172 replies to this topic

#31 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:20 PM

I agree with you guys and it is especially hard to "hope" he will do the right thing especially when you read that 23 of 27 of the political appointments he has made thus far at Interior are from the "exploiter" groups like timber and mining.  In addition, his elimination of the resource advisory councils  is also not a good sign.  Now that the next decisions will be made in court and not by political appointees still gives me some hope and as you say "time and wiser heads  will hopefully  prevail in the end".  (I still have a 30 plus year old poster of Jim Watt on my living room wall to remind me that this fight never ends).

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#32 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:49 PM

Like Wandering Sagebrush I do trail work on the PCT every year and wrote my letter voicing my concerns about shrinking Cascade Siskiyou and a few other NMs that the trail passes through. It's a constant battle to keep privately held lands away from developers, timber,mining,and energy companies who couldn't care less if our National Scenic Trails are cutup into pieces. In response to the Utah legislators assault on our NMs, the Outdoor Retailers are moving their summer and winter trade shows to Denver next year. That's 1100 exhibitors and over 20,000 attendees per show who won't be spending their money in Utah. That's taking a stand for what they believe in!

For the first time, in 2016 the outdoor recreation economy was included in the country's GDP, accounting for over $600 billion in consumer spending and over 6 million jobs. You'd think that the Utah legislators would understand those economics. Who are they really beholden to?

Maybe I'm a dreamer, but I'll keep writing my letters hoping that it'll make a difference!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#33 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:42 PM

Me too---but the sec disappointed us again, those leaked recommendations to the White House: like allowing fishing again in those places that were closed because of over fishing! Drill mine, build roads, race ATV's- yep, to hell with the environment. Lot's to dislike here, but I think they will help them  to achieve their aim-confussion!. While all this goes to court ,management will become a problem, and the status quo will lead to the probable negative impacts to those resources that were supposed to be protected by NM status. Money and people will go to defending the proposed changes and not management.  New plans aside, just think about the impact this will do to those older NM's that have been following a set of regulations or guidelines for years--and now they don't have a clue what to do next. While the cat is away, the mice will play! 

I remember when the Raygun came in in 1980 and he and Watt also tried  to graze, cut down every tree or drill or sell off  all the best public lands.  Almost all our resources were diverted to those programs and not to properly managing those resources while the battles went on in court. One of their  best gigs was to reduce the amount of gas for field rigs so that we could not even go out and do our jobs. Little things like that and replacing civil service positions (or not as these people seem to be doing) with either political appointees or private contractors; changing a word here and there in existing regs---things like that can real mess things up! Let the fun begun!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 19 September 2017 - 05:18 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#34 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:58 PM

I was holding out some hope that maybe it would be some minor boundary adjustments and such. Didn't actually think it would be this bad :(

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#35 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:10 PM

Craig I'm so demoralized by this and a whole lot more goings on.... things are coming apart at the seams. Can't say political stuff so know there are folks trying to "build a wall" to stop them on the legal front. It is in the courts (thank heaven for our branches of Govt. that offers some checks and balances) that this will eventually slugfest out. In the "mean-time" one must be stalwartly involved with defending our natural heritage ....once gone...exactly what are we?

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#36 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:29 PM

Interesting article on Zinke's final report on NMs. I don't know anything about the Center for Western Priorities and how credible they are - just passing this on.

https://yubanet.com/...numents-report/

#37 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 September 2017 - 03:48 PM

That is interesting but sadly not surprising. Doubt if the 'alternative facts' would make a difference in a pre-ordained outcome. 

Henry David Thoreau

#38 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 October 2017 - 05:42 PM

Knowledge is power it is said. This is a list of environmentally what has been changed in the last 8 months .... some might say this is for the best for our future Americans.... some might say it is not. The light of day and time will tell.

https://www.nytimes....ersed.html?_r=0

Henry David Thoreau

#39 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:24 PM

Seems like this administration just wants to go back to the old ways to make us great again. A noble cause but his vision preserves jobs in old industries instead of creating jobs in new technologies and innovations which would maintain our status as world leaders. Sorry if I'm offending some folks sensibilities but It really just makes me sad.

#40 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,053 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 28 October 2017 - 11:56 AM

I'm sure it is now a fait accompli........ http://www.cnn.com/2...utah/index.html

.......makes me think of throwing the money changers out of the temple.

Henry David Thoreau

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: National Monuments, Bears Ears, Utah, Nevada, Mojave Trails, Gold Butte

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users