24 replies to this topic

#1 Bugle M In

Bugle M In

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:48 AM

Own a 2009 Alaskan since brand new.

Sadly, it has pitting and corrosion in the aluminum siding.

Much of it can be found along the lower panels below the large side windows, from front to

back.

Also on the top door and the back/rear panel itself

Some pitting go right thru the metal itself.

Had it in for repairs/replacement, and the folks down there were willing to help fix it etc.

But I fear this will be an ongoing problem

Possibilities may be that the windows are allowing water in behind the paneling?

Or poor quality of the aluminum paneling itself?

Although it does appear that water is a problem, getting in somehow.

I don't think the issue is just the windows causing this failure.

The back door was replaced, but upon removing the paneling on the old door, the wood inside

was completely rotten.

Never got to see just how bad the wood was behind the paneling on the sides of the camper however.

I fear that may also be the case?

And it appears my camper is not the only one having issues either!

There are several campers in there right now, with the exact same issues.....not pretty.

Owned an Alaskan new from 1976, purchased new, and never ever had any sort of issue like this with

the paneling.

Although the guys did try to replace the paneling, I no longer feel confident in advocating to anyone to buy a new camper.

Believe, there has always been tremendous interest in the camper over the years from fellow campers,

and have always given the camper "Excellent Reviews", and highly recommended them.

It does not appear to me that the proper steps have been taken to "Fully Correct" the problem,

and that by just "Reskinning" the camper, the issues is still present and will happen again.

This camper will not in anyway last 30+ years like the "Old One" did!

Just wanted to hear from others with similar issues, as it was obvious some out there are having the

same issues, I am fairly certain they must not be too happy either!

Not sure what is so different from the old version, in regards to the siding, and why the issues??

Yes, windows are different...so maybe...but the rear door should not have been affected!

Or, the material is of such poor quality now....???, but that would still not explain the water inside the

paneling!

Only other difference is that there is now  2 tone color strips installed along the length of the siding

for "appeal/styling" looks etc.....so maybe the water is getting in thru that while driving????

Honestly, since owning the camper, it sees no more than 21 days of use in a year...at most!

Otherwise it is stored inside a garage, which is apart of the house and fully enclosed etc.

Not exposed to the elements whatsoever when not in use, I assure you.

And it is cleaned very well before storage.

Sorry that this had to be my 1st post, but I fear this is not the last and only time this will be mentioned in

the future.

Anybody else with these issues...anyone with any found solutions, or at least knowing what is truly the

reason for these problems.

I know the guys at Alaskan aren't happy about the situation....but, I am not confident that a fix is on the

horizon (silicone here and there and everywhere is not a "long term" solution...IMO)

Nor is spending money on a camper, which aren't cheap, and knowing that it is going to be

"Worthless" in no time at all.

This camper is probably going to need some "heavy Gutting" to remove all the rot somewhere down the

road.

Which means, it will be up for sale real soon.....and I won't be getting another.

Not unless a solution can be found, and the camper brought back for a "Full and Proper Fix".

I am not holding my breath.

Just a heads up for potential future buyers to "be aware"....."buyer beware"!

And for owners with this issue to speak up and post.

Thank You BMI

#2 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • LocationSanta Rosa, Calif

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:13 PM

BMI....sorry for the nasty experience...I've often thought about the waterproofing success of vinyl window flashings.  I've seen several water intrusion issues which could be attributed to those seals....did Brian make any indication of what his opinion was?

New materials don't always predict an adequate solution.  That being said, some of the problems you are experiencing are common although a newer camper should not be affected as quickly.....it takes a bit of time for water intrusion to affect wood...indicating the intrusion may have been going on for some time.  Did anyone take photos, do any sort of forensics to determine source so a correction could be applied?  I'm surprised that a dry stored camper has suffered so badly.

