#1 Wyo1

Wyo1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:28 AM

Hello all,
Back in April I bought a 1980 Fleet with the intentions of completely rebuilding it similar to what PokyBro has done. However after giving it some thought, I decided I'd be better off to just simply build a camper from scratch. I paid $1000 for my Fleet and the only thing I would be using from it was the frame. Not to mention all the work required to strip it down to the frame and then having to alter it to the specs I wanted. With that said, I began spending countless hours planning, researching and taking measurements from the old Fleet. I liked the width of the old Fleet but also liked the additional room the extra 6" of width a new Fleet has, but didn't like how much wider than my Tacoma it would be. So I settled on splitting the difference and designing a 72" wide camper. With my design plan in place and calculating material, I decided to start ordering pieces and parts. It's been slow making progress, but it is starting to come along nicely with the frame nearing completion. Fortunately I have a good friend who owns, and is quite competent with, a tig welder. Here is my progress so far:
IMG_1672.JPG IMG_1675.JPG IMG_1737.JPG IMG_1736.JPG

#2 Wyo1

Wyo1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 02:30 AM

IMG_1810.JPG IMG_1814.JPG IMG_1823.JPG IMG_1824.JPG

#3 WyoIDI

WyoIDI

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCody, WY

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:03 AM

Very cool!

92' Grandby, 93' f350 7.3L CCLB

#4 GoinBoardin

GoinBoardin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationWY

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:07 AM

I like it! I've repeatedly said that I should have started from scratch. Lots of fixing or altering on my Grandby rebuild/flatbed conversion.

#5 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 01:48 AM

I love these kinds of threads....looking forward to following along.

#6 Wyo1

Wyo1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:56 AM

Waiting for the paint to completely dry on the floor pack, got the board for the cab over cut, and started cutting the channel so it can bend around the corners of said board. Ought to be able to assemble floor pack to frame tomorrow night.IMG_1830.JPG IMG_1831.JPG IMG_1829.JPG

#7 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:35 AM

Hey Wyo1,

Just wanted to compliment you on your build that is well underway. You're very fortunate to have a welder buddy with a tig welder, that should cut some cost, but more important, you can keep a check on keeping everything true and strait.. It shows that you've put a lot of planning into this, and I'm betting it turns out spectacular!

Good luck, and I'm looking forward to following your build thread!

Poky

1999 F250 crew cab SRW, 7.3 Powerstroke TD

1981 Grandby shortened to a Hawk

Build thread / https://www.wanderth...by-into-a-hawk/

#8 Wyo1

Wyo1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 04:15 PM

Hey Poky, thanks for the compliments! Following your rebuild has been an invaluable resource for me. Slowly but steadily I'm making progress.
I now have the floor pack painted, installed, and spray coated the outside with UPol Raptor spray on bed liner. Looks to be pretty good quality stuff, went down easy, and is UV resistant so it's not supposed to fade.
Apparently can't post photos from my phone, so will put some up later today.

#9 Wyo1

Wyo1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:47 PM

IMG_1837.JPG IMG_1838.JPG IMG_1839.JPG

#10 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:19 AM

Wyo1. looks very good. I used Raptor on my floor and roof (color matched) years ago and think it is the only way to go. The camper won't slide around on your truck either.

cwd

CWDT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users