8 replies to this topic

#1 rau

rau

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:25 PM

Hello everyone,

We're actively looking for a used slide-in camper for our new 2017 long bed, double cab Tacoma 4x4.

Here's the truck bed measurement:

42" width between wheels

7'8" length with tail gate down

42" cabover height

Ideal weight of the camper: 1000 lbs or less

Also, considering that it's a small truck, we're asking for suggestions for brands and models that we should be looking for. As far as we know the following camper would be ideal:

Four Wheel Camper: Eagle, Swift and Fleet

Palomino Bronco 600

Viking (not sure the model)

Other than that, we don't really know what else to look for. Very few people list their item with enough description and most of them doesn't know that much when asked. We see the following brands but we don't know if they are ideal for our truck:

Skamper 100s

Jayco

Sun Lite

Starcraft

Coachmen

Tracker

Apache

We're also watching this thread:

http://www.wanderthe...thread/page-270

Suggestions are much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:23 PM

Look for an ATC Bobcat shell. It's light, 7 feet long, under 1000# and as many will testify... "Built to Survive".

https://www.allterra...pers.com/Bobcat

I am haunted by waters

#3 Josh41

Josh41

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:45 PM

I had a Bronco 600 in a Nissan Frontier long bed, it was pretty heavy (1000# empty), and the cabover was low, I had to raise the camper about 4 inches to clear the cab which gave me a high COG.  I sold it last month and just got a FWC Fleet.  The fleet is so much lighter as I bought a shell, but I can see that a lot of the FWC weight is much lower, the B600 has a heavy roof with a heavy lifting system. I know they are more expensive and hard to find, but in my opinion the FWC is a much better made camper.  I haven't seen an ATC but from what I read and see on the forums, they seem to be similar to the FWC.  

It goes without saying that you will need to beef up your suspension to handle the weight, not a bad idea to add E rated tires too.  My rear axle is coming in at around 3000# unloaded, the front is unchanged, loaded or empty.

If you do decide on a FWC or ATC, the used ones go incredibly fast!!!  So get yourself ready.

Good luck, if you haven't had one before, they open up a whole new world of exploring.

Josh

Nissan Frontier 2016 CC LWB, 2" lift, tires, airbags and other stuff

FWC Fleet 

Summers Off

#4 rau

rau

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 06:57 PM

Look for an ATC Bobcat shell. Its light, 7 feet long, under 1000# and as many will testify... "Built to Survive".

Thank you! Will look into that!

I had a Bronco 600 in a Nissan Frontier long bed, it was pretty heavy (1000# empty), and the cabover was low, I had to raise the camper about 4 inches to clear the cab which gave me a high COG.  I sold it last month and just got a FWC Fleet.  The fleet is so much lighter as I bought a shell, but I can see that a lot of the FWC weight is much lower, the B600 has a heavy roof with a heavy lifting system. I know they are more expensive and hard to find, but in my opinion the FWC is a much better made camper.  I haven't seen an ATC but from what I read and see on the forums, they seem to be similar to the FWC.  

It goes without saying that you will need to beef up your suspension to handle the weight, not a bad idea to add E rated tires too.  My rear axle is coming in at around 3000# unloaded, the front is unchanged, loaded or empty.

If you do decide on a FWC or ATC, the used ones go incredibly fast!!!  So get yourself ready.

Good luck, if you haven't had one before, they open up a whole new world of exploring.

Josh

Thank you for sharing these info. You think just adding Timbrens would be ok as far as the suspension goes?

Edited by rau, 11 May 2017 - 07:07 PM.

#5 michgoblue

michgoblue

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:35 PM

I added Timbrens to my Ranger, which already had a tow package and beefier suspension, and that was not enough for a 1000LB camper - basically the rear end rode on the stops of the Timbrens all the time.  I ended up getting airbags and its a lot better ride with or without my camper (was a Four Seasons Magnum now a Phoenix).

I wouldn't spend the money on Timbrens if I were you - lots of people have Tacomas and have posted their suspension upgrades - I would heed that advice instead.

#6 Josh41

Josh41

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:56 PM

Thank you for sharing these info. You think just adding Timbrens would be ok as far as the suspension goes?

I had Timbrens for a while, they really did not cut it after a few days with all that weight, they just gets compressed.  I put air bags on and they make a huge difference, and you can adjust the load easily.  

Nissan Frontier 2016 CC LWB, 2" lift, tires, airbags and other stuff

FWC Fleet 

Summers Off

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 12 May 2017 - 02:42 AM

Look for an ATC Bobcat shell. It's light, 7 feet long, under 1000# and as many will testify... "Built to Survive".

<snip>

Let me expand a little on ATC... When you call the company, you're talking to either Jeff or Marty, they're the owners. When you want something custom, the answer is almost always "We can do that.". In the rare case you have an issue, there is a clear customer focus on getting it quickly fixed. If you want after delivery modifications, not a problem. Need a repair on a different brand camper, chances are they can do it.

I'm impressed with these folks.

I am haunted by waters

#8 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:53 PM

You might want to consider a Hallmark EXC.
http://www.hallmarkr...ark-expedition/

A little more expensive than some but worth it. You can see a picture of the camper on a taco on their site.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#9 windy

windy

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:33 PM

If you are still in the market I would give Rory a call at Bundutec. They have a few different options as well as building something totally custom. You will be (pleasantly) surprised with their pricing. I got a totally custom camper for my 2013 Tacoma for less money than a lot of used good condition campers. Mine weighs in at 950lbs wet.

I am also using a set of SuperSprings. Easy installation and they work really well but they do "squeak" a little bit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: truck camper, slide-in camper, pop-up camper, long bed Tacoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users