I have three Alaskans right now, one is being salvaged..58', one is being used...70' and one is being remodeled/upgraded...73....all three have suffered from water intrusion of one sort or another....some very minor problems and some more substantial...but all repairable...after that long a period of use I would expect some "sealant failure".  the 58 suffered from structural issues in the top...not repairable

The failure of the siding has got me more concerned than anything else...especially with all the re-skinning" going on.  Maybe it's time to do some thickness testing and paint/coating testing.  My 70' has some pitting on the lower parts of the upper section...I attribute it to the amount of time I spend beach camping and salt intrusion....my sister and grandparents also did a serious beach camping (it runs in the family)...all in the same camper.  I haven't come up with a solution for the siding  failures yet but on the horizon I see siding replacement for pieces.

Silicon here and there isn't an appropriate fix for anything.... it can be used successfully in particular applications but the appliers experience is often the determining factor in its success.

Hopefully some of the conversations here may assist you in determining repair solutions, it doesn't sound like you're entirely happy with the camper or it's repairs at this point...maybe expressing that to Brian will bring further satisfaction....

Stick around a while...I'm sure this conversation will get more interesting as time goes on....and while you're reading this.....

Welcome to the site.....and thank you for your candor

any pictures?...

Edited by Rusty, 22 June 2017 - 04:18 PM.

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#3 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 June 2017 - 04:24 PM

Bugle,

Welcome to the group. I am interested in your plight as Alaskan is in the mix for my choice of camper.

I do not have any knowledge of the issues you are having but I believe Brian and the Alaskan team to be good people who care about their campers and their customers.

Pictures are always useful for diagnosing problems and the folks here are very knowlesgeable so I hope you can find help with resoving your problems and I am curious about what the causes could be.

Good luck :) I expect you will have offers for help :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#4 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 22 June 2017 - 06:03 PM

Hmmm....it would seem that from Day One that water intrusion below the windows was occurring. Enough to soak the wood to the point of failure. However, the pitting and holes in the siding should not occur unless the moisture was being held like a sponge in the insulation behind the siding. I assume this is happening on both sides? If it is just on the side the sink is on perhaps some leakage from the water supply is responsible for the moisture?

Alaskans are often viewed like old wooden boats are; the leak and require maintenance that if left alone will cause rot/failure and damage to the systems in them. However, like old wooden boats, they are beautiful if maintained properly. I mean, does anyone really think Formica and some kind of particle board or something has any esthetic charm to them? Fiberglass boats eliminated MUCH but not all the maintenance of wooden boats but you still need to be vigilant.

From 2009 to 2017 is eight years for moisture to rot out the wood....while keeping an AK garaged, it works two ways. On the one hand it stays dry, but on the other hand any moisture that has invaded the framing will be able to do damage unless the camper is in a heated garage or the interior has some method of being heated in the off season to kill/evaporate the moisture. It almost seems to me that if water has intruded out on a camping trip that leaving it out in the SUN to evaporate that moisture by rotating the camper would be advisable....still, that should not happen.

Another thing comes to mind here....the Pirelli seal....it is RIGHT below the place where you have moisture in the top section so if it was not sealing that could be a problem....another might have to do with driving where water would be thrown up from the wheels and sucked into that area as well. I know some guys drive with the front window just open a bit to allow the air pressure from forward movement to keep dust/dirt out of the insides and perhaps that would keep moisture thrown up from intruding into the siding.

The rear door design being two piece to allow up/down also allows air/moisture intrusion. Follow any camper/SUV coming down out of the mountains and see how much dirt and crud are on the REAR due to aerodynamics and you can see how moisture is delivered to the rear door if one drives in the rain or on really rainy/wet roads.

Lastly....there are many rotted out old '50s and '60s' AKs and many that are not....usually due to a combination of three things; maintenance, location, weather. Those seeking AKs that are not rotted look to the southwest primarily which tells me that the weather is the primary factor in allowing moisture to get in a rot the wood. Maintaining the Pirelli seals and the drip rails and such and weather stripping are also important. Location means not only if it was in a garage or tarped...but if it was in a place like Seattle where it rains so much and moisture is not likely to evaporate.

