41 PM

Thanks Paul, good that it's a stable platform and might just go for that... can't go to wrong with this.
Ronin
I have that exact Camp Chef stove, but want to step down in size, and agree that BTU 's are a factor. My Everest will be sold to a friend, it's near new. http://www.cancooker...i-fuel-cooktop/ ... this seems a bit pricey for the btu's.

I found a Gas one that has a 12,000 BTU burner, https://www.gasoneus.com, looks like its butane only.

Using propane just simplifies things, but if the burn time is adequate, maybe.

Ideally 10 to 12 k btu's / single burner / with propane portable bottles, the goal is

https://www.amazon.c...=A3HWXFGTSDGMD5

Not sure how long the portable bottles burn, but outdoor slow cooking or water boiling is the primary use.

The Seth M single burner is 10,000 BTU on propane/ 12,000 on butane, I just spoke to mrs.can cooker, I think, she tells me the butane has a longer burn time.

Edited by Rockcod, 03 May 2017 - 04:53 PM.

2018 FX4 3.5 V6 Supercrew HDPP.        ATC Ocelot . DELIVERED !!! 25April17.  such a fine unit it is !

Rock.....

#5 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:11 PM

I like using a 5lb propane tank. Holds 5 times the disposable 1lb bottles. My local propane supplier fills my tanks for about $1.25 gal on average. It always bothered me that the 1lb bottles can't be recycled so I bit the bullet and spent $50 bucks for a 5 lb tank plus another $7 for the adapter. On the other hand they do take up more space which is always an issue. I know some people use two 5lb cylinders in their FWCs anyway. One for the camper and one for a backup and/or for cooking outside which is my personal preference. Good luck on your search!!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#6 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:36 AM

I have one of these: https://www.amazon.c...le burner stove

I made a base for it so it doesn't have to sit on top of the bottle. The base has the correct fittings for the stove to thread onto, and for an extension hose to attach to on the side. That way I can connect it to a disposable bottle or to a bbq tank with the right adapter fitting.

Pay attention to the BTU ratings, I'm finding those to be really important to how fast things can be heated. Unfortunately there is no rating for how well the valve modulates the flame. I can say that the stove linked above turns down reasonably low, but isn't the most ideal if you want a barely there flame.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#7 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:41 AM

--snip--
Unfortunately there is no rating for how well the valve modulates the flame. I can say that the stove linked above turns down reasonably low, but isn't the most ideal if you want a barely there flame.

The Powerpack I referenced is tough to get the just barely there flame also in bright light. Tough to see the flame and I would like more valve movement with low flame. That said, after using it for a couple of years, I no longer burn the eggs like I did at first. Gotta keep the wife happy with eggs like she wants. :)

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#8 RockCod

RockCod

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:24 PM

Thanks for the tips and insights on this. It doesn't seem like there is much demand for a propane fueled single burner, most need compact or family. One of options above will suit my needs, I don't eat much bacon, love it, just don't ,plus I probably won't be frying up any robust meats or sauces inside my camper. The can cooker is very appealing, and the low slung Coleman should do the deed.

Rock.....

#9 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:55 PM

20160916_192715_resized.jpg 20161203_113910_1486053823960_resized.jpg

I like the Coleman single burner and carry 2 of them along with a 22" Partner aluminum 2 burner stove. I use one on my Discado style cooker that I made and also have my swing away table modified so the single burner drops down into it, much more stable that way. The single burner is handy for when you're just wanting to make coffee. Can sit it on the ground also to keep bacon frying mess off of everything.  Ron

#10 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:57 PM

20160916_181200_resized.jpg 20170413_183123_resized.jpg

A couple more pics. One shows the under shelf bracket that I made to hold and store them. Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users