121 replies to this topic

#1 Santiam Camper

Santiam Camper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationCorvallis, Oregon

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:40 PM

I will be using my new Fleet on my Nissan Frontier for long road trips and some backcountry driving and I am concerned about carrying some extra fuel.

Those of you that carry extra fuel cans, how do you do it?  I've seen some pictures of can carriers mounted on either side of the door.  How do you find the studs for mounting them?

Thanks

Mike

Mike Madden

2017 Nissan Frontier

2017 Fleet

#2 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 04 May 2017 - 09:03 PM

I have mine mounted on a swing away CBI bumper. Just reconfigured it, I did have one can but went back to two. Ron

20170504_155929_resized.jpg

#3 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:11 PM

Did you have FWC weld into the back of the camper the extra metal to mount a gas can back there?

Like this... on Ski3pins ATC Bobcat build...

gallery_1902_710_118268.jpg

Without that I don't think many guys would say to mount it to the frame. The regular frame just can't handle the weight and motion.

Except that some guys have mounted to the jack brackets, much stronger in that location. Search the forum for that mounting location.

Edited by Alley-Kat, 04 May 2017 - 10:13 PM.

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:13 PM

Don't use studs. Mine connected to the jack mounts and underneath where the two bars are bolted through the underside of the camper (inside the sink compartment on mine) and to the can carrier. No through bolts through the siding and into whatever (yes, it would be hard to hit the stud in the center). 

842_zpszkvqxtq0.jpg

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,568 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:26 PM

Mike, another voice saying make sure you have something secure and sturdy to mount your fuel cans on. I'd start by talking to FWC or American RV to see if they can give you any advice about the back wall frame. We use Rotopax 3 gallon gas cans and a 2 gallon water can. Our Bobcat has the same framing that Ski3pin has. If you don't have the internal framing, then do something like Ron or Craig.

I am haunted by waters

#6 Yukon

Yukon

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationEdmonds WA

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:48 PM

I also have Nissan Frontier.  I use the swing out bumper attachment (see photo) method.  Gas cans are HEAVY.   I do welding as hobby.  I bought a Jeep spare tire type bumper.  Cut off the spare tire portion and built a steel box with hinged top and lock.  I can put gas can in there, or snow shoes, etc.  It's GREAT and I use it all of the time.  I can hang a bike on it, and I have a shovel for make-shift toilets.  I have never yet needed spare gas, but it was close only in the northern parts of Canada (Yukon). 

Attached Thumbnails

• bumper.jpg

Yukon (aka Chris) Photo: Treking frozen tundra above Arctic Circle 2008 Eagle and 2008 Nissan Frontier (Northwest WA)

#7 Ramblinman

Ramblinman

• Members
  • 506 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 05 May 2017 - 01:46 AM

I used an aluminum plate on the bottom (under the fridge) with support of the jack bracket. If you PM me your email I can send you some photos. AT Gas Can Holder/Bracket

#8 dharte

dharte

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:51 AM

I used a 1/4" aluminum plate which I cut in a parallelogram shape to fit between the jack mount (2 bolts) and the upper bolt on the lower wall step (got a longer bolt). Plenty strong for a Smitty 5 gallon Can holder and can. I also added a nice bottle opener to the plate! In addition, I carry two 2 gallon Rotopax containers-one mounted on the back of my Aluminess Galley box and one inside it. I have a diesel truck and have found myself more than once scrambling to find fuel, so the extra 9 gallons gives me piece of mind.

#9 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:00 AM

I haven't looked, but is it possible to put a bigger tank or an auxiliary under the truck? That would be my choice and exactly what I am doing to my Toyota pickup.

cwd

CWDT

#10 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:52 PM

I have my gas can on my swing arm like nikonron. I used to store a 5gal poly tank under the rollover couch before I had my bumper made. I hated doing it and would dump the gas into my tank as soon as I could after hitting the back roads. 

Attached Thumbnails

• gas - 1.jpg

Edited by Ronin, 05 May 2017 - 04:01 PM.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users