* * * * * 1 votes

DIY Camper Build From Scratch

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#11 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:17 AM

Nice work!

#12 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 July 2017 - 02:40 PM

I love these kinds of threads....looking forward to following along.

x2!

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#13 Wyo1

Wyo1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 02:43 AM

Not much to report on my build lately, had to take the weekend off to do some camping, hiking, and fishing. I did get the tie down points attached to the frame. I opted to use some pretty cool little quick disconnect anchor points. Rated at 4000 lbs. straight pull breaking strength, they should be plenty strong.IMG_1854.JPG IMG_1855.JPG IMG_1864.JPG IMG_1865.JPG

#14 Wyo1

Wyo1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:41 PM

I'm all ready to have the sides welded on and complete the main body frame of the camper. Just waiting for when my friend can make some time to weld it up for me. Started working on the roof frame. I've got to figure out how to put a little arch in the center roof supports. May just take it to a machine shop and have them do it for me. I'm thinking an inch and a half should be adequate, anyone know how much arch there is on the roof of a factory built fwc?
IMG_1877.JPG IMG_1878.JPG IMG_1882.JPG IMG_1883.JPG IMG_1881.JPG

#15 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:47 PM

Nice and the quick connect anchors are cute, but were you fishing? :)

cwd

CWDT

#16 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:12 AM

All I can say is double wow... great plan and method. It must be very gratifying to see how far it has come.... 

looks forward to more of your progress reports... ( and I am shaking my head at my worries of my small project of a counter re-do!

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#17 Wyo1

Wyo1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:53 PM

After a long and unproductive fall/winter, I’ve finally got back to working on the camper. Started building the lift panels over the weekend. Very thankful for all the valuable information provided by others. Between checking and rechecking all info I could find, and getting measurements from my brothers grandby (in AZ, I’m in WY)
I started building my lift panels. I added an inch of height to them and I really think I’ve done it all correctly. All the pieces for the panels are cut and ready to be assembled, but naturally in my small town the proper rivets cannot be found. So I have a question for others that have built their own lift panels, what rivets do you recommend. Looks like I need 1/8” diameter and enough length for approx. 3/16” thickness of panel and hinge. It looks like a rivet with larger head is preferred, but is everyone else using aluminum or steel rivets?
IMG_4169.JPG IMG_4170.JPG

#18 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 27 March 2018 - 12:47 AM

Liking your build.

This question is probably too late for you but I am wondering if anyone has considered making the lift panels out of Aluminum plate or welding up something.  It seems to me that they could be light weighted with cutouts that would also provide access to the inside of the canvas behind the lift panels (where it is hard to keep clean and wipe off condensation to prevent mold growth.

I suspect Aluminum might be lighter, stronger and importantly less prone to degradation as well.  I have done no engineering related to doing this so perhaps there is a good reason I have never seen anyone do this.

Craig

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#19 Wyo1

Wyo1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 01:46 AM

Liking your build.

This question is probably too late for you but I am wondering if anyone has considered making the lift panels out of Aluminum plate or welding up something. It seems to me that they could be light weighted with cutouts that would also provide access to the inside of the canvas behind the lift panels (where it is hard to keep clean and wipe off condensation to prevent mold growth.

I suspect Aluminum might be lighter, stronger and importantly less prone to degradation as well. I have done no engineering related to doing this so perhaps there is a good reason I have never seen anyone do this.

Craig

My panels are made from aluminum composite paneling. Should be stronger than wood and no rotting, probably lighter too. The material is commonly used in sign making.

#20 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 27 March 2018 - 03:09 AM

Wyo1,

Nice to see you back at it, and posting again. 

Regarding the rivets used for the lift panels, here are a few thoughts. I did use 1/8" diameter for the hinges, and I apologize but I can't remember the length, but somewhere between 3/8" to 1/2". The correct term for the larger head is "large flange"rivets. You can find them by doing a search on eBay, but it may take some looking for all aluminum, which is best for avoiding rust.

You could take some of your scrap material and do some testing for length with standard flange rivets, keeping in mind you may need to flatten them a bit, especially on the center hinge for complete folding. You need enough length to get enough of the rivet crushing to hold the work. Too short and they barely crush before snapping off. Choosing aluminum composite paneling sounds like a good idea, I'll be anxious to see how it turns out. It occurs to me that you may not need the large flange rivets in your application, since you may not have the same issue of wood that crushes a bit around the rivets, especially when flattening them out a bit, as discussed above.

Shellback did his lift panels out of aluminum panels as well, so perhaps he can chime in on the rivets he used.

You could call ATC to ask specifically what size rivets they use, as well.

hope that helps a little.

Poky

1999 F250 crew cab SRW, 7.3 Powerstroke TD

1981 Grandby shortened to a Hawk

Build thread / https://www.wanderth...by-into-a-hawk/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users