• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#11 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:47 PM

There are many ways to get a hot water for a shower (I'm assuming that is what you meant, as heating water on the stove is super easy).

Some of the hot water systems are much simpler, thus none of the issues that others have had with an FWC built-in hot water system, i.e., fails to heat water for various reasons (just when you really want it to have hot water) and of course, the maintenance requirements.

Some of the issues reported on WTW.

Over pressurization

No Hot Water

And, there are more just search for them.

I use a Zodi Extreme. I like the simple hand pump or air compressor pressurization, simple to heat, either on the stove or use a 1 lb. propane bottle like on portable camping stoves, and virtually no maintenance.

There are solar heated systems which are even easier than the Zodi Extreme, one which is the common water bag, and a neat one that is a roof mounted pipe/tube, both with gravity feed/pressurization. 

Some use one of the shower/toilet privacy tent/hut set-up outdoors with or without some sort of something to stand on to keep the feet from being in the mud. Or, some have adopted my method of an indoor shower using a shortened utility sink as the portable shower base, and use only the curtain part of the shower/toilet privacy tent/hut hanging from the ceiling. Very nice to shower inside in a nice warm, and clean environment (my wife loves it).

The Zodi Extreme looks like a really cool system. In a prior post I had said that I wish I had hot water. I do a lot of hot springs and all I want to do is wash the sand and at times mud off after I'm done. I use a solar bag shower but I can see many uses for the Zodi. I'm looking into buying one based on your recommendation. Thanks!!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#12 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:34 PM

Don't overlook the Nemo Helio pressure shower. http://www.nemoequip...ressure Shower (Grey)

Packs down to about 8.5" diameter by 5.5" tall in its storage bag. Filled, it provides a shower for two (depending on shampooing efficiency ;)

We have inside & outside shower in our Hawk, but typically use the Helio instead as it is more efficient and more convenient. Can use non potable cold water and hot potable water to stretch water tank or just heat non potable water from stream if available. Gives one more options. There may not be a convenient rock for standing near outside shower or if a picnic table is available, lay down on the bench to wash hair. I like choices. Death Valley NP vs. Olympic NP may need different water decisions.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#13 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:35 PM

I use a Hot Juggs pump up 2 gallon portable shower.  At around $70 it is half the price of the Zodi.http://www.hotjugz.com/

It looks like the Hot Juggs and Nemo Helio are similar.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#14 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 24 July 2017 - 05:44 PM

I just re-checked the Hot Juggs price and they start at $45.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#15 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:17 PM

See... there are a bunch of ways to get a hot shower and all of them are pretty simple.

After all, we're camping, aren't we?

KISS.

Ronin, look at all the other options (mentioned above) as well, you might find one that is absolutely perfect for you!

#16 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 26 July 2017 - 03:16 PM

See... there are a bunch of ways to get a hot shower and all of them are pretty simple.

KISS.

Ronin, look at all the other options (mentioned above) as well, you might find one that is absolutely perfect for you!

Great options indeed! I've just lived w/o hot water for so long that I don't think about it except those occasional times when I wish I did. Reading about the problems people have with their built-in water systems makes me glad to not have something else to worry about.  Whenever I think I need something for my Hawk I just keep reminding myself that it's just a big tent on wheels !!

#17 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:16 PM

To offer a different view on the hot water - when we ordered our Fleet flatbed we didn't want the hot water heater.  However the more we thought about it, we realized that when we do go to sell this, hot water would kind of be expected in a $20k+ camper and even if you never turned it on, an optional extra 6 gallons of water could be useful and is easier than mounting/carrying cans.  So we added it to the order with no expectation of ever using it.   We have never had a camping set up with any sort of hot water system previously.   

However, now that we have Fleet, with hot water, we use the hot water almost every night.   We turn it on when we set up and then turn it off once it is hot.   We have the outside shower (which we use occasionally), but mostly it is doing dishes and washing our hands and faces in hot running water that makes it attractive.    It stays warm enough over night that we have at least lukewarm water in the morning as well.   The other benefit that we had not thought of is that during shoulder season and winter when it is going well below freezing you can turn the hot water heater on and it keeps your pump and plumbing warm and toasty and safe from freezing as it is all in the same cabinet.   Heating the water morning and night provides enough thermal mass to keep things above freezing all day. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#18 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:01 PM

After many years of backpacking and over 5,000 miles of multi-day rafting trips I still get a warm tingle when I flip the switch and hear my hot water heater kick on!

#19 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:25 AM

KISS.

How long have you had your Zodi - any issues? some reviewers having problem with a valve breaking?? 

#20 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:03 AM

I purchased the Zodi Extreme in 2011. I have used it at least 150 times, maybe 200 since then. While I log a lot of my travel details, I don't keep a diary as to when I shower. Once every 4-5 days when camping is what usually happens.

I'm not sure what valve has broken for other people.

The little red handle for water ON/OFF seems a bit small and if a person is treating the unit roughly I could see that as a problem area, however, I take care on my possessions, so no trouble with that little red water ON/OFF valve, which has been operated probably 4x to 6x for each time I set up the Zodi Extreme.

See my build thread (soon, as Photobucket has yet to strike this album with the 3rd party hosting limitation) for the details on how I have the indoor portable shower working. You can wade through the entire build thread (actually two builds in the same camper, the thread has multiple pages, long messages on each page with lots of photos) or simply go to page 2, message #16 where the indoor portable shower description starts and ends at message #19.

Edited by Alley-Kat, 27 July 2017 - 03:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users