#1 cannuk

cannuk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:50 PM

Hey all,

Last time I filled my tank the guy at the uhaul warned me it would be the last time without getting it re certified. Living in the Bay Area I can't seem to find a place to do it. Also, since it's the horizontal tank setup I wonder if it is harder to recertify. Anybody around this area go through the process?

#2 rtpvibes

rtpvibes

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:05 PM

Not sure about California but I just did mine in ma they just check for leaks and last 5 years

#3 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:24 PM

I've heard that when the time comes some people just use one of the propane exchanges to get a new one for about $20 filled....

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#4 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:11 PM

I had one done this spring, cost $10 or something like that.  Tank needed to be empty or they were going to have to empty it.  I had my tank refilled a couple times while on a trip before getting the re-cert done and gas stations never questioned it or looked for a sticker but when I got home it was time for a visit to the local Ferrelgas which is close to work, left it overnight.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,291 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:15 PM

Thanks good to know.

Us with horizontal tanks can't exchange them so it would be good to have a Propane dealer in the area to check it.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:45 AM

I think propane distribution companies, can help to get tanks certified. I believe they are tested hydrostaticly and that's why they need to be emptied. Sometimes it's cheaper to replace vs recertification.
Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#7 rtpvibes

rtpvibes

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 01:27 AM

Not sure about California but I just did mine in ma they just check for leaks and last 5 years

cost me 10 instead of200 plus and I had one done 1 year ago

#8 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 22 June 2017 - 01:40 AM

The tank in my 2005 Hawk 'expires' this August, so I'll need to figure this out myself very soon.
In Oregon.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#9 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:25 PM

If you buy a new tank make sure it is brand new stock. There is a month and year stamp on the handle. I had the tank replaced on my first Hawk and later found out that the tank was 2 years old. It was a brand new tank as far as I could tell, but my propane company goes by the date stamp to determine if it can be re-filled or not.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#10 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:59 PM

This recent Propane tank certification thread may be helpful.   It starts out talking about the change in number of years until certification is required but then turns to re-certification.  The inspection is usually a visual one followed up by checking for leaks at tank fittings with a soapy solution.  Emptying the tank is not normally required.  Cost is typically $20 or less.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users