#21 GoinBoardin

GoinBoardin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationWY

Posted 27 March 2018 - 06:14 AM

Liking your build.

This question is probably too late for you but I am wondering if anyone has considered making the lift panels out of Aluminum plate or welding up something. It seems to me that they could be light weighted with cutouts that would also provide access to the inside of the canvas behind the lift panels (where it is hard to keep clean and wipe off condensation to prevent mold growth.

I suspect Aluminum might be lighter, stronger and importantly less prone to degradation as well. I have done no engineering related to doing this so perhaps there is a good reason I have never seen anyone do this.

Craig

I made a set of lifts for my Fleet out of 3/4" square steel tube. I wanted 34" of lift so I could stand up plus a little extra room. It's sort of based on the electrical conduit design that's floating around wtw and expo, but folds more flat so it doesn't eat up matress storage space. It's posted on expedition portal in my Fleet flatbed conversion thread (my only thread on expo, same user name). I'd call it version 1: works, but I would invert the mechanism, and make the hinge mounts beefier.

#22 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:26 AM

GoinBoardin,

I am familiar with the conduit approach but I am not a big fan of it.  Too many sharp corners and such to catch material or skin.

I was thinking of basically the same panel shape as is used by FWC but made out of Aluminum with large rounded corner triangular light weighting holes cut out of it.  Could be machined out of heavier billet type material or welded up or cut out of thicker aluminum plate (not exactly sure the best approach).  But I think it would have superior strength, not be susceptible to water damage and as I wrote earlier allow easy access behind the lift panels.

The lift panels in my present FWC Keystone panels are still in great shape but I got the idea several years ago when I was contemplating refurbishing my previous FWC Keystone before I found and bought the one I have now and before I sold the old one.

All that written, I will go find your build on EP and take a look.

Edit: I took a look - nice job on the flatbed conversion.   I like your take on the lift but still have reservations about the protrusions and places where canvas can snag and skin can get scraped/cut.  I does appear to be more robust than the EMT versions I have seen.

Are you seeing any scuffing on the canvas where it rubs on the lift components?  Any problems with bedding or shin getting snagged on the protrusions (attach points, fasteners, pivot, tube ends)?

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 28 March 2018 - 05:22 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#23 Wyo1

Wyo1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 12:09 AM

Wyo1,

Nice to see you back at it, and posting again.

Regarding the rivets used for the lift panels, here are a few thoughts. I did use 1/8" diameter for the hinges, and I apologize but I can't remember the length, but somewhere between 3/8" to 1/2". The correct term for the larger head is "large flange"rivets. You can find them by doing a search on eBay, but it may take some looking for all aluminum, which is best for avoiding rust.

You could take some of your scrap material and do some testing for length with standard flange rivets, keeping in mind you may need to flatten them a bit, especially on the center hinge for complete folding. You need enough length to get enough of the rivet crushing to hold the work. Too short and they barely crush before snapping off. Choosing aluminum composite paneling sounds like a good idea, I'll be anxious to see how it turns out. It occurs to me that you may not need the large flange rivets in your application, since you may not have the same issue of wood that crushes a bit around the rivets, especially when flattening them out a bit, as discussed above.

Shellback did his lift panels out of aluminum panels as well, so perhaps he can chime in on the rivets he used.

You could call ATC to ask specifically what size rivets they use, as well.

hope that helps a little.

Poky

Thank you for the insight poky. I found some rivets on eBay that I think will work. My lift panel plus hinge has a total thickness of 3/16” so ordered the rivets based on the mfg. stated grip range. I chose the 1/8” dia. large flange with 1/4” length...hoping they will work.
Since I have to wait for the rivets to arrive in the mail, I decided to get started on the canvas top portion of the camper. Am using the same material as Poky and others. Now just gotta research window size and placement. I have a friend that makes various leather goods including buffalo robes, so hoping I’ll be able to have him do the sewing for me.
Image1522195735.738510.jpg

#24 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 28 March 2018 - 03:23 AM

Looking forward to this build.  Wish I had the time and skill to complete something like this.

Go Pokes!

2019 Silverado 2500HD, 2017 Hawk

#25 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 28 March 2018 - 12:17 PM

Wyo1, I also built my lift panels out of ACM material. Shame you ordered the rivets, as I have a bunch. I think I bought a pack of 500 with the wide flange. I'm sorry I missed this post. My computer is in the shop and I'm trying to make do with a Amazon tablet and my Iphone.  If you can find my old thread 79 Granby, it has some good info on the lift panels I made. 

#26 philos65

philos65

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • LocationLaramie Wyoming

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:05 PM

A previous owner had replaced the lift panels with a doubled sheet of 80s type interior paneling.  There was no middle hinge.  It lay flat on the bed and lay flat above the door.  You had to lift the roof and the panel.  It wasn't a "lift" panel.  He had not installed anything to slide the panel along, so it slid along the headliner.  It worked, but the design could have been improved. 

Jeff

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4 with 80s FWC Keystone

#27 Wyo1

Wyo1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:27 PM

Wyo1, I also built my lift panels out of ACM material. Shame you ordered the rivets, as I have a bunch. I think I bought a pack of 500 with the wide flange. I'm sorry I missed this post. My computer is in the shop and I'm trying to make do with a Amazon tablet and my Iphone. If you can find my old thread 79 Granby, it has some good info on the lift panels I made.

I ordered a 500 pack of rivets myself so I’m sure to have tons of extras haha. That’s ok, they weren’t too expensive.

#28 Living The Dream

Living The Dream

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationFront Range, Colorado

Posted 30 March 2018 - 02:10 AM

Love the effort, screw it I'll build my own!  Will be so rad when done. Keep up the good work. 

My youtube channel about my Four Wheel Camper - https://www.youtube.com/c/timmorrissey

All about my camper - https://www.tgmorrissey.com/camper

Item I used in my build- http://bit.ly/TGMorrisseyParts

#29 Wyo1

Wyo1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 02:43 AM

Love the effort, screw it I'll build my own! Will be so rad when done. Keep up the good work.

I had intentions of rebuilding/modifying my 1980 fleet to that of a new one. But ultimately decided it would be cheaper and easier to start from scratch. Not to mention I could still use the old one while I built the new one.
I wanted to thank you for your videos as they have been helpful in putting together my sideliner. I did a few things differently than yours and Pokybro, but only slightly.

#30 Wyo1

Wyo1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 02:51 AM

I have been making decent progress on my camper lately. I finally have the lift panels entirely completed and they turned out quite well. And as far as I can tell, they fold up properly and as long as I install them to the camper properly, I think they’ll work perfect. Using aluminum composite paneling, they’ll never rot. I also increased the height by 1” total to 26 5/16” approx. to add height to the panels you must move the center hinge up by half the amount of extra height you want to gain. Then make the top panel taller by the other half. In my case, I moved the center hinge up 1/2” and made the top panel 1/2” taller.
I’ve also got the sideliner ready to sew, and will be taking it to a friend who has a business making leather goods and is experienced and equipped to sew thick materials. I’m thinking the sewing I need done is quite simple compared to some of the buffalo robes etc. that he builds. It really went together very good and as long as it sews up the same I’d say it’ll turn out nearly perfect. Lots of planning and playing with numbers, and the first window I laid out was slow going. But once I figured it out, the rest went a little quicker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users