Hullavator kayak

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:43 PM

Any recommendations on a kayak that would be good for ocean waves, class 2 whitewater, able to stow 3 days worth of gear for overnights. There are so many kayaks out there these days, hard to choose. Wonder if there is a thread for this topic? 

My wife and I have big heavy Hobie Outbacks, primarily for their versatility for fishing both freshwater and ocean. This is a pretty new hobby to us. They do great on the ocean, are very stable, and we could easily pack 3 days of gear on them. But the pedal drive, rudder, and heaviness would make them a nightmare on shallow, fast-moving water through rocks. I am not a kayak expert, but I have noticed that there is no such thing as an all purpose kayak. Lots of kayak nuts have several kayaks for use in different situations. If the whitewater is important to you, you can at least rule out pedal-drive kayaks. But I think you will find that many kayakers who spend a lot of time on the ocean want something at least 12 feet long and pretty wide for stability. There are definitely people out on the salt in tiny little sport kayaks, but those are people that don't mind the occasional dunk. Those larger characteristics of an ideal ocean kayak are probably not going to be the best on whitewater. All the yakers I have seen on white water have tiny little kayaks for speed and agility.

#22 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 12 July 2018 - 02:55 PM

Bike4mee,

Why don't you start a thread with your question as I think it is a bit off topic for his thread.

I suspect some of us can and will provide some relevant links and information.

Regards,

Craig

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hullavator, kayak

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users