17 replies to this topic

#1 pbotz

pbotz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:36 PM

Hi All-

Been a long time lurker here but finally wanted to post, as I found a pop up that may suit my needs.  It is a 2006 FWC Grandby.  I see ads on CL all the time and kinda of have an idea of what the price range is but wanted to confer with the experts.  The camper has no known water damage and the roof and ceiling appear to be intact.  I have not seen this in person but I asked the seller to take pictures of the flaws...

It appears that the jacks have maybe at one point pulled off the camper a little and needed to be reinforced with caulk and extra screws, which does not look like it was fixed too well.  There is no hot water heater but the stove, furnace, refrigerator, fan, all are working.  There is solar panels up top that are a bit suspect, as the wire running from them comes right out of the ceiling (odd I know).  Obviously this is a 10 year old camper, and I know they are built to last, but still need to be cared for.  Upholstery, ceiling, carpet, all look good and are intact.  No rips or holes in canvas.  The seller is asking 8k.  Is that number too far off?  Obviously the smell and other senses one gets from actually stepping in the camper answer a lot, but from the look of the pictures is this a pretty fair price for the buyer and seller on this?  Any help of advice would be appreciated!  I will upload more photos but I am limited to 500K per post

Peter

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5578.jpg
  • IMG_5588.jpg
  • IMG_5589.jpg
  • IMG_5590.jpg
  • IMG_5582.jpg

#2 pbotz

pbotz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:45 PM

More Pictures....

I told the seller to take pictures of things that look not so good...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5583.jpg
  • IMG_5584.jpg
  • IMG_5579.jpg
  • IMG_5580 (1).jpg
  • IMG_5585.jpg
  • IMG_5591.jpg
  • IMG_5586.jpg
  • IMG_5587.jpg

#3 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:46 PM

From what I can see it looks to be a decent deal.  The big ticket items look good (headliner, vinyl/sides, upholstery).  The headline and side replacements are pretty big ticket items along w/ jacks.  No water heater?  I don't know many who use one; you can get a solar heater and shower outside if you need.  

That's a lot of screws on the jack brackets and sure why they'd add more screws unless they had an issue (?) but jacks and brackets are like $600 new.

The awning is another high ticket item.  

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#4 97grandby

97grandby

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:53 PM

Over all it looks to be in good condition. If you go and look at it in person pay attention the the lift panels and check to make sure everything working when you arrive. It looks like it was stored outside which depending on the location could or could not be a big deal. I would pay close attention the the jacks. My camper is 20 years old and never had any problems with the jack mounts and my camper before that was a 1987 and again, never had issues with the mounting plates. Could be they were left on when going of road or could be they never set the camper down on a base or the ground and the jacks have held up the weight of the camper the past 10 years.
The good thing about the camper is looks like it was fully optioned out, rear flood lights, awning, and other times inside the camper. New this camper would be well over double the asking price. The campers are built well and last a long time, but even better is how simple they are. Fixing them is as cheap as you can do in it the rv world if they do break. Good luck and look forward to having your join our "club"

"Overkill is under rated" 

my Grandby upgrades--http://www.wanderthe...-to-me-grandby/

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:04 PM

The only thing that catches my attention are the Jack mounts. They look like they've been resealed and/or had solvent in contact with the sealant. Look around the door and back edge for any evidence of leaking. I'd make a lower offer/reasonable and see if the seller accepts. The worst they could do is say no. If you're close to Sacramento, the ATC team would be a good source of ideas and repair.

I am haunted by waters

#6 pbotz

pbotz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:22 PM

Wow guys I just posted an hour ago and already 3 replies with great information!  Maybe I misspoke with the water heater remark, I thought that is something that is fairly common but I am mistaken.  The seller did state that there is an outdoor shower that comes with the camper.  

If I bought it I was going to take the camper jacks off, grind off the surface rust, and repaint with matching paint and a clear coat.  I was also going to get the caulk off the aluminum skin and do it right.  It seems that they just added screws onto the jacks until it was secure without much reasoning behind screwing into a structural portion under the skin....

The seller did say lifting the front does take some effort as there are two solar panels up front.  I can only imagine that it is secure once it is up.  I just am not sure how the solar was wired.  Having a wire coming out of the ceiling probably isn't the "right" way of doing it.  I have had several vehicles over the years and the one thing that I learned is that electrical issues can be the hardest things to diagnose... seems that people usually are the first to splice into that and start butchering things.  

I will get an assessment on the door and back edge.  I also will have the seller take a few pictures of the roof.  Ya I think it is a decent deal too and I don't mind paying close to asking, I just need to make sure that it is a safe bet.

Peter

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:33 PM

Add gas struts to help with the lift, and/or get a cranking speaker lift to assist from the inside. There are a couple of threads on the speaker lift.

I am haunted by waters

#8 pbotz

pbotz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:05 PM

Hi again guys

Understood on the helper struts. the only problem I am faced with is I need to put down a deposit on it sight unseen as it has garnered some interest. I think it is a real deal but obviously I am taking a BIG chance on it sight unseen. I have attached more photos of the underside and a picture of the roof which look good so far but please tell me if anything sticks out. Will let you guys know how it goes and thanks you for the help!!!!

Peter

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5381.JPG
  • IMG_5380.JPG
  • IMG_5379.JPG

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:13 PM

Peter, the oak panel in the right most photo appears to have water stains, which might account for the sealant mess around the Jack brackets. My 2¢ worth, if you can't see it in person, pass. It might be a good deal, but I want to see exactly what I'm buying. The photos aren't that scary, but... an in person inspection is the only way I would buy.

I am haunted by waters

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:03 AM

Peter, the oak panel in the right most photo appears to have water stains, which might account for the sealant mess around the Jack brackets. My 2¢ worth, if you can't see it in person, pass. It might be a good deal, but I want to see exactly what I'm buying. The photos aren't that scary, but... an in person inspection is the only way I would buy.

I am going to agree with Sagebrush. If it was me, I would not buy without inspecting it. It's obvious a few things have been modified.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grandby, 2006

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users