• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Lardogsurf

Lardogsurf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:39 AM

Hello! I am looking to purchase our first pop-up camper for my 2010 Toyota Tacoma. I am looking at the FWC Fleet or the ATC Bobcat and can't seem to really find any major differences or advantages/disadvantages of one over the other. I would really appreciate some facts or opinions of one brand over the other. Thank you!

#2 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:53 AM

I am sure others have stronger and more researched opinions, but when I was looking at the two options last year it seemed that ATC was a smaller company with more personal service and willingness to do custom work.  FWC is a larger company with more innovative designs, and more modern materials, but unwilling to do custom work.   Not that it helps in your decision, but I don't think you can go wrong either way. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#3 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:57 AM

I have visited both factories and both have a quality product and friendly staff to assist you. I was going to order an ATC because the cost was going to be substantially less. The only option that ATC didn't offer that I wanted was hot water which I decided I could live without. Also, ATC was willing to build the cabinets to my specifications as well as building a custom wardrobe cabinet to sit to the right of the entry door. FWC will not depart from whatever is standard. Both factories worked on my first 2003 Hawk and both are very competent, but I found that ATC is far more reasonable on their labor costs. Marty actually found a few little problems when he was adding struts to my camper and fixed them for no charge. I ended up finding a 2005 Hawk that was setup pretty much how I wanted my next camper to be so I didn't order the ATC.

Marty and Jeff worked for FWC and the campers that they build are (at least the Panther that I was specing out) pretty much copies of 2003-5 Hawks. IMO the ATC is a little more spartan and practical than FWC which keeps the price down. FWC offers nice optional interior materials and I love the silver spur exterior, but I just can't justify the cost. Service wise you can't beat ATC. If you call ATC about a problem or doing some retrofits you'll usually be talking to Marty, not a service rep. Marty knows ATC as well as FWC inside and out. As you might know, FWC recently had an ownership change. Hopefully, this won't change the great customer interaction that their loyal following has come to expect. If I had to replace my Hawk today there's no doubt in my mind that I'd buy an ATC. Good luck with your decision!!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:31 AM

Having previously owned a FWC Grandby, and now an ATC Bobcat, I can say that both are well built. What swayed me to purchase an ATC to replace my Grandby was learning about the intense loyalty that ATC owners have for that company, as well as the equally intense loyalty that Marty and Jeff, the owners of ATC have for their customers. Ronin's comment about aesthetics is accurate, and his experience with ATC customer service experience is exactly the same as mine, absolutely the best. I would not hesitate to purchase another ATC if I needed to replace the Bobcat.

I am haunted by waters

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:14 PM

Another pleased owner of a 2009 ATC Bobcat.

Looked at both companies in Sept of 2009 and got a price from both.

IMO same equipment FWC/ATC ,ATC was 3K less.

Both campers are very well made I find that the FWC has more "lookie" items than I needed.

Good luck shopping.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:10 PM

Rando, Ronin, Wandering Sagebrush and Casa Escarlata Robles Too, said it all.

I also went to both companies in 2010. 

Didn't get the time of day from FWC.

Went to ATC twice (it was a long drive, might as well spend some time there), spent most of each day observing and talking about things with Marty & Jeff.

On the second trip I was already convinced to order from ATC, and we just worked out the details of what I wanted and didn't want.

I delivered to ATC the following; a FantasticFan for them to install, some left over flooring from a bathroom remodel, some flameproof marine headliner material (I didn't like what they were using at the time), and my marine LED interior lights.

As I was ordering a Bobcat shell, I wanted them to not use the standard staples at the bottom of the interior panels, I wanted them to use the same screws that they use at the top of the interior panels... no problem, I just wanted to completely remove the interior panels to add some 12 VDC wiring in the walls while I was building out the interior of my ATC Bobcat.

I ordered with a bit larger than normal deposit in mid-Fall and received the Bobcat right after Thanksgiving. I had a smile on my face from ear to ear all the way home (my face was tired after a 7 hour drive). When ever I'm camping in my Bobcat, I still have that smile.

So, you know where I stand. 

Edited by Alley-Kat, 23 July 2017 - 09:11 PM.

#7 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:56 PM

Another consideration maybe where you live.   FWC now has a dealer network where you check out the campers, have it installed, and get service work done, where as I don't think ATC has dealers.  If you are not in CA, this may be a factor. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#8 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:06 AM

My understanding is the ATC's are a little, 2", wider.  The FWC roof has fewer screws or in my case no screws since I have a "slick top" (i.e. no roof options other than the second roof vent).  The lift panels are made of different material (FWC), synthetic versus wood (ATC).  The FWC roll over couch/bed has "better" hinges (no legs).  FWC's cost more. 

#9 Lardogsurf

Lardogsurf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:23 PM

Thanks for all the opinions and information from everyone, I really appreciate it. Please keep them coming if you find you have more information to share, I certainly appreciate. I do live in CA so am considering a trip to each factory, maybe spend some time talking with the two companies. My wife really would like the hot water option so if ATC still doesn't offer a hot water heater that may well seal the deal for us. Thank again for all the help!

#10 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:57 PM

There are many ways to get a hot water for a shower (I'm assuming that is what you meant, as heating water on the stove is super easy).

Some of the hot water systems are much simpler, thus none of the issues that others have had with an FWC built-in hot water system, i.e., fails to heat water for various reasons (just when you really want it to have hot water) and of course, the maintenance requirements.

Some of the issues reported on WTW.

Over pressurization

No Hot Water

And, there are more just search for them.

I use a Zodi Extreme. I like the simple hand pump or air compressor pressurization, simple to heat, either on the stove or use a 1 lb. propane bottle like on portable camping stoves, and virtually no maintenance.

There are solar heated systems which are even easier than the Zodi Extreme, one which is the common water bag, and a neat one that is a roof mounted pipe/tube, both with gravity feed/pressurization. 

Some use one of the shower/toilet privacy tent/hut set-up outdoors with or without some sort of something to stand on to keep the feet from being in the mud. Or, some have adopted my method of an indoor shower using a shortened utility sink as the portable shower base, and use only the curtain part of the shower/toilet privacy tent/hut hanging from the ceiling. Very nice to shower inside in a nice warm, and clean environment (my wife loves it).

Edited by Alley-Kat, 24 July 2017 - 03:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users