• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#11 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,075 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:33 AM

Thanks for all the encouragement. Today I hooked up the Brophy steps ...wow that was a help as the camper sits up higher than on the old Tacoma....and I am getting a bit older.  Also attached the Max Trax mats to the back wall... out of the way. The only thing to do (I have all the plastic cargo boxes ready in the garage) is to fix the Whale water pump ... third one and still leaks at the top... so I ordered a rebuild kit...that's it....I am done. I can say that the preparation and planning has been good, lots learned and confidence built. The support from folks from this site can take most of the credit as they sure were helpful. Now the hard part..... waiting a couple weeks for departure. 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#12 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:35 AM

It will pass like the blink of an eye and you will be on the road. Enjoy. Many are envious.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#13 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,075 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:52 AM

We found these two books VERY helpful...

The MILEPOST (our main go to book)

https://www.themilepost.com

and

Alaskan Camping by Mike & Terri Church

http://www.rollingho...com/authors.htm

In 2015, we did 52 nights in our '08 ATC Cougar.  The round trip from Kalamazoo, MI was 11,555 miles.

Here in Michigan (and probably the entire USA), our local micro-breweries also have food.

In Whitefish, Yukon, at Yukon Brewing, it is just a beer store, only buy beer, a big disappointment to us.  Maybe all of CA is that way??

Mike

Mike thanks for the links and from the sound of it I am following you in your footsteps. I estimated around 12,000+ miles too. 

Henry David Thoreau

#14 robbie

robbie

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:18 AM

Point the truck north west and head out
Weather has been real good in the north.
I am in whitehorse tonight at the wolf creek campground. There is always some road construction going on.
Between watson lake and whitrhorse only one section where we had to follow a pilot car.
On construction sections turn off your yukon air conditioning.
Have a great drive
Robbie

#15 CALIcamperdad

CALIcamperdad

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:35 AM

All my sailboat cruising friends agree. There will always be something trying to keep you tied to the dock. At some point you just kick the dock lines off and gošŸ˜. The water pump in my 28ft sailboat is 1985 original still works though I probably just jinxed my self. Hit the road Buck...

#16 Mitchellfried

Mitchellfried

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:44 AM

Looking forward to your report. I'm heading out on Alaskan - Yukon trip from the Okanagan on July 3rd

#17 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,075 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:24 AM

Thanks Michael, Ya This time tomorrow I will be on the road... bummer the weather starts off with heavy rain but so it goes. Won't be the last for sure. Here is something that may seem small, and it is, but sometimes its the small things that do the trick. I found over the last year that after awhile I was not comfortable, kept trying to find the right position to sit and steer... having been a stick shift driver for 45 years and now my first automatic...old muscle memory. It was my left arm... the window sill was too high and the 'arm rest too low. 

So I made a hard foam mold to fit the door handle and voila .... it makes a huge difference in comfort....who would have thought. I guess they will think it quaint in a few years when self driving cars are the norm. 

In my youth I wandered South America...just a big map in the backpack...no cell phone ..heck no phones at all...no internet directions. One felt out in the world on your own. Hope to get a bit of that back in the Yukon.  

Maybe we'll cross paths out there somewhere...safe travels. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Armrest.JPG

Edited by buckland, 15 June 2017 - 10:40 AM.

Henry David Thoreau

#18 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,282 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:10 PM

Thanks Michael, Ya This time tomorrow I will be on the road... bummer the weather starts off with heavy rain but so it goes. Won't be the last for sure. Here is something that may seem small, and it is, but sometimes its the small things that do the trick. I found over the last year that after awhile I was not comfortable, kept trying to find the right position to sit and steer... having been a stick shift driver for 45 years and now my first automatic...old muscle memory. It was my left arm... the window sill was too high and the 'arm rest too low. 

So I made a hard foam mold to fit the door handle and voila .... it makes a huge difference in comfort....who would have thought. I guess they will think it quaint in a few years when self driving cars are the norm. 

In my youth I wandered South America...just a big map in the backpack...no cell phone ..heck no phones at all...no internet directions. One felt out in the world on your own. Hope to get a bit of that back in the Yukon.  

Maybe we'll cross paths out there somewhere...safe travels. 

Yes Rob the time to "kick the tires,pull out the chocks" and head west is drawing close.

Have a great trip It will be fun to revisit our trip last year through yours.

Safe travels.

Frank

PS have a yummie pastry at Two Sisters in Homer for us.

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#19 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:52 PM

Buckland, safe travels. Have a great time. Lots of pictures. jd

Edited by longhorn1, 17 June 2017 - 12:05 PM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#20 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,075 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:19 PM

Thanks JD and Frank! I hit the road before 6AM this morning and the list of cities driven through is long but Buffalo and Cleveland are no longer on the "want to visit" list. I got my wish and did have a good mileage day of 660 miles in 12 hours. I type this is scenic Ohio I-90 Service plaza that has 12 parking spots for RV's to park for the night. Ear plugs and Eye covers a must for sleep. (after a beer).

I guess the best way to describe it is as penance before salvation....But I am psyched and safe after doing slab top battle. Truck did great but Pennsylvania needs to quit everything else and fix their roads... yikes. A friend sent the following photo... best describes this morning. My answer was: "Where's my helmet!?"  

Attached Thumbnails

• Monkey-go-cart.jpg

Henry David Thoreau

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Alaska, The Yukon, Chevy Colorado Duramax, Eagle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users