10 replies to this topic

#1 franthony

franthony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:50 AM

Hey there everyone!  Proud owner of my first FWC so naturally I have found my way here. I picked up my new to me '88 Fleet a few weeks back and have it mounted in my '91 Toyota Pickup 22re. So far I love it despite its rough shape. I have pretty modest plans for the short term as I am currently living in it full-time, however I would love to eventually gut it to the frame and rebuild it to be completely self contained with solar, a wood stove, and of course the list goes on.  But alas, my situation limits the extent to which I can disassemble the camper so for now I will prioritize the necessities.

Pertinent issues I've identified so far include:

-Really sad canvas. Many of the seams are splitting and it is quite brittle in places. Not to mention the previous owner attempted to fix all the holes in it with rubberized spray paint... I plan to purchase either 18oz VCP or 10 oz tent canvas which I will sew windows into myself. 

-A couple leaks in the roof but nothing too crazy. Luckily Oregon is wicked dry at the moment. 

-I removed most of the electrical system and will be installing a simple 12VDC system that I will charge from the alternator and shore power until I can afford to add solar. Also will add a temporary inverter to run a sewing machine and any other tools I may need.

-The front lift panel is currently non-existent. The rear one is hurting pretty bad. I'm thinking I will build a conduit lift for the front and rebuild the rear panel since the hinges seem to be in fine shape. I'd also like to add some 40lb struts front and rear. Any input on this is appreciated as I do intend to add a roof box and solar and would like to be at least somewhat confident that this system is capable of handling that.  

-The previous owner kinda butchered the couch and the cabover is currently naked. Most nights I sleep with the top down so I plan to replace the foam with some decent quality stuff and rebuild the couch/bed and maybe add a seat at the front as I've seen in other FWCs. Its also in dire need of new curtains.

-The main cabinet/counter is in pretty poor shape and I'm surprised at how inefficient the use of space is with the current cabinet/interior setup. This will probably be rebuilt with something that better suits my needs. 

-Storage in general is an issue as I was able to fit quite a bit more in the truck when I had a basic canopy with a roof box and some simple shelving in the bed. I don't have much stuff, but most of it is currently in a storage unit which needs to go away.

-The rear door is a mess. I'm not entirely sure what happened but the window was removed and replaced with a wood frame and a piece of sheet metal. The locks need new cylinders or just new keys and the hinges are sagging badly. It is literally falling apart. I would love to find a new one but have not had any luck yet.

-Other small things to address include the water system which I may remove in favor of the simplicity of jugs, roof insulation and a headliner of some sort, and fixing the crank for the vent which is currently broken. The latch for the propane doesn't work and the refrigerator access door is missing. 

-Its currently mounted via turnbuckles and eye bolts to the factory tie downs. I check them often as I don't expect the factory mounts to be a permanent solution but so far so good. I'd like to bolt it to the bed if possible but I'm not entirely sure of the best way to go about this.  

I am open to suggestions and would be grateful for any input that seems relevant. I tend to be pretty good at tinkering but this project will require a great deal of learning on my part. I'm located in Oregon and will be doing essentially all of the work on public lands, in Wally World parking lots, and sometimes at the winery I work at which has a pretty well equipped shop. My budget is tight so many materials will likely be recycled or repurposed and the sooner I can get this thing fixed up the better as once its a bit more homey I will be moving on from my current situation.

And of course here are some photos.  I will take more as I work, these are just a couple I quickly snapped. 

Truck4.jpg

Truck5.jpg

#2 franthony

franthony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:52 AM

Here is the inside: 

Truck8.jpg

#3 franthony

franthony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:53 AM

And this was my previous set-up:

Truck7.jpg

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:30 AM

Congrats and welcome.

If you need info that can't be found here on the forum, or help with repairs, I'd suggest calling ATC in Sacramento. There's a good chance that Marty and Jeff had a hand in building your camper when they were with Four Wheel. Your Fleet looks way more comfortable than the canopy.

I am haunted by waters

#5 rtpvibes

rtpvibes

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:50 PM

Enjoy making it your own. Every one starts somewhere. Happy camping

#6 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:23 PM

I like it. Seems like you have already done a good bit of homework. I just add to keep it light. With the 4 banger that would be my top priority.

#7 WyoIDI

WyoIDI

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCody, WY

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:07 PM

Nice setup!  I have an old 4runner with a 22re and I'd echo what Squatch said about keeping it light as possible.  The 22re is a legendary motor but it's very easy to bog it down with extra weight or bigger tires as i'm sure you know.  Hopefully it's a manual transmission.  I think your biggest challenges will be the sideliner and lift panels, everything else is pretty simple if you take your time and work your way thru it.  It's all been covered on this site, you just have to hunt for it sometimes.  A previous owner of my 88' grandby re-did the front lift panel and sideliner.  The lift panel is simply a single piece of 5/8" plywood only attached to the bottom original hinge and it simply flips up into place and the roof just rests on it.  You need the speaker stand lifter to lift and hold the front of the roof up while you flip up the panel but it works.  The sideliner is functional but has bunches and wrinkles all over it and looks kinda shoddy.  Have fun with it!

92' Grandby, 93' f350 7.3L CCLB

#8 fleetrunner

fleetrunner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:13 AM

Hey!
I have a very similar setup, 92 22re, older Fleet, just getting into it.
Wondering how do you have it attached to the truck.
Hope you are having a great time with the camper!
Cheers!

#9 JDeanP

JDeanP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationEl Paso, TX

Posted 14 December 2017 - 02:40 PM

Sweet rig. I really like the panorama view of the inside. Nice work.

96 F250 7.3

80 FWC Keystone

#10 Tomas Tierra

Tomas Tierra

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationHollywood Beach, Alta California

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:53 PM

My first set up was a 88 4by 22r carbureted with an 85 fleet on it.. Loved it more than my house for ten years..
Enjoy your new set up!!

Downshift early!

TT
Was, 1988 Toyota custom cab 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1995 Toyota T-100 4by with 1984 fwc Fleet
Then,1993 Toyota T-100 longbed 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
Then, 2002 Toyota Tundra AC 4by with 2002 fwc Ranger
NOW, 2005 TOYOTA TUNDRA DOUBLE CAB 4x4 WITH 2001 FWC HAWK EXT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users