172 replies to this topic

#131 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 08 March 2018 - 06:49 PM

I miss the time when I really did respect our leadership regardless of party.

On of my favorites along with TJ.

What they did for the natural part of our country was fantastic.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#132 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:49 AM

I think we are going to pay homage to TR this summer- been a while since we visited his namesake national park. Good to reflect on the great leaders we have had in the past, and may yet have in the future.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#133 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:12 PM

I think we are going to pay homage to TR this summer- been a while since we visited his namesake national park. Good to reflect on the great leaders we have had in the past, and may yet have in the future.

Admirers of TR, including yours truly, often view favorably his military service and that of his sons.  Quentin Rooseveldt was KIA in WWI while flying a fighter aircraft.  TR Jr was badly wounded in that conflict and was determined to be substantially disabled through the inter-war years.  TR Jr nonetheless formed a volunteer training corps and recruited many well-heeled contemporaries to join and train at their own expense.  When WWII broke out, TR Jr was able to talk his way into a commission to serve in the US Army infantry, despite his age of > 50 and despite the fact that his mobility was limited.  After rising to a general officer rank, he commanded infantry forces in North Africa in 1942-43, leading from the front.  Turned down twice on requests to land with his unit in the first wave at Utah Beach, his third request was granted.  At age 56, he became the oldest individual to land on D-Day and the only general officer to do so.  Upon realizing they'd been put ashore well away from their designated landing site, TR Jr famously said "We'll just have to start the war from here". He then stood out in the open directing traffic while under fire.  TR Jr died of a heart attack within weeks of the D-Day landing, in his tent, at the front of his unit's lines as they slowly advanced inland from the Normandy beaches.

As to TRNP, don't overlook the National Grasslands area between I-94 on the north and US 12 on the south.  "Old Highway 16" between Medora and Marmarth is a beautiful drive, graded gravel on a bentonite base, running N-S along the west side of the Little Missouri River, squeezed between it and the ND-MT line.  It passes by the base of Pretty Butte, where TR killed his first bison during his ranching days in ND.

Foy

#134 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 March 2018 - 12:39 AM

Thank you Foy...not only for the valuable info on best places but for the background of inspiring information about a real hero... living and breathing kind that gives thought as to what is important. Boots on the ground type of action... he was certainly all that and more. I have saved your info and will head that way hopefully soon. I miss the road.

Edited by buckland, 10 March 2018 - 12:43 AM.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#135 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 11 March 2018 - 12:29 AM

Foy, thanks for the story and the route tips.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#136 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 June 2018 - 10:40 AM

Another way to put in your two cents.

Attached Files

Henry David Thoreau

#137 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 25 June 2018 - 12:21 PM

Drums seem to be getting louder.....

As government plans Arctic refuge drilling, activists vow to continue protests
https://abcnews.go.c...ory?id=56094589

Henry David Thoreau

#138 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,051 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 August 2018 - 03:03 PM

This is another assault on one of the last places on earth we have that is not altered by man. We need to have these places even if we never go there ... it is a very important part of who we are and what we value.
https://act.nrdc.org...ampaign=leadgen

Henry David Thoreau

#139 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:58 PM

Do it now and hope for the best!  Although I hate to say it, he will probably ignore these  messages anyway as he did with those million or so messages against his proposed National Monument changes . He and his political appointees  continually ignore everyone and every thing but big oil and the other  extractive processes. Everyday they do some  visible things like AWAR and many more less seen things like rewriting certain rules and regs that can affect our environment   for years( like the new sage grouse rules). Remember, while we need to keep writing letters, attending meetings and sending emails and the such, it really seems as if our vote is the only thing that can really stop this sad one sided attack on our public land and its resources. November is not that far away!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 05 August 2018 - 07:08 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#140 wagoneer

wagoneer

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:59 PM

I go to Nevada a lot and the two on the list are great, but as you guys know we all find our little gems whilst exploring, keep vigilant especialy these days. Thanks

1995 Dodge Ram diesel 1976 CO 8 Ft. Alaskan Camper

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: National Monuments, Bears Ears, Utah, Nevada, Mojave Trails, Gold Butte

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users