5 replies to this topic

#1 flyboykev

flyboykev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:48 PM

Can anyone recommend a slide lube for the camper lift guides that they use which has good water resistance and doesn't stain the truck body below?

products I am looking at:

Liquid Wrench RV Dry Lubricant.

Vaseline

silicone white grease

thanks

#2 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • LocationSanta Rosa, Calif

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:21 PM

The guides really don't need a lube coating...they should be free to shift and move slightly and merely "guide" the direction of the top.

That being said...if you must...a light coating of a beeswax/turpentine paste and buffed off  will give you a lasting polish and not attract dust and debris as most others will.  I've used it on woodworking tools for years and periodically ...those tools used most frequently...need a bit more....but you really don't need it

If your experiencing a drag or a resistance to up or down movement....look elsewhere for the problem...most likely hydraulic pressure difference...or...proximity of the guide to any wood failure of the top frame which may allow a movement of the guide to a position where it binds....it happens..believe me :wacko:

Early CO's had problems with corner rotting at the front guide position due to all the bolt penetrations and dripping catches....as most re-builders have found...the corner is a problem...and a not so easy fix...I'm working with some different materials right now to aid in exactly that position...without having to tear everything apart....a real PIA

Edited by Rusty, 25 July 2017 - 06:26 PM.

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#3 flyboykev

flyboykev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:07 PM

the camper is pretty level in my driveway. When lowering, I have to reach up and grab the boat rack above the door and pull down the back part of the camper for it moves slower than the front to evenly drop the top.

once it starts going then it goes on its own.

raising is no problem and goes up pretty smoothly. I have put all the heavy pots and pans under the sink to eliminate weight on the upper storage areas but no changes.

it seems the port rear side is the one binding when lowering. I have also replaced this cylinder along with the two front as well. Starboard rear cylinder I just re-sealed with new O-rings.

do the needle valves control lower or raise flow?

thanks

#4 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:33 AM

most of the older ones don't have valves....and...when set properly the valves don't have to be fooled with at all .....assisting the lowering is a little something that goes along with the camper...I use the entry assist handle...a little push or pull and voila

installing valves would probably even things out...but I've dealt with mine for...a long time...so I'll leave it...I know the pull and push too well :D

I use the top of the drivers side window as a guide...as the camper comes down.....I watch the margin of the window get smaller and smaller...and push or pull to keep it aligned.....I don't open the release fully..I bleed it out slowly

usually its a good idea to do all 4 o-rings at the same time...uniform leaking

2003 Ford 250 Superduty Crew.... 7.3L PowerStroke diesel 1970 10" NCO Alaskan Firestone airbags pulling a 18' Silver Streak runabout

#5 thisoldcamper

thisoldcamper

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationIrmo, SC

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:22 AM

Check the rear glides for alignment. The back end can splay open or closed a bit, depending on how flat it sits in the truck bed. You might need to shim the base at the outer edges to get the door opening square.

#6 Rusty

Rusty

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:43 PM

Sooooo....I was having an issue with the front guides on my new 73' CO....cleaned them up with gunk spray, long wood q tips and a final of lacquer thinner on paper towels in the grooves....fronts only, since they were dragging..

after the guides were as clean as I could see...and the paper towels were coming away clean....I sprayed a coat of "Finish Line" Dry Bike Lubricant....for bicycle chains.....someone had recommended it to try...and so this old dog was more than willing to try a new trick

Worked like a charm....the front comes down so fast I'm going to do the rears so they'll keep up :D

The stuff has a teflon flouropolymer in it...slick as a whistle...and nothing to collect dirt

COMES WITH HIGH RECOMMENDATIONS....and thank you to who recommended it!!

Edited by Rusty, 26 September 2017 - 05:01 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lube, slide, grease

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users