Finally, I can't comment on the "They don't make them like they used to!" theory....my only experience was with an 1960s AK and it wasn't in too bad a condition when I got it and when I sadly sold it and I live in Marin where is usually rains pretty good for about five months a year....and I was too stupid to tarp it in the "off season".

Most of all, your problem with pin-holes in the siding tells me that moisture has been hard at work all along as that I not a common problem voiced on the WTW as far as I know.

Maybe some others can chime in here and suggest why your 2009 has that much damage to it...with it being garaged and used very little.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#5 Ripperj

Ripperj

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:32 PM

Welcome, I would definitely like to see pictures. 2009 and stored indoors seems awful new to have that kind of issues. Mine was an '84 and the siding was fine apart from dents and faded paint. Mine was rotted from failed seals.

#6 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:03 PM

Is it possible that electrolysis is a contributing factor? Is the frame used as a neg. ground?

#7 Rdy2Roam

Rdy2Roam

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • Locationflorida

Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:29 AM

Interested in finding out more about this problem as I too was leaning towards purchasing a new Alaskan. Lot of money to spend too have that kind of problem.

#8 Willys Addict

Willys Addict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationParksville B.C.

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:21 AM

PackRat I believe has nailed the issue, I live on the West Coast and its considered a Tempred Rain Forest every camper fifth wheel I have owned even with the best of care has had rot from "moisture" I say moisture because some have come from being sealed to well and moisture from temperature differences and condensation have contributed as well as a bad leak. I can show you my 95 9' Angler that is now being junked and stripped out because the water seeped past the clearance lights and pooled (I paid $200). One of the things I do is install vents in the camper outside tin, I take small stainless marine vents and install them facing backwards under the overhang this provides a way for the camper to breathe. The back side of the sheet material I see alot, when rebuilding wash with vinegar to remove all the oxidization and if you want to fill them use Marine Tex or Devcon, or just spray on a sealer like the rustolium spray. the pitting is a result of continuous contact with moisture. and unless the covered storage can dry out the camper the moisture in it will stay as there is no circulation or warmth to Dry it out, I would have sealed the camper and pressurized with air to check for leaks then check to make sure  there is not an outside puncture unsealed light etc. and go from there, Alaskan makes many fine campers and I am sure their pride is hurt as well, just by volume and numbers this will happen as the odds catch up, what is important right now is the repair. Good luck I have been fixing rotten campers since the 80"s and you think I would have learned by now.

#9 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • LocationSanta Rosa, Calif

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:11 PM

All good points...Willys, I'd like to see one of those vent applications....

I've done a fair amount of construction defect management over the years and moisture intrusion is often the culprit....but water easily in doesn't evacuate so easily....those small vents placed properly could solve alot of problems.  It seems as if there would have to be a tremendous number of them to get the job done....maybe a stainless strip vent like soffit overhangs in stucco applications...along the entire side of the camper venting every bay...but lapped into the siding material to shed water like roofing.....OR...strategically placed venting built into the siding material.......or aluminum framing

Location, location, location....salt on roads, salt in beach air, electrolysis, acid rain...even direction of the camper while in storage will add to the issues.  I rotated storage of my 70'NCO this last year and ended up with a moisture problem I'd never had before...

fortunately for me...it's a 100 degrees plus right now and the fans are blowing inside the camper 24/7 

Where are you located BMI?

Edited by Rusty, 23 June 2017 - 01:13 PM.

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#10 Willys Addict

Willys Addict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationParksville B.C.

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:42 PM

I will try and get a picture of the vents for the cab overs, doing one for a friend soon as I gave him the last set of vents I had, I put them 3/4 the way back under the overhang, vent opening facing back and in about 10" so road and wet weather do no not affect it, I should mention the reason my NCO has aluminum front is there was nothing left to save from the original skin as it was pitted and rotted  so  bad. I used marine aluminum had it cut and bent to fit and left a 1/4 inch air gap on the bottom lip for moisture before the wood started.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users