• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:17 PM

Nice to be able to have a person right there to watch with the new trailer .... having been backing up many years of my life with a wagon behind the tractor (I love my suicide steering knob)... it becomes natural..... I have seen folks new to the concept ...get out of the truck put the trailer hitch wheel down and take off the truck...then move the trailer by grunting it around and then move truck and re-hitch.

What can you say?.... it works but practice before a trip in a school parking lot on Sunday pays off more. To each hi/her own. 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#22 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:37 PM

Well my neighbor plunked down his money on the Base Camp.

It's going to be interesting to see how he likes it and also how he snakes it down his driveway.

He may get in about a month.

Frank

Keep us posted! It will be good to have some more feedback.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#23 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:02 PM

Keep us posted! It will be good to have some more feedback.

The interesting thing about my neighbors that they didn't try "camping" in a trailer before buying the Basecamp.

They figure that it it doesn't fit their use they can get most of their money back.

They aren't actually "campers" oh well to each their own.

I hope they have fun that's all.

I suggested they have a front receiver installed on their tow car.

I'll keep all posted.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#24 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:12 PM

Nice to be able to have a person right there to watch with the new trailer .... having been backing up many years of my life with a wagon behind the tractor (I love my suicide steering knob)... it becomes natural..... I have seen folks new to the concept ...get out of the truck put the trailer hitch wheel down and take off the truck...then move the trailer by grunting it around and then move truck and re-hitch.

What can you say?.... it works but practice before a trip in a school parking lot on Sunday pays off more. To each hi/her own. 

This is why it can be so enjoyable to bring a lawn chair to the boat ramp on Springtime weekends: to watch the newbies back their trailers for the first time--those who did not adopt your excellent suggestion to practice first.

I taught our sons to back trailers the same way my father taught me--first on the garden tractor with the small utility trailer (same tractor and trailer, actually), then in the Suburban or pickup and the boat on its trailer in the empty high school parking lot.  The four inviolable rules are---no backing speed is too slow, keep hour hands on the 4 and 8 o'clock positions on the bottom half of the steering wheel at all times, use only the mirrors to see where you are going (NO LOOKING OVER THE SHOULDER, SON!), and steer the trailer in the direction you wish to go by shuffling the steering wheel from one hand to the other without the hands leaving the 4 and 8 o'clock positions, with the direction of the shuffling being the direction you want the trailer to turn.  

In other words, for the trailer to turn to the passenger side of the truck, shuffle the wheel from your left hand to your right.  

Modern outside mirrors can be adjusted from the driver's seat, a distinct improvement and reason to aggressively assert the NO LOOKING OVER THE SHOULDER, SON! rule.

"Son, if I catch you looking over your shoulder, this lesson ends at that moment, and you won't be taking your friends to the lake in our boat this summer".  

Worked like a charm. Our younger son is a commercial construction superintendent and he regularly hops into a rig totally strange to him and puts its trailer wherever it needs to go on a cluttered jobsite, often to the chagrin of the guy whose job it actually is to get it there. "How did you do that?"  "Taught the right way".  

Foy

#25 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 11 May 2017 - 10:24 PM

I don't want to tow any sort of trailer where I go. Too much trouble when in the back country by myself with no spotter.  Ron

#26 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:03 AM

Frank ... front receiver hitch is absolutely the way to go....especially for folks with a tight fit in a spot for the trailer.

That will be the next mod on my new truck ...already have it picked out... next years money...

I am still trying to find a beat up old 4x6 trailer for the camper.... nothing in these parts 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#27 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:34 AM

Frank ... front receiver hitch is absolutely the way to go....especially for folks with a tight fit in a spot for the trailer.
<snip>

A cautionary tale, or is this one for the Bone Head Thread... Be cautious when pushing a large trailer, like say a 25' Airstream, as it's hard to see around them when making a tight turn in a confined space. With our first Airstream,I caught the rock guard on our driveway fence and put a big tear in the skin, and it cost me a $500 deductable. Total cost was just under $900. We have a tight 90° turn to get into the drive, and I couldn't see that side of the trailer.

I am haunted by waters

#28 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 04:04 AM

The builder of the camping trailer is right: when you build it for yourself, you get the most satisfaction. I just finished my rebuild of a 17 foot Airstream and took it for the maiden run (otherwise known as "I hope it all works"). Very satisfying to see that what you built actually does the job. About 2400 pounds dry so a bit lighter than the Basecamp. About 50 years older, too.

Attached File  FrontDinetteSM.jpg   109.39K   40 downloads

Attached File  GalleySM.jpg   115.31K   41 downloads

and original condition:

Attached File  InteriorRearOrig.jpg   68.21K   41 downloads

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#29 thisoldcamper

thisoldcamper

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationIrmo, SC

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:39 AM

This may be the Basecamp's inspiration, the 1935 Airstream Torpedo - home built from mail-order plans.

torpedo1jpg.jpg

#30 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 20 May 2017 - 01:54 PM

That is so cool, thanks for posting this!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users