• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#21 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:42 AM

When I carry extra fuel it is in a non carb motocross racing jug (5gal) and store it inside the camper. I watch my scanguage so I know when 5 gallons has been used up then I fill up the truck. That way I don't have the fuel stored inside the camper longer than necessary. Once in a while I get a small bit that comes out of the vent cap. That either happens due to altitude changes and/or rough roads. When it does happen it isn't much and the smell doesn't last.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#22 Kinsey

Kinsey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationVancouver, WA.

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:43 PM

Roto Pax with a mounting bracket on the jack plate. Very strong.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0003 (2).JPG

#23 Kinsey

Kinsey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationVancouver, WA.

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:46 PM

Another angle

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0002 (2).JPG

#24 Josh41

Josh41

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:13 PM

Kinsey, 

Could you post a picture of just the mount?  Curios what you attached to.  

Fuel: In Massachusetts, you can't carry extra fuel (at least for a boat) in a fuel can on a ferry.  I was told only fuel that is connected to the engine is allowed, no extra.  Wonder if all ferries have this rule and if it includes our types of rigs.  

Nissan Frontier 2016 CC LWB, 2" lift, tires, airbags and other stuff

FWC Fleet 

Summers Off

#25 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:52 PM

On the Alaska Marine Highway, full fuel cans need to be removed from the vehicle and stored in the flammables locker.    

I have two 3 gallon rotopax mounted under my flatbed.   I have to say I have not been so impressed with the rotopax - they tend to swell in the sun, which makes it almost impossible to unscrew the mount in the heat of the day.   Mine are less than a year old, and already the lock mechanism is starting to seize, presumably from corrosion.    I am pretty sure than one of these days I wont' be able to unlock the lock and get the the fuel, which kind of defeats the purpose of carrying extra fuel with a locking mount. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#26 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 10 May 2017 - 07:54 PM

Aluminess Bumper, Ronin?

Bumper was fab'd by a friend of mine in Grass Valley.

Re: question about carrying fuel cans in Ca. I don't know if it's illegal or not but I've never been stopped for it. The majority of jeeps and FJ's I see all seem to have jerry cans on them. Most 4WD shops sell gas can holders and I believe ATC and FWC will spec them in on new builds so it doesn't seem to be an issue.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#27 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 11 May 2017 - 01:13 PM

I'd sure like one of those people out there (not those here) posting that it is illegal to also post the DMV Section number. That it could be in this state would not surprise me, but that it actually is remains conjecture or rumor. It would also not surprise me to learn that the root of this is someone with a bias against and purposefully started that rumor to dissuade people from doing so.

In the mean time I'll continue to use my jerry cans that lack CARB's useless nozzle, but that actually SEAL so their point is moot. As it happens the gap between our camper and the front bed bulkhead is a perfect fit for these cans. I can just set them in there and have yet to see them move much no matter how rough the road. When I loose that gap due to going to an 8' camper I'll buy or build something to carry them perhaps similar to the AT holder, though with a 60 gal main that won't be all that often.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#28 gaylon

gaylon

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationBoulder Creek

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:57 AM

Bumper was fab'd by a friend of mine in Grass Valley.

Re: question about carrying fuel cans in Ca. I don't know if it's illegal or not but I've never been stopped for it. The majority of jeeps and FJ's I see all seem to have jerry cans on them. Most 4WD shops sell gas can holders and I believe ATC and FWC will spec them in on new builds so it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Would he be interested in fabbing another?  No one makes a swing out rear for my 2016 tundra...

2015 Hawk on a 2016 Tundra TRD Pro

#29 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:05 AM

I'm sure this couple must be on here but I'd not seen this way of mounting a jerry can, very similar to the Roto Pax above. Go to the 3:55 mark and the description will begin. I may just have to do this.

Edited by ETAV8R, 16 May 2017 - 07:12 AM.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#30 malimish

malimish

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:15 PM

I'm sure this couple must be on here but I'd not seen this way of mounting a jerry can, very similar to the Roto Pax above. Go to the 3:55 mark and the description will begin. I may just have to do this.

Thanks for sharing my video. Let me know if you need any help putting one together. It's pretty straight forward. So far we've had it for 18 months and still solid as a rock.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users