21 replies to this topic

#11 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:19 PM

Great idea!

I hope you aren't using the solar panel for your primary source of charging the "house" battery.

Shading, even partial shading, a single cell in a 36 cell panel can reduce power output of the entire panel up to 75% according to Stanford University’s Gil Masters.  His excellent text book is Energy and Efficient Electric Power Systems.  I bought the book when I was looking at an "off the grid" home site.

No doubt you're using the truck's alternator to charge the "house" when motoring.  But when the kayak is off the roof, and camping, you might want to consider moving the front crossbar to prevent shade on the panel to achieve max available power output.

Edited by Advmoto18, 04 July 2018 - 10:21 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#12 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:12 AM

Our Hawk came with a Hullivator, thrown into the sale  :)

We used it for a tandem 70# boat, but found it to be cumbersome a bit Rube Goldberg (geezers will get this).

It was only one set, and was quite heavy by itself, so I sold it and bought Yakima Hully Rollers and Mako Saddles.  I already owned a number of other Yakima components, so it made sense.

We actually move this system from my wife's Subaru to the FWC Hawk/Tundra.  Everything is transfered onto my bars on a set of sawhorses, then clicked into place on the Yakima Tracks, which were a factory option.  Easy peasie.

We've done three kayak trips in the last fourteen days, and have a good system for mounting two 12' long, 50# kayaks.  The key to our system is a nice solid three step wide step stool, which also came with the camper.  I've got it mounted on the rear steps with a custom rig.

We're able to mount or dismount our two kayaks in under five minutes, using our 3' step ladder and the roller/saddle system. 

Today we went to Lake Valley Reservoir, and last weekend we four-wheeled class 3 to Fordyce Lake where we were the only boat on the water all afternoon for an eight mile paddle.  We love our FWC/kayak combo.

_DSC5372-L.jpg

Edited by Lighthawk, 05 July 2018 - 12:19 AM.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#13 cuervo

cuervo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:56 AM

An ideal setup, I can understand your pleasure, having used similar roller racks and a Pungo myself.

I had a 10' Pungo, all around perhaps the best boat I ever had, used it everywhere from ocean surf play to ankle deep trout streams.

I imagine the 12' footers would add the handy extra couple of feet to make loading and unloading that much easier.

2017 Swift on a 2017 Tacoma

#14 mhjackson123

mhjackson123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, CANADA

Posted 06 July 2018 - 05:40 AM

I just finished adding a newer way to lift my big & heavy ocean kayak onto the roof of my Eagle. I had this on my car and decided it would be great for the camper too. Here are some key points for anyone interested:

• It is a Thule "Hullivator"
  • I have mounted the Hullavator on Yakama cross bars and factory Yakama rails.
  • The kayak weighs 55 lbs. and is 17.5 feet long
  • All strapping, etc. is done on the side of the truck BEFORE lifting it up.
  • I will use a forward and aft rope to secure the ends.
  • The lift has pistons that make the boat only weigh 10 lbs for me to lift!
  • What's really cool is that the Hullavator main mounting bracket can be on two vehicles and I can put the expensive part on either of my vehicles.
  • It is sooooo easy to lift up to the roof.
  • I do NOT plan to lift the roof when camping with the kayak on top. It is easy to remove, so I will take if off the roof, and then lift the roof.
  • If you want to see how this device works...go to Youtube and search on Thule Hullavator and there are videos.

I am wondering if anyone else has tried this? Any comments if so?

Happy camping and paddling. Chris
Here's some pictures
I am curious as to how you mounted the hullavator on the round Yakima bars. The one I was looking at was for Thule rectangular bars...

--------------------------------------

FWC Hawk Shell

GMC Sierra 1500, 6.5 ft bed

#15 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,565 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:16 PM

I believe there are adapters.

I am haunted by waters

#16 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 06 July 2018 - 04:52 PM

MHJackson123...

Here you go.

How to use Thule Rack Components on a Yakima Track Stsyem.

#17 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 06 July 2018 - 11:47 PM

Anyone using the Yakima ShowBoat 66 loader to put Kayaks on their camper?

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#18 kestrel69

kestrel69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationPort Townsend WA

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:31 PM

Yakima makes a similar product called the Showdown that is a little cheaper, although still expensive

#19 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 10 July 2018 - 11:30 PM

Interesting idea.
I decided to get a trailer instead as our yaks weigh close to 70#'s each. It also gives us the ability to carry extra gear.

Just as an aside I was told it was bad juju to put a yak backwards...;-)

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#20 bike4mee

bike4mee

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationDurango Colorado

Posted 12 July 2018 - 01:35 PM

Any recommendations on a kayak that would be good for ocean waves, class 2 whitewater, able to stow 3 days worth of gear for overnights. There are so many kayaks out there these days, hard to choose. Wonder if there is a thread for this topic? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hullavator, kayak

